TF2Maps.net Major Mapping Contest #10: A Tale of Two Skillsets

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
Medieval mode is very hard to judge objectively against the other gamemodes- concerns of balance and gameplay are thrown out of the window at a high level in exchange for wahoo whizz-bang lets all go fish scout kerr-azy fun.

Which is fine, but sufficiently different to normal tf2 that we don't think we can adequately compare the two on any kind of fair level. There's big, simplistic, frankly poorly-thought-through changes at gameplay level that make it closer to VSH or duel or similar than standard tf2. They're difficult to compare fairly, so we decided not to.

Harribo

aa
Nov 1, 2009
I think with the amount of custom gamemodes allowed in this contest there are plenty of gamemodes here that are hard to judge against one another and medieval is no different to them. I mean MvM I would say is an order of magnitude harder to effectively compare to other gamemodes than medieval is.

Sep 7, 2012
I have a few questions.

1) For the "Layout" portion of this contest, are maps only accepted if they were started following the posting of this thread, or will you be accepting updates to maps with threads already on the forums? For example, if I updated koth_sloth to a7, would that be a valid entry? I would imagine the answer is no but it doesn't seem to be explicitly stated. (Perhaps I'm just blind)

2) Will maps from the 72-Hour competition be accepted into the "Layout" portion of the contest?

3) Why the restriction on the number of maps submitted per player?

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
I have a few questions.

1) For the "Layout" portion of this contest, are maps only accepted if they were started following the posting of this thread, or will you be accepting updates to maps with threads already on the forums? For example, if I updated koth_sloth to a7, would that be a valid entry? I would imagine the answer is no but it doesn't seem to be explicitly stated. (Perhaps I'm just blind)

No, but you are right, we didn't explicitly state it. Sorry!

2) Will maps from the 72-Hour competition be accepted into the "Layout" portion of the contest?

Yes, but remember the detail restrictions.

3) Why the restriction on the number of maps submitted per player?

We don't want people who simply have more time to work given an unfair advantage.

cyked

L3: Member
Dec 18, 2009

What if there aren’t enough layouts entered?
We’ll find other layouts, whether from non-contest maps, or from the orphaned maps repository. We have ways.

*crosses fingers for cp_gravelrocket*​

cyked

L3: Member
Dec 18, 2009
FYI we've been playing gravelrocket recently in my sunday events, might wanna checkout the feedback on feedback.tf2maps.net

Oh wow thats actaully pretty cool. Maybe I'll have to start getting back into tf2.

Would be nice if I could use hammer (or some equivilent) in linux though :\

*goes to reformat HDD*

Sergis

L666: ])oo]v[
aa
Jul 22, 2009
Rules: Stage 1, Layout Stage
  • You are not allowed to steal any part of any other map. Doing so will result in disqualification of your map.

how much stealing is stealing? if i wanted to take the halfspire i made in formercornfield and play around with it a bit, would i be walking the fine line or would i be way past it in the outlaw territory?

koth_former_cornfield_b10004.jpg

that thing is like badlands bridge tho - change too much and it becomes either bad or generic :D three different tries later best i can come up with is this
koth_freshwater_a10003.jpg

bonus info - the plan is to detail it myself in the second stage...in a similar manner to formercornfield as well
bonus info 2 - its kinda expanding my own map so not really stealing...but its not exactly being original too

what say ye, o rigorous contest arbiters?

Fish 2.0

L6: Sharp Member
Nov 22, 2012
how much stealing is stealing? if i wanted to take the halfspire i made in formercornfield and play around with it a bit, would i be walking the fine line or would i be way past it in the outlaw territory?

bonus info - the plan is to detail it myself in the second stage...in a similar manner to formercornfield as well
bonus info 2 - its kinda expanding my own map so not really stealing...but its not exactly being original too

what say ye, o rigorous contest arbiters?

I would say copy+paste is stealing, if you took the areas surrounding the point and mimicked them would be stealing, but if you're just doing a raised point with a pass under it, I mean... 'theme' (as in made of wood, not concrete slabs) it differently, perhaps?

Sergis

L666: ])oo]v[
aa
Jul 22, 2009
I would say copy+paste is stealing, if you took the areas surrounding the point and mimicked them would be stealing, but if you're just doing a raised point with a pass under it, I mean... 'theme' (as in made of wood, not concrete slabs) it differently, perhaps?

well the nosteal rule is for the first part where we have no theming and i mimic something existing close enough to not feel quite safe doing so :p gotta recheck just to be sure

edit: and another question - can we do a somewhat detailed map for 72h, then undetail it for this contest?

Last edited:

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
If it looks like it's stolen from another map, we're going to investigate it and determine how close to stealing it is or not. This applies to the Layout and Detailing part of the contest. If you think it's close enough to get in trouble, it probably is.

edit: and another question - can we do a somewhat detailed map for 72h, then undetail it for this contest?

Yes.