TF2 Mapping-Link Resources

ethosaur

L4: Comfortable Member
Sep 18, 2010
pleas help were can i upload my tf2 .zombie fotress.!

were can i upload my maps? i have a tf2 zombiefortress map

Axle

L1: Registered
Oct 23, 2010
wow. thanks for this list. i'v learnt how to make some new things for it. i had virtually know idea what i was doing until this. i havn't veiwed many of them yet but intend to do so. ;)

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Holy shit, i thought my map was making posts on the forum... was well confused then.

axle1lul.png

Last edited:

Scotland Tom

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 19, 2008
A couple of update suggestions for this supernaturally awesome resource.

Suggestion One:
I think the detailing links could be expanded to include YM's extensive discussion on detailing over at Nodraw.net. Direct links:

TF2: Density of Detailing
A look at the detail of TF2 Part 1: Badlands (updated version of "[Guide] Details: How Valve do it")
A look at the detail of TF2 Part 2: Goldrush
A look at the detail of TF2 Part 3: Dustbowl
A look at the detail of TF2 Part 4: 2Fort
A look at the detail of TF2 Part 5: Viaduct

Anyone looking to detail their map would most certainly benefit from having direct links to these resources (not to mention the other extremely useful articles at Nodraw).

Suggestion Two:
Sky's and Skybox's
This drives me nuts every time I scroll past it. These words are PLURAL. There isn't some guy named Sky and another guy named Skybox who made or otherwise own the linked resources. If there were two such men then an apostrophe followed by an 's' would be appropriate. But because these words are intended to be plural you're actually looking for "Skies and Skyboxes" to be your heading.

If you need further explanation of apostrophe usage check out this awesomely informative comic here: The Oatmeal: How to Use an Apostrophe

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Hey guys, just bumping this up so people can see it and all its awesomeness.

I just spent the past hour or reorganizing the set up of how these tutorials are presented, adjusting colors so it was easier to read, etc etc.

Tell me what you think, and some feedback on it... Also post what tutorials you think I should add/replace from the current list.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
no

TF2 Skybox textured should link to the VDC page rather than Shitbanana

Make the Interlopers Displacement tut link more specific (atm it's just Interlopers)

I don't think the Disp Perf Hit thread is of much importance.

"TF2Maps.net Mapping Forum" has a broken link (should be 12 instead of 5 I think)

I'd rename "Source SDK help forum" to "SPUF SDK help" or something

Under General Help, link to Muffin's screenshot tutorial

Under Mapping Communities and General Sites, maybe link to Facepunch, 2f2f, etc? Not really sure about this

For God's sake remove FPSBanana from the Map Files section

The rvanhoorn.ruhosting.nl link seems to be broken

Merge everything in the Ultimate Mapping Resource Pack into one link

Imgur on Image Hosting

remove the gamebanana link under Skies and Skyboxes (fix the spelling, too)

The Freesound Project link under Sound Effects seems to be broken

SCTF prefab link is broken (needs forums. before tf2maps.net)

Might as well remove the Overlays section, 9's link is under Texture Creation

Add PackBSP under Map Packing/ Distributing

Add BSPSource under Map Decompiling

Rename the GMax link to 3dsMax (Gmax doesn't exist anymore AFAIK)

The Milkshape 3D link seems to be broken

hfinster.de link is broken/404's

In general I don't like how many Gamebanana links there are. I may be prejudiced, but CHRIST I HATE THAT SITE

English Mobster

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 10, 2011
Last edited:

Dom.U

Jan 4, 2012
Buildings!

Hello

i have been mapping for a short time now and getting to know the editor.
I would like to see a guide telling us how to build buildings the guides seem to cover most of the bases exept for buildings. The guide needs to show us how to create a building from scratch to a decent standard including windows, stairs and a roof possibly funrnishings aswell!

PLEASE :O

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
For walls and floors and stairs and other major, big features, use brushes. For smaller details like handrails, furniture, lamps, etc use models (models are usually prop_static).

RavenStryker

Former Alias: †Blade†/Xi.Cynx
aa
Nov 25, 2008
Although they are discrete entities in Hammer, func_details are all merged into one during compile. You do not need to nodraw hidden 'detail-to-detail' faces (but you do need to nodraw world-to-detail and detail-to-world).

I don't think I quite understand what that means... Does it basically mean that anything that is func_detailed does not need to have nodraw faces where people can't see?

Boylee

pew pew pew
aa
Apr 29, 2008
I think what it means is this:

Two world faces that completely cover one another won't be rendered and hence don't need to be textured with nodraw. The same is true of detail faces that cover one another. However, if a world brush face and a detail brush face cover one another completely they will still be rendered and hence both need to be textured with nodraw.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Noticed my tutorials weren't present in the tutorials section, although i realise many people have my tutorial threads bookmarked it makes sense to have them in a resource like this. I also added Ravidge's Lighting Library to the list of resources as i didn't see it under the lighting section.

I think what i'll do is go through and reformat the 3rd and 4th OP's, consolidating them into a single post and have all lighting stuff under lighting, all layout design under layout, etc. Since there seem to be two or three lighting sections and lighting tutorials under sections such as "architecture" which makes no sense.

I also added a "stairs" section for my stairs tutorial as i wasn't sure where to put it and figured if someone could link me to the stair making script that someone recently made i could also add that into the stairs section too.

Adam Smith

Jan 9, 2018
Useful Tools

Map Packing / Distributing
  • Pakrat - Used to embed custom textures, Sounds, and Models in the .bsp file
  • 7-zip - Used to compress your .bsp's into .bsp.bz2's saving a TON of file size
  • Winrar - Great zipping utility
Map Decompiling / Extraction Tools
  • GCFScape - Explore GCF directories and extract files.
  • VMEX - Decompile BSP maps into VMF files.
Model / 3D Editors
Texture Editors/Resources

Photo Referencing and Inspiration:
Industrial photography, history and architecture

Thanks for this amazing list of useful tools.

Last edited:

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014

Narpas

Takes way to long to make and update maps
aa
Jun 11, 2015
Check the top of the first post for an even better version (that Crash linked in one of his videos but nobody seems to check for some reason)