Tf2Maps.net 72hr Summer Mapping Contest - VOTING THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2010
ctf_redplant Actually a really fun map. It's a really nice size (server might not have been full?), and all the routes are equally effective. Really love the route with the rocks. You could have gone the easier route and themed it spytech like the rest of the map, but it works really well. :)

cp_snowstation I love 3CP A/D and I don't feel there are nearly enough of them out there. Last is a pain to push, but when you finally cap, you feel good. Really like the first CP.

ctf_encounter Two ctf maps?! What is this? Yep! I really liked this map. The layout was a bit confusing at first, but once I got the hang of it, I really enjoyed it. Suffers from the "two entrances to intel" problem, but that's just part of ctf.

ibex

aa
Sep 1, 2013
My votes:
plr_micnax --- good use of the theme "war of the worlds", and is pretty fun to play. only issue is how short the overall timer is
ctf_redplanet --- the detailing and gameplay are really interesting
pl_inari --- probably the only map that has regular/fun tf2 gameplay, though the area before last is a bit of a mess

Other things:
like others I'd say koth_frederik has a lot of potential with it's mid, though it feels like you were trying to decide between making it koth or 5cp, or were short on time
the detailing of cp_snowstation is nice, bak you do do pretty well at creating simple non-intrusive, but pretty detailing---but the gameplay is rough as first/last don't play well if the teams are just minutely inbalanced
cp_alex76 also felt really smooth, but I didn't get to play much of it
koth_launched looks really nice, and plays pretty well---however, for how large it is, it is too open to be all around balanced
pl_mortalkombat is fun, but feels cramped almost everywhere
---I'll post more as I remember

Last edited:

Egan

aa
Feb 14, 2010
arena_byre_72_a3 - a lot of people were confused when we would rush the points and win the round very quickly. it was odd that rushing the points was the dominant strategy instead of arena's regular combat. otherwise it was pretty fast paced and you always felt like you were in danger which I particularly like in videogames - stress. didn't really use the theme.

arena_doge_72 - I think I heard this was a joke map made in 2 hours, but if it wasn't it actually plays like one! map is too small, and becomes unfun at second round. didn't really use the theme.

arena_egan_72 - alien too weak in late round. probably should have cut the damage resistance and gave blue minicrits. increasing the red respawn timer i guess was a bad decision but maybe thats the moral is that if you have 24 hours left in the 72 hour contest and you're making a new mode and your map plays 'pretty good' understand that it's risking a lot to change the gameplay around again even if you think it will fix the mode.

arena_loggery_72_a5 - too flat and open to have much meaningful combat for most classes, it also made the routes feel pretty spaced apart and therefore predictable where enemies were. thats something that arena is great for - predicting where the enemy will show up. thats why large spaces where you can see all routes are bad for arena (this was a large complaint from many players on [arenafortress]).

arena_mhanko_72 - gets boring too fast cause theres not enough variation in the routes. I remember mentioning to exagerrate the building geometry outward into the middle and it seems you did slightly, but I meant like 4x as much as you ended up doing - really shifting the space to change sightlines / gameplay. you mentioned you wanted that sniper balcony because it gives good sight over the point, and that's true, but it was a very tough spot to counter so it was too powerful.

cp_alex76_72_a4 - good, last too hard to attack it seemed some rounds. didn't really use the theme.

cp_crashinburn_72_a4 - A seemed too hard to attack because the only ground route onto the point was at the back, past all the sniper & nests. people seemed confused where B was in relation to the doors from A, also it was pretty dark around B / C. There was a side route onto C from the ground but it was in total shadow so not many people seemed to notice it, so C usually had the same problem as A - ground routes only from back - past nests. didn't really use the theme.

cp_discovery_72_a1 - layout is confusing because the hud shows its a pyramid capture point map, but its actually just a line of points - confusing. last always seemed to go too quickly, I dont think there was ever defense put into that, maybe it was because people couldnt find it or it wasn't a major-enough place in the map.

cp_googugajoob_72 - I didn't really play this enough to judge the gameplay much. Mid was very dark and I had trouble counting the number of blue guys I was facing outside. Mid itself seemed scary to go onto because it was very open. Some people mentioned that the map was too large, but I'm not sure if it was or not because of my small amount of playtime. :(

cp_mt_toast_72 - like the feedback mentions, you did SetTime instead of AddTime on capture point 1 which just imploded the second capture point's gameplay. didn't really use the theme.

cp_snowstation_72_a8 - really good, good ammo/health placements, first is somewhat hard to attack, supposedly no engi setups at first (donut said this in a test so blame him if its wrong). didn't really use the theme though.

ctf_encounter_72_final - I don't like ctf so take my opinion with a grain of salt. Like in regular ctf maps I felt the intel room was far away and boring for the people inside it, like they were very disconnected from the battle. I liked the overall layout of the map, I think even scorpio's standin-styled rooftop map & this one have cool spaces and feelings. I guess I felt like it was a bit tedious constantly running around the central structure either trying to find gaps in defenses or to look for the flag carrier, the gameplay of ctf is 2boring4me in general.

ctf_miniscus_72_a4 - hard to retake control of your own base, might want to do a ctf_converge and put the spawn behind the flag room so you always face the right way - would also keep the confusion of 'oh im going the wrong way' down, cause that happens a lot initially. I kinda liked the bridge section's gameplay, how it let a lot of players out into the middle but it was difficult to take immedietly. The water mechanic was kinda neat but I don't see what it has to do with 'war of the worlds' to be honest.

ctf_orange_reclaim_72_a1 - too small and hard to understand. seemed like random placement of objects instead of any meaningful combat ideas or even routes for that matter. I guess good attempt. Its pretty normal that a mapper's first few maps are 'learning the ropes' - you'll get better.

ctf_redplanet_72_a4 - the map is pretty fun, good balance, it seems you took a lot of inspiration from converge which is good. the map seemed to get old kinda quickly, but even that happened on coverge. Im not sure how you'd fix that though tbh. good idea for the theme, but maybe it wasn't so obvious that there was a big ufo above the map - I only saw it after my 4th time playing.

koth_farm51_a2 - my fps was pretty poor on this map, mid was prop-spammy and otherwise flat to fight on, people were always on the same level seeing that the doors leading to mid were all on the same level. the green glow on mid made it really hard to tell which team people were on. the map layout was initially pretty confusing because the buffer zone ends without any view to the point or any specific way onto a 'main section' (look at lakeside/viaduct buffer zones).

koth_fredrik_72 - I didn't play this map enough.

koth_korea_72 - the map is small, no buffer zone between point and spawn so if you take control of the area right infront of point - you also control the spawns. no respawn room visualisers so you can just walk right into enemy spawns.

koth_launch_72_a7 - pretty fun map, had a cool finale. was actually bright enough to see team colours! (we joked about this in-game after playing a lot of dark maps). didn't really use the theme of 'war of the worlds' though.

koth_notrushed_72_a2 - too small both horizontally and vertically too, as a result the map gets boring quickly because of lack of combat variation.

koth_probed_72_b1 - neat idea! I know the feeling of new-gamemode-72hour-unbalanced, and I bet if you had another 30 minutes to work on this you could have just tweaked the uber time on ufo-exit players, cause that was pretty overpowered as people have mentioned in the feedback. it was also possible to gently nudge yourself towards the exit inside the ufo and collect the uber but not teleport away, which could be abused as you were standing right next to where enemies popped out of. the map layout seemed okay.

koth_something_72_b1 - the point is broken and never unlocks, as Im sure the feedback has pointed out 10 times. the map felt pretty cramped with the new buildings you added near mid, and that low route at mid still seemed cramped as we mentioned a few times. the hdr bloom was also pretty bright. you can alter the bloom scale by sending your env_tonemap_controller an input from a logic_auto at the start of the round for SetBloomScale 0.1, for instance.

koth_spoil_72_a4 - I didn't play this map. (I played previous versions, but thats not really fair to judge on).

koth_waytoofuckingfast_72 - map played well, I liked the one a way doors actually, felt like a unique koth map which is rare. didn't really use the theme.

koth_yacan1_72_a1 - weird to fight in because of all the different-height brushes cutting up the space. mid was really open and made it scary to stand on while you capped, unlike lakeside where you at least have a side building to fall back onto, or to just simply step off the stairs backwards. the upper floors were pretty dark, I made note of it in the feedback.

pl_amairo_72_a4 - awkward to defend areas, not enough indication of whats behind a corner or a wall, lots of surprising sniper sightlines and deathpits that we accidentally walked into.

pl_goldblum_a2_72 - this map is too large overall. and with no player clipping you can just sticky jump to the end of it you want. to get a good sense of scale try experimenting with how far a no-charge sticky bomb fires. see the distance in a regular payload map, and compare it to your's. its not the most elegant way to compare scale, but its not bad, and its easy.

pl_inari_72_a5 - was fun. seemed first area was capped too quickly, same thing about third. second felt pretty great. I know you mentioned that "I cant make it any more obvious" to turn left out of that forward spawn, but because its facing the wrong way it still happened that people went the wrong way, including me at times where I wasn't constantly looking at the signs. third point seems to go too quick for blue because although there is a large upper structure around the top of it, I dont think red even noticed it before they lost control of the building. dont think I ever actually went up there. the height around last might have been a bit extreme since people in the top room were shooting at people below them who seemed to never look up, but otherwise last felt okay.

pl_martialkombat_72_a3 - good your lighting isn't pale and gray anymore! I liked the gameplay on this map *up until last), it was possible to hold first and win but it was difficult and only happened with a strong defense. last felt tedious to defend, it wasn't fun I think because you don't get many intricate spaces to hold in, just the UFO top which is in line of many snipers.

pl_smash_72_a2a - when we played this people kept timing out, everyone except me, was really suspicious - so I only played previous versions of the map - which played pretty fine up to last which was sniper heaven it always seemed like.

pl_smileyship_72_a6 - very spammy intro, 3rd point, and last point - I remember feedbacking that in previous versions.

pl_starward_72_final - I remember not many people using the side exit for blue when attacking last, probably just didnt notice it at all, maybe thats not a big deal but it wasn't rare that red could push blue back to their forward spawn. attacking last was pretty spammy and the sniper sighlines were pretty rough how far back they stretched down the main path. also my fps while standing on last waspretty bad.

plr_micnax_72_a4 - I didn't play this map. (I played previous versions, but thats not really fair to judge on).

plr_vanilla_72_b5 - the invisible UFO floating around the map killing people was pretty annoying, but at least it was a guaranteed killing machine. the map seemed too easy to roll once your cart got to the straight path at the end.

sd_hd_kaptan_kul_72 - I didn't play this map.

sd_wich_72 - sometimes breaks, hard to see people through the trees when standing on ufo hill because the colours all blend together, hard to see snipers in general. second time playtesting this map it caused everyone to losed connection, not sure if server issue but every other map ran fine.

@All maps, make sure you checkout your associated feedback page available here. Lots of stuff people aren't mentioning here is in there.

My top 3 maps:
ctf_redplanet_72_a4
koth_launch_72_a7
pl_inari_72_a5

So the problem I had with this contest is same problem a lot of people had with the last 72 hour contest - which is that the theme really sways towards one specific style. In the last contest it was a particular gameplay format (setup time - kinda boring), and in this case it was a detail format and not really a gameplay format (it took me a long time to think of how 'war of the worlds' can be turned into fun gameplay). Considering in 72 hour contests we always say that we judge a map's gameplay more than its detail, it seems a bit weird that the detail pretty much became the theme of this contest. Even, I can, just like the last 72 hour contest, count on one hand how many maps really fit the theme, and not just in half-assed detail (ufo prop hovering above mid).

I think the problem with vote turnout is that a lot of people feel obliged to play every map before they vote, and with 36 maps that probably felt difficult for a lot of people. I didn't play all the maps, and I don't think anybody did in a server with other people.

Last edited:

Krayken

L1: Registered
Aug 6, 2012
cp_alex_72
By far the best in the contest, gameplay wise. The spacing/pacing/whatever is spot on, and everything feels tight and focused. Overall, really excellent design for such a short time, plus it's an amazing 5cp map. Along with that it reads and looks really well too. I have no idea where the UFOs are tho.

arena_egan
Fun yet interesting gimmick and twist on arena, and the map was quite well designed for it as well! Even tho the green mercs and giant skellingtons are a bit jarring and odd, it makes for some fun. Although it started out a bit confusing, once you get the hang of it it is a very unique and interesting little gamemode on it's own.

koth_probed
Crash does it again. How? I don't know. It played well and has a fun gimmick, I quite liked the diagonal symmetry that in the map. It felt good, nice sightlines and such, and looked amazing for the amount of time it had. The run up to mid is a bit odd, but it's fine. The map makes for focused combat over the point.

Another Bad Pun

In the shadows, he saw four eyes lit by fire
aa
Jan 15, 2011
My votes:

cp_alex76_a4: This map is pretty small, but that doesn't make it bad. It actually plays pretty well I think. It has a nice push/pull flow and some smartly placed health to support it. I don't have much to say about this one except that it's really good.

pl_martialkombat: The map was a lot fun, and I thought the interiors of the buildings were well done layout-wise. Usually the interiors are my least favorite part of the map. The outdoor arenas on this map are also very memorable to me, and I had fun on this map every time I played. Also, cool mars theme.

ctf_redplanet_72_a4: I really liked the detailing in this map, as well as the gamemode. It made ctf more dynamic I think, and there was always a big rush to get the flag out of my base. I wish the gamemode wasn't so similar to koth, but hey, it works. It's also pretty fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.