TF2Maps.net Mapping Contest #5: The Art Pass Contest

Porkchop

L1: Registered
Apr 6, 2009
I'm not sure why some of you are complaining about how it plays, or how it will play.

It's a detailing contest.

Nothing said this will be the final layout to go in game, just that the winner will go official. The winning map will be theirs to modify to their hearts content, just like every other map that's gone official.

Reactor

Jul 16, 2010
It's not that I don't want to enter, it's just that the map feels like it was made in a day to appease a request.

You have a point, the map kind of does look like a days work.

Anyways, I have a question, can you move/add brushes that they added if it doesn't' change the total layout? This map is like a big square.

Jan 20, 2010
Edit: Sorry, DrPepper. The dude is just bothering me.

Last edited:

n30n

L4: Comfortable Member
Jul 13, 2009
Great new contest! Some examples of acceptable changes would be helpful. And link to map in first post.

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
It's not that I don't want to enter, it's just that the map feels like it was made in a day to appease a request.
I'm not sure what Valve's development cycle is on creating maps internally. Maybe they detail then tinker with the layout. Sure, we might not think thats optimal but it probably works for them.

NovaSilisko

L42: Life, the Universe and Everything
aa
Feb 3, 2009
What's the point of entering when one of the big shots who always wins contests wins anyway?

Jan 20, 2010
Some people *coughTPGcough* are posting their threads for their unfinished maps right now. Would you (DrP) suggest doing that or do you not care?

Jan 20, 2010
Isn't that the point of the contest?

Just seems a bit early. I guess thinking about it, it doesn't matter much. I would guess it'd probably be best to have something to show first, though, before one makes a thread.

I agree. JoshuaC, please get out with your opinions.

DrP edited that post for a reason. I'd appreciate it if you didn't quote it. >_>

NovaSilisko

L42: Life, the Universe and Everything
aa
Feb 3, 2009
Addendum:

This is a really, really bad idea.

At least with the other major contests you ended up with a bunch of complete, unique maps.

This time you just end up with dozens of stylistical variations on THE SAME MAP, the ones that don't win become completely useless. It's not like the minicontests where it was just a small area of detail, this is an entire map.

Reactor

Jul 16, 2010
Addendum:

This is a really, really bad idea.

At least with the other major contests you ended up with a bunch of complete, unique maps.

This time you just end up with dozens of stylistical variations on THE SAME MAP, the ones that don't win become completely useless. It's not like the minicontests where it was just a small area of detail, this is an entire map.

I have to agree. There's one person that will win, everyone should at least get a badge or something in-game if they sent in a valid entry. (Valid as in, made by them, followed the rules, et cetera.)