Team Fortress 2 Update 9/15/09

Washipato

L3: Member
Jun 22, 2009
There is a new icon for players that die from fire with IgnitePlayer! Its a skull on flames, very nice

I love the sandvich, cannot wait to try it in a proper game

Tapp

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 26, 2009
The sandviches better die off, or imagine the consequences... Spam sandviches near medkit, become invincible, repeat.

PL-7764

L6: Sharp Member
Aug 4, 2009
The sandviches better die off, or imagine the consequences... Spam sandviches near medkit, become invincible, repeat.

Sandviches can only be thrown one at a time. Throw another, and the first vanishes. ;) You can't pick them up after throwing them, so there's no way a Heavy can use them to heal himself (why would he want to when he can hold onto it and heal at any time?).

Nako

L1: Registered
Aug 20, 2009
Those changes came from a secret internal beta testing where only high skilled competition players had access to, like the top European and American teams. The goal was to balance things out. The scout getting the double jump back with the Sandman came also from these secret beta tests.

Also some new ideas get tested like the spy getting new suits, like 90% fire resistance but no revolver. And yeah the heavy getting new shoes, while having selected those (instead of the melee weapons) he can run as fast as an engie. This is no joke.

I know this cos a friend of mine is an etf2l admin and he has also access to this beta.

Last edited:

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
And we know this already because everybody found out about 2 months ago. :D

Nako

L1: Registered
Aug 20, 2009
well i didnt know that you guys did know, but anyway in case you didnt know now I know that you know

weird sentence is weird

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
It's starting to look like one more of those neat actions that would effectively help teammates, but will only in reality lead me to resent them.

A heavy that is unwilling to drop his (precious) sandvich for me as i retreat on fire from a pyro, and subsequently dying from fire damage.

Like a pyro who steals the Health pack for 14hp causing my eventual slow death by fire damage. Without even having the courtesy to expend 25 ammo to airblast me out. Only then for him to be stormed by another player and die, when we could have easily defended the position together.

This happens way to often than i care to realise.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
I don't think Heavies refusing to let go of their Sandvich will prove to be as annoying as Pyros refusing to airblast teammates, because airblasting is something Pyros should do no matter what. It's a standard part of their gameplay. Heavies, on the other hand, usually prefer the shotgun as far as I know, and they only have one Sandvich (until they find a new one) so it's understandable if they want to use it themselves.

I think it's a good buff for the Heavy - I mean, most Heavy buffs are good, seeing as he's so unpopular.

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
Personally as a heavy I have always used the sandwich, for the primary reason that I so rarely have a medic on me at all times. And the buff they have given it is just plain epic. Forget the throw, the fact that it can restore 300 health in a few seconds is incredibly useful. Just 2 examples:
In furnace on point A I was being shot at from a distance by a spy and having rockets shot at me, normally at this point I would get off the point and try to get closer to them, but no, I just stood there, ate a sandwich, and at the end of it I had 250 health, by then the rest of my team arrived. Then at another point I was at half health, stopped, ate a sandwich, on my 2nd bite an engie ran up started hitting me with a wrench, got 3 hits on me, at this point I had about 210 health. I lowered the sandwich, pulled out my fists, then he killed me with a crit. But still, the fact that I still recovered overall, while being attacked is very impressive in my opinion anyways...

Fragimus_Max

L3: Member
Jan 13, 2008
2 Page Backpack... dammit... I "consolidated" several backpack items not even 72 hours ago. :(

Blutsauger... "Replaced 'No critical hits' negative attribute with '-2 health drained per second on wearer'"

Does this actually injure the Medic at full health?

Grenades/Pipes radius change: 132->159
Rocket radius change: 121->146

End result of above: Explosives have had their radius reduced at some angles, and increased at others. Radius is now consistent, angles are now irrelevant

Dunno if this is a good or bad thing for Demo and Soddy. Looks like it makes them more powerful as long as there's some type of accuracy involved.

Fixed Halo glow effect not being hidden for cloak/disguised enemy Spies

:) Darn.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
Original Bounding Box, I think.
When they say "Axially Aligned Bounding Box", it's a specific term from 3D work. It's a box that is always in the X/Y/Z orientation, so that it's really fast and easy to calculate whether a point is inside it or whether two of them intersect.

You can see some examples of AABB boxes (shot by the flamethrower and showing on victims) in YouTube - TF2 Flamethrower Mechanics Test.

Last edited:

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
Does this actually injure the Medic at full health?

Dunno if this is a good or bad thing for Demo and Soddy. Looks like it makes them more powerful as long as there's some type of accuracy involved.

No, what they did with the medic is they increased the automatic health regen by about 2 seconds, using the blut simply causes this new effect to be removed...what im not sure of is if the blut can get crits now

What I imagine the radius change will do is get rid of the appearance that they have huge range in a few directions, there have been a few times where ive jumped over stickies and been convinced there is no way they should have hit me, so...I assume this is what the change will effect

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Valve just worded it in the most hard-to-understand fashion possible. :p

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Me: Oh, and whilst I'm here...you know when you emailed someone at TF2Maps last week about custom particles in maps buggering up particles for every map afterwards? You said that you were working on fixing it. Can you give me any indication for when that fix will arrive?

Robin: We’re still investigating it. The update yesterday restructured some of that code, to fix another problem, and may have fixed it in the process.