TF2Maps.net Mapping Assignment Frenzy

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Yeah. That kinda sucks but at least we still have gamedays.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
I'm mad at this contest because everybody's busy working on it all the time and nobody wants to test any more :(

What if later assignments require testing? :O

Sergis

L666: ])oo]v[
aa
Jul 22, 2009
I think in future assignments people who have slight rule violations should get a vote penalty instead of DQ. Either an absolute -5 or -10 votes or relative -20% of total votes or something. That would keep them from taking top spots, while still allowing to participate in the assignment.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
I think in future assignments people who have slight rule violations should get a vote penalty instead of DQ. Either an absolute -5 or -10 votes or relative -20% of total votes or something. That would keep them from taking top spots, while still allowing to participate in the assignment.

I think that defeats the purpose of rules in the first place. And will only make my job harder.

The question I have for you is rather; why should that be implemented?
In all the cases of disqualifications so far, I've been able to point to a single sentence rule and say "you broke this one". Part of the assignment is to follow the rules and respect the deadline.

I try to make my rules clear, and easy to understand.
If something is unclear, I will gladly explain and perhaps update the rule to explain it better.

There are far too many special cases to list them all in the opening rule-list. Almost every time someone asks me about a rule, going "is it okay if I do X??" they've actually understood the rule and it's purpose/intention but are trying to work-around it and somehow break the rule "legally". (tiring as hell to deal with)

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
mmm I finally decided what to make the next assignment, so:

Assignment #5 starts August 18th (Thursday)

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Are you doing the "voted in 3, 6, 9 assignments" points at the end? Cause i'm not sure which thing i got the point for in the latest score chart update.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Also how are you telling when we've voted? I voted in everything. I'm not sure if I need to post also or if you're just like, checking the SQL tables or what

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Are you doing the "voted in 3, 6, 9 assignments" points at the end? Cause i'm not sure which thing i got the point for in the latest score chart update.

I have not done these yet, I'll get to it when I have time I guess.

Also how are you telling when we've voted? I voted in everything. I'm not sure if I need to post also or if you're just like, checking the SQL tables or what

The votes are marked as public, so anyone can see what people vote for.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
I've decided to put Assignments on hold indefinitely.

Reason: I'm not really all that motivated, It's actually more work than I anticipated.
School is kicking in for most of our userbase. I also fear burning people out. The participation numbers dropped really low during #3&4, I was expecting a slight improvement for #5 but I was mistaken.

So #5 is the last assignment (It will fully run it's course, I'm not cutting it off!) of this "season", "part1" call it anything. It will resume some other day, hopefully :p
I was always planning on ending on a much more extravagant assignment, but as this is a unscheduled break in the program, this is what you get.

While the last one is still yet to be finished properly. I still think it would be good to start the "tell ravidge what he could have done better" session.
A lot of things have not gone as I initially imagined it when I first came up with this concept. Well, it's a new competition format after all, so let's hear some opinions.

Last edited:

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Next time you want to run one, I would suggest gathering tons of assignment ideas from people and invite discussion on them. After that you set up a huge multiple choice poll to see what people would be interested in. Then from that you could select ones to use.

There is the risk of people "cheating" by knowing what might come ahead of time, but if there is enough ideas thrown around you should be able to only pick some. Plus you could always toss in a few you make up yourself.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
What stopped me from doing the assignments wasn't really a lack of ideas or the inability to work under constraints so much as I couldn't meet the deadlines. This is partially my fault as I work full time and my commute adds another 10-12 hours to my work week, but when I've got 72 hours to do something and half of that is sleep/work and I have other things to do besides, it's just not enough. I imagine a lot of people were in the same or a similar boat.

Stuff like modeling and texture creation I wasn't very inclined to learn or do. I make textures when I need them and since I didn't really need any I couldn't think of what to do. As for modeling, yeah it's a good time to learn, but it'll take me weeks to understand how to model the way some people here do--why bother entering something subpar when I'm not going to win? It's the same reason I won't be getting a Mapper's Medallion (like anyone will lmbo). I tried modeling some letters and 3DS Max shit on me. Then I tried a telescope and 3DS Max shit on me. Then I had to go to work. There's only so much I can rely on others in chat for when they are working on their own entries or have other things to do (work/school).

Something that could be interesting is making it an actual assignment frenzy: allow people to work on any number of 3 or 5 assignments for a few weeks and then judge them separately.

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
Yeah it was a cool thing while it lasted.

I think the biggest thing was just a small timeframe. Really a crunch for some of the assignments even if you have time (I know that's the point, but different to do it with spare time and get it done in 72 hours than to only have maybe 12 hours to spare in the alotted timeframe).

If they do happen again they should span over a weekend. More people will likely have some free time that way.

Sergis

L666: ])oo]v[
aa
Jul 22, 2009
Next time you want to run one, I would suggest gathering tons of assignment ideas from people and invite discussion on them. After that you set up a huge multiple choice poll to see what people would be interested in. Then from that you could select ones to use.

There is the risk of people "cheating" by knowing what might come ahead of time, but if there is enough ideas thrown around you should be able to only pick some. Plus you could always toss in a few you make up yourself.

i'd prefer undiscussed assignments. i trust ravidge not to make stupid shit and without a discussion, there would be no way of knowing assignments beforehand. i find them more fun with having no idea at all what's coming next.

timeframe wise, i preferred af3/4 scheme over "you have 3 days, clock is ticking". that allowed more flexibility in schedules and i'm sure if af3/4 were actual mapping assignments, we'd have a lot more entries.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
The point wasn't that I don't trust him, but rather to ensure higher levels of participation by doing things that people already said they were interested in.