TF2Maps.net Detailing Mini-Contest 2013

Meldriz

L1: Registered
Aug 28, 2013
If you mean as your one included shot of the map, then no that would not be allowed. TF2 screenshots only. ;)

Would additional sfm shots be allowed just for decorative purposes or might that give an unfair advantage?

Fantaboi

Gone and one day forgotten
aa
Mar 11, 2013
Hey I had a random Idea and now I gotta question now to ask.
Idea:
I'm thinking of making a montage like video (not mlghardscopesxxxXX, more like scenic, really showing the maps) using all the entries in this contest.

Similer to my Koth workstation video but without any gameplay.

Question
What song should I use in the background?
I've made a small list of songs in order of what I think would be good, but what do you guys reckon?The list can be found here

Egan

aa
Feb 14, 2010
I'm thinking of making a montage .. using all the entries in this contest.

What song should I use in the background?

I was also thinking of making a video showcasing the maps but decided against it because I thought I might misrepresent the maps in some way. (Like using unrelated music to cover up the sound design work, for instance).

However, back in the ctfplr contest a guy named Ian Boswell made videos showcasing his opinions of each map, like small review videos, which I thought worked out pretty well. So I wouldn't have a problem with those types of videos here either: what you think of each map, or your perspective on it. Videos that don't misrepresent the map since it's labelled as opinion. (I do think it would be pretty difficult to not misrepresent the map in some way with just a quick flythrough of each area).

Fantaboi

aa
Mar 11, 2013
I was also thinking of making a video showcasing the maps but decided against it because I thought I might misrepresent the maps in some way. (Like using unrelated music to cover up the sound design work, for instance).

However, back in the ctfplr contest a guy named Ian Boswell made videos showcasing his opinions of each map, like small review videos, which I thought worked out pretty well. So I wouldn't have a problem with those types of videos here either: what you think of each map, or your perspective on it. Videos that don't misrepresent the map since it's labelled as opinion. (I do think it would be pretty difficult to not misrepresent the map in some way with just a quick flythrough of each area).

Thanks for all the advice.
It's probably me being weird, but what exactly do you mean by misinterpreting a map? Do you mean by focusing on the wrong things or not matching the mood of the map with the music.
I do enjoy a good challenge, thanks in advance

Egan

aa
Feb 14, 2010
Do you mean by focusing on the wrong things or not matching the mood of the map with the music.

The former, mostly. A flythrough of each map would probably be what people would judge instead of actually playing through each map themselves, and it does make sense to: it's faster, it's easier, it's pretty much the same thing. But there is room for error; there's a chance you might miss something important in the map which ripples through each viewer's votes. (Granted the maps are relatively small and it would be hard to miss something important, but I think it's still better for the voters to play each map themselves).

So an opinion piece (respectfully labelled so as well) would be better since the viewers know it might not be exactly how the maps appear and that they should probably play the maps themselves.

It's a tricky subject for something as small as a detailing mini-contest, but it is definitely important for larger scale contests, so it couldn't hurt. :p

Fantaboi

aa
Mar 11, 2013
. (Granted the maps are relatively small and it would be hard to miss something important, but I think it's still better for the voters to play each map themselves).

I think I should release it once voting is over(if I do follow through with it) I don't want the video to influence people's votes towards a certain map and away from others. Art is in the eye of the beholder, and I shouldn't be forcing where they look.

Fantaboi

aa
Mar 11, 2013
Last edited: