Team Fortress 2 Update Released

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
Normally you'd fix a bug rather than working around it, but it's too late for that now. Should've been fixed like a week after the engine went public with Counter Strike, yet here we are 11 years later, now being found in TF2.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Normally you'd fix a bug rather than working around it, but it's too late for that now. Should've been fixed like a week after the engine went public with Counter Strike, yet here we are 11 years later, now being found in TF2.

It is NEVER EVER as simple as "Should've been fixed a week after the engine went public." there were probably so many more bugs of higher priority, the easiest thing is to work around such an esoteric and specific bug.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
This is the kind of stuff they were doing a week after (beta) launch:

September 28, 2007
  • Added option to change Field-of-view, between 75 & 90, from the Options->Multiplayer tab
  • Added option to disable Player sprays
  • Fixed the Flamethrower hit detection
  • Increased the Flamethrower damage at point blank range
  • Demoman's grenades (not stickybombs) no longer explode on contact after the first bounce

Can you believe there was a time when nades exploded EVEN AFTER BOUNCING!?!?!?

*rocks back and forward*
dark times man

dark times

Bogdy

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 13, 2014
I would have actually preferred demo over soldier if it was still like this.

nickybakes

You should've played Rumbleverse
aa
Jul 28, 2015

I wish I played Tf2 back in 2008/2009. I remember seeing a friend play it, but I had no idea what was going on. What was it like back then?

Izotope

Sourcerer
aa
May 13, 2013
Same with the infinite crit exploit for the enforcer:
Instead of fixing it, they worked around it by restricting taunts infront of resupply lockers.

Oatmeal

L2: Junior Member
May 17, 2014
I wish I played Tf2 back in 2008/2009. What was it like back then?
Imagine Valve adding weapons that actually improve the game instead of making it more annoying for everyone. Kritzkrieg, Flare Gun, Direct Hit, Sandvich, etc.
I was hyped before every update, now I just hope they haven't broken anything important again.

fubarFX

The "raw" in "nodraw"
aa
Jun 1, 2009
What was it like back then?
for me, TF2 used to be a really great game, it still is in some regards but it was different. What was great about early tf2 is that you automatically knew what you were up against, you identify the class of the opponent and you automatically knew what his options were. You could make a very solid decisions on the potential engagement and bail out if you know you are at a disadvantage or aren't feeling confident. bailing out usually meant falling back to your teammates who who are better equipped to deal with the situation. This promoted teamplay.

Nowadays you'll run into a someone, you'll quickly identify which class it is but that information is not as meaningful as it used to be. who knows what wacky loadout your opponent might pull off, your ability to make decisions is simply not as effective in 2016 tf2. You're basically playing blind and the game devolves into a rock/paper/scissor meatgrinder.

Engagements played out very differently. For example, playing soldier, you had a very good idea of how many rockets you needed to kill any of the classes. Given the amount of rockets in your launcher, you could quickly math up and figure out if you could afford an engagement or not. nowadays it's really hard to get a read on exactly how many rockets you'll need since there are a lot of health modifiers and damage resistances.

I have fond memories of the original tf2 and it kinda saddens me that this game is now gone. not that today's tf2 is bad or anything, it's just 2 different games in my mind.

woah didn't mean for this to be this long, oh well...

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Wait, were we talking about when it was released in 07 or late 08/09 when they were knee deep into adding weapons and started adding hats?

Cause those two things are veeeerrry different.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I'm confused. Do you people mean to tell me that being able to get outside the map isn't caused by accidental gaps in geometry that were overlooked, but something that can just happen in any map just by crouching in certain spots and... what, just phasing through solid walls?

Bogdy

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 13, 2014
I like how this thread evolved from a new TF2 patch, to an argument of why didn't they fix an old bug and then to 2008 TF2 nostalgia.

LadyRaee

CHEERFULLY SUICIDAL
Sep 1, 2012
I'm confused. Do you people mean to tell me that being able to get outside the map isn't caused by accidental gaps in geometry that were overlooked, but something that can just happen in any map just by crouching in certain spots and... what, just phasing through solid walls?

Exactly. Welcome to Source Engine. After 15 years in development. With 10+ big games being released.

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
Here's SourceRuns' wiki article on it. While they describe how to do it with just the crouch button, something you can't do in TF2, the rest of the explanation is still the same for all Source games. In TF2, you just have to find somewhere to crouch under and let the game do the uncrouching for you instead of you releasing the crouch button before pressing it again. Other than that the technique is the same.

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
Oh wait, so this is similar to how you can phase through a ceiling if you crouch under something and then taunt. Except without actually taunting. I dunno, maybe they couldn't fix it on a fundamental level, but they could probably patch in a hack that prevents what you do to trigger it.

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
Oh wait, so this is similar to how you can phase through a ceiling if you crouch under something and then taunt. Except without actually taunting. I dunno, maybe they couldn't fix it on a fundamental level, but they could probably patch in a hack that prevents what you do to trigger it.
Yes, except that taunting is harmless trough floors (with the exception of the Equalizer/Escape Plan taunt granting immunity to the taunt for the Soldier but being deadly to the person on the other side of the floor).

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
Well, this happened tonight. I assumed it was the same exploit

F4D1E9159477C078A5D22698AECA0AA7BAA7E687

But then this happened, somehow

DCF97A28886C27B4FBCA2B9A525BEAE7678FF8D6