Super Scout Bros.

Micnax

Back from the dead (again)
aa
Apr 25, 2009
My BIGGEST complaint which really was kinda game breaking for me was the way controls are set up. I know there really isn't much you can do about this, but given the forced third person, and the fact that my mouse could move which way I looked made it REALLY hard to get the keys right. Sometimes my left would take me right, up left, then right, and it just got bothersome.

It can be very simple to fix this... but would default all your key bindings. Unless, of course, there was someway to use a custom bindset without unbinding all your default ones.

J4CK8

L11: Posh Member
Mar 4, 2009
Couldn't you jsut bind the arrow keys isntead? Would be a lot easier and to me would feel right. <- and -> for left and right obv. Down for crouch, up/space for jump, enter to fire.

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
Still, the mouse would have to be unbinded to stop looking around.

That is not how it works... At all...

PenPen

L5: Dapper Member
Apr 24, 2008
Feels pretty fine except for the controls issue, were I had to press up to move forward and down to move backward (I did have this instance where I can press back/forward like it's intended but can't replicate it). I like this as an interesting concept!

Washipato

L3: Member
Jun 22, 2009
Good work. I have some suggestions

1- The player can be pushed by the same entity that pushes the spycrabs. If its a trigger_push, put a filter for red. If it's a func_conveyor, use a func_respawnvisualizer so red players can stand on it without being pushed by the conveyor.

2- Give the player the option to choose which keys to bind. You can let them choose when they are on first person.

3- Use the setangle command to change the orientation of the scout every time he wants to go forwards/backwards.

For example:
Code:
alias +scout_right "setangle 0 0 0;+forward"
alias -scout_right "-forward"

alias +scout_left "setangle 0 180 0;+forward"

Bind +scout_right and +scout_left for moving the scout

4- The camera is messed up if you restart the map. Before going thirdperson when the map starts, make the player go firstperson first, it should fix the problem.

5- It would be nice if the scout says voice commands after killing a spy-crab or finishing the level

So far, the game looks very interesting :)

Penguin

aa
May 21, 2009
Good work. I have some suggestions

1- The player can be pushed by the same entity that pushes the spycrabs. If its a trigger_push, put a filter for red. If it's a func_conveyor, use a func_respawnvisualizer so red players can stand on it without being pushed by the conveyor.

2- Give the player the option to choose which keys to bind. You can let them choose when they are on first person.

3- Use the setangle command to change the orientation of the scout every time he wants to go forwards/backwards.

For example:
Code:

Bind +scout_right and +scout_left for moving the scout

4- The camera is messed up if you restart the map. Before going thirdperson when the map starts, make the player go firstperson first, it should fix the problem.

5- It would be nice if the scout says voice commands after killing a spy-crab or finishing the level

So far, the game looks very interesting :)

Sweet Jesus, coming from you that means alot. I fixed the first point and fifth points. Thank you so much for the advice regarding camera and binds. :D

ChronoTriggerFan

L420: High Member
Feb 3, 2008
Some quick bugs I found.

You should lower this platform so you can get on top of it.
super_scout_bros_a00004.png

The lift kind of traps you down here if you get caught under it.
super_scout_bros_a00005.png

Taunting of course brings you to first person, but when getting killed by a spycrab, the whole camera gets flipped on respawn.
super_scout_bros_a00001.png

Feb 14, 2008
Sweet Jesus, coming from you that means alot. I fixed the first point and fifth points. Thank you so much for the advice regarding camera and binds. :D

Expanding upon Washipato's idea, I'd suggest two configs (.cfg) that come with the map:

ssb_start.cfg
Code:

bind a +scout_left
bind d +scout_left
map super_scout_bros_a0

ssb_end.cfg
Code:
bind a +moveleft
bind d +moveright

The former is execed, setting up binds and loading the map, the latter resets the binds to normal.

Penguin

aa
May 21, 2009
I have experimented with using a Game_UI. It gets the job done, but not well.

Caliostro

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 6, 2009
Just tried it, works a lot better than I expected.

Things to fix:

- The previously mentioned control issue. Won't go into that, you've heard it already.

- I find it rather peculiar that my guns does bugger all... Perhaps you could include some enemies that require being shot? Or, if you manage, make the guns damage all enemies, but start out with 0 ammo, and you get ammo as a "power up", like you'd get the fire flower in Super Mario.

- Some issues concerning the camera that need fixing. Specifically, camera defaults to 1st person if you taunt; defaults to a "third person over the shoulder" if you try to switch class and get "re-changed" (and which point I managed to equip the FaN for triple jumping...) etc. But these are all things you'll iron out as you go.

- Sometimes when spycrabs kill you, they die/disappear as well. Mutually assured destruction...

- Not an "error" per say, but might be fun to include sandvichs as health pick ups... Or maybe introduce the heavy as a tougher enemy, and make him drop one when killed.

Ultimately, I'm just waiting for this to get bigger and better. Lots of potential here.

Penguin

aa
May 21, 2009
Alpha 1 goes live!

In this, spycrabs are addressed! Hope you'll find them bug free now!

Caliostro

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 6, 2009
Tested this yesterday but my internet was going haywire so I couldn't post :/

Love the new spycrabs. There was still 1 time when one of the spycrabs died with me when I bumped into him, but only happened once and I haven't been able to reproduce the bug... so...yeah.

That said, I'm pretty sure this isn't supposed to happen:

super_scout_bros_a10001.jpg

super_scout_bros_a10005.jpg

super_scout_bros_a10002.jpg

I am now able to load any load out weapon I want for my scout (FaN, Bonk drink, Sandman) by exploiting a little glitch:
- Load the map while wearing your default loadout.
- Get killed and switch weapons BEFORE you respawn.
- Switch to any class.
- Wait till you respawn as scout.
- ????
- Profit

This doesn't work if you restart the map and get the weird-glitched out "over the shoulder" camera though, so you have to disconnect and reload the map entirely.

Also, in this version of the map you can't backtrack after a certain point without the FaN, since the scout can't jump as high... This means that if you miss a jump, you're forced to take the other route, which is annoying... Another design issue that I'm sure you'll fix later is that it's currently possible to just "jump over" the entire level. Going from rooftop to rooftop without ever touching the ground... Which is ok if there are enemies or challenges up there too.

Loving it so far though.

Penguin

aa
May 21, 2009
Thanks for the in-depth review, Cali. I'm looking in to various new enemies.

Doppler12

L1: Registered
Sep 10, 2009
This is awesome, just wish it was longer.... I would be thrilled to help you with this or be given the entities you used to make my own... >.> <.< this shows lots of potential to make old school Mario versus mode.