Spore!

L4: Comfortable Member
Jul 9, 2008
I started straight from the space stage, because on the other one I'm playing on normal and about 5 different people are at war with me. In the one I started on easy I have no enemies and it is way more fun, more like a sandbox. I also have the crashing problem. And I wish there was a multiplayer. I thought there was one all along and I thought that was what I was missing out on (Because I have the pirated version) But it turns out that there isn't one.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
On easy mode i started with 3 enemies in a horse shoe around me, with my home world being in enemy territory right at the centre :/ i managed to ally on my back flank which only became a hinderance as they keep getting "probed" by the grox. I tried allying with another race even further behind my current allies but when i went to hand in a mission they were converted to "spode" and attacked me. My small system was entirely surrounded by 5 enemies. After a while i managed to terraform 2 planets in my system to get an actual income and recieve the first lazer upgrade, but the enemy ships were just too numerous and captured one of my terraformed planets.

In the end i just suicide run all the enemy planets one at a time and captured them that way. Charge, half capture a city, die, charge, finish capturing city, die etc etc. It's a retarded tactic but it was the only way to stop my home world being constantly attacked.

I could barely get through the easy stage in space, i am not sure i want to try normal; let alone hard.

Last edited:

Jul 9, 2008
Ah I take back what I said about easy being fun. Now my home star system is right next to a whole group of enemies. The only difference in easy that I can see is when you're fighting other space ships, they have less health.

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
Yea, they really need to change the dynamics of the game rather than just an npc's health gauge. So that people are probably easier to befriend, fewer races start off hating you for no reason, etc.

I'm not sure whether this was after the patch since i've been ninja'ring an account on a friends pc. I suppose i'll find out next time i visit and hijack his pc again.

Arhurt

L6: Sharp Member
May 7, 2008
I think that the different ways people experience the space age are due to the procedural nature of the game, as it seeds the alien nations around you.

Wen I first got to the space age, I had about 3 races near my system, and they where all neutral and very easy to befriend. Later on I discovered two hostile races and they kept attacking me and my allies. I then proceeded to destroy their closer colonized systems using the terraforming tools to make their closer planets T0 and extinguish their colonies. I would fly to their planet, usually T1, and see what was closer to inhospitable, drop the modifier and zap back to my home planet (I got this from being a herbivore I guess).

Faster way to take out a T3 enemy planet: Fly in, drop 5 atmosphere creators and watch they drown in the oceans :thumbup1:

Spore_2008-09-19_02-16-32.png

This was once an enemie's T3 homeplanet. A few meteor showers later and they are erradicated.

Sure, it's a lot of wasted money... but I want them out of my multi-million property (currently 6 T3 planets in nearby systems that cash me 2mil+ each visit on spice sales)

Last edited:

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
id be inclined to call that a wasted opportunity arhurt...
why destroy everything when you can capture and then have a planet with a max of 90 spice and insanely fast spice production

oh and im back to my theory that anyone having alot of trouble with space stage is just plain bad at it...I just made a 2nd run through the game on normal being 100% aggressive, and got to space, all 3 species around me had -30 to their relationship off the start. I went to all of them as soon as i could, introduced myself (+10), gave them 10 000 sporebucks (+10), then did a mission (+20 to +40). Then since they were in positives I basically ignored them until I got the 1st pink planet near me up to T3, and started making some real money. Then I could basically just kill them without a problem...

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
Since the website is being dumb about Sporecasts, I'd just like to mention that I currently have four:

Food: Creatures on the very bottom of the food chain. Useful for creature stage, so that you're not constantly surrounded by 5-points-in-every-stat monstrosities.

Herbixtravaganza: Herbivore mouths make up less than a third of available mouths, and are the least interesting to use, so the total number of herbivores creatured is probably less than 20%. Yet when terraforming, you need 66% herbivores, with the remaining 33% split between omnivores and carnivores. This sporecast is meant to help populate your sporepedia with an interesting assortment of herbivores, so that you're not constantly carting around the exact same creatures to planet after planet.

The Best of Shmitz: Because I have over 250 shared creations, and some of them are admittedly mediocre. This sporecast cuts that list in half, if you're worried about sporepedia bloat.

Rise of the Shoof: My attempt at a themed world-building, so expect lots of Shoof and planet Glitch related stuff.

Last edited:

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
MrAlbobo said:
oh and im back to my theory that anyone having alot of trouble with space stage is just plain bad at it...

It's not a matter of skill it's a matter of my attention span and dedication to an increasingly dissapointing game.

On my first account i was literally surrounded by enemies, with barely enough time to refuel and collect planetery tithe between several simultanious assaults, pirate raids and allies calling for help. (how they survived before my civilisation was there to baby sit them is anyones guess). Let alone complete missions to gain favour with them, along with being near impossible to even get a planets T-score up without suffering significant financial ramifications from neglecting my home system. Which only made it harder/drew it out by extending the gaps between my being able to purchase the required tools to further my empire, because i was busy spending money repairing the damage from constant raids.

However, since my game also kept crashing every other time i entered the galactic map, i decided to create a new species, this time straight from the space stage. (as my account seemed to be the only one with a problem on my friends pc).

This new account plays as smooth as i expect a game to play. I was able to colonise 2 systems, befriend 2 races and search out 7 races (over an area equal to the size of the third engine distance upgrade) before i even encountered any resistance, which was only met from a conflict via one of my allies. (and then another simply because i didn't like how they looked). This was a lot more balanced and pleasent to play.

My friend also admitted that he never encountered such extreme hostility and dramatic a scenario out of his own 5 races. So it must have just been a weird game or something..

MrAlbobo said:
id be inclined to call that a wasted opportunity arhurt...

and yes, conquering a home star system yields rediculous rewards. One conqured home planet yields more than 5 of my systems combined. All with T3 colonies.

Jul 9, 2008
I have a question, what do you do when an empire asks for money? There are two that ask at the exact same time every 10 minutes or so and request like 100-200 thousand sporebucks. If I say no it has that hostile face come up by if I say yes I end up paying 500 thousand since they both ask. What do I do?

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

L10: Glamorous Member
Apr 12, 2008
I blew up their planet :-D Actually, I encountered several Spored people, and I found them to be extremely hostile since they want my money, and I couldn't afford it most of the time.

temion

L2: Junior Member
Aug 16, 2008
Regardless of the aggravating screams from eco-disasters and pirate raids from across the whole universe....

the center of the galaxy reward was lame, and the game doesn't seem to have an end. Now i need to find Sol? good god....

Fun game! but the simple flaws present in it are things any other game company would have picked up after the 1st beta test.

Arhurt

L6: Sharp Member
May 7, 2008
So I have been playing a bit with Spore, so much in fact that I delayed my map release to this week, but fear not, I'll finish it by tomorrow, but now it's time for some screenies!!! (don't mind the noobish image descriptions, they are meant for people who don't play Spore to understand a little bit)

And I think that Youme might recognize some of his stuff down there. There may be other's stuff as well but his are the ones I can remember more often (I have fought some of Nineaxis and Snipergreen's stuff a lot too). If you'd like to add me in there it's Arhurt

Exploring and playing around Space is the most fun part of the game, and here are some pictures of my explorations, show yours as well!

This is my Homeplanet Teresopolis.
Spore_2008-09-22_23-37-05.jpg

A wormhole (not safe unless yo have proper equipment!)
Spore_2008-09-22_23-52-27.jpg

Spore_2008-09-22_23-52-37.jpg

A random sight from one of my colonies. I like the fact that the planets and radars you see in the background can actually be visited.
Spore_2008-09-23_00-57-21.jpg

An interesting space formation I came across. I`d like to know more about it.
Spore_2008-09-23_00-58-55.jpg

Spore_2008-09-23_00-58-52.jpg

Spore_2008-09-23_00-58-58.jpg

Me interacting with a tribal civilization, making crop circles and other UFO art :p
Spore_2008-09-22_22-59-12.jpg

One of my colonies in a T3 planet
Spore_2008-09-23_00-55-06.jpg

And here is a little composition of me bringing a T0 planet to T3. Terraforming here involved cooling down the surface and creating an atmosphere for the planet, then stabilizing the atmosphere with vegetation and animal life. At the end I had a profitable T3 colony installed!
terraform.jpg

Last edited:

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
the only pic ive taken of my game is that one a few pages back that shows every race declaring war on me

one i regret not taking a pic of is what the grox say when you break an alliance with them, its something along the lines of "oh, well fine! the grox can ally with anyone, everyone wants to ally with us!"
It takes up the whole page and says alot more...I got a laugh out of it.

and as an aside...even if you break alliance with the grox, everyone still hates you, even if they never knew you when you were allied with the grox

Jul 9, 2008
Completely random question:
If things are so many light years away from us and we're only getting the light from them now, does that mean they could possibly not exist or have changed? So like we see stars that possibly aren't there anymore?

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
In reality? Yes. Most of what you see in the sky is not actually there anymore, and has passed many thousands of thousands of years ago. You're seeing prehistoric stars that were alive when the dinosaurs existed, and even older than that.