Spore!

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Has anyone bought this yet?

I'm not sure if it's out in the US yet, but it certainly is released in Europe.

I bought it today, even though my computer is a bit sick. I was planning to play it on an older computer I have, but it's not good enough to handle it. -.-
Plus, apparently if I validate my game on this old computer, I can't play it on any other computer (wtf?), so I'd rather not anyway.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
UK+ south america is tomorrow (5th) and US is the 7th apparently, I'll phone up HMV and buy it sometime around the weekend, I know snipergen already downloaded it and highly recomends it.... heh

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
Ive played through it, id rate it a 5.5/10. All flash, no substance

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Yeah, I'm not sure if this deserves all the hype, but I'm sure I'll be able to enjoy it a bit.

I had a look at the manual by the way...man, if you knew Norwegian and read the names for some of the stuff in the game, you'd laugh your asses off at how horrible the translations are. :p

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

L10: Glamorous Member
Apr 12, 2008
I had planned on picking it up on Sunday, when it comes out state side. As long as I get about 10 hours worth of enjoyment out of it, then it was money well spent entertainment wise (considering that the equivalent of 5 movies).

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
As long as I get about 10 hours worth of enjoyment out of it, then it was money well spent entertainment wise (considering that the equivalent of 5 movies).

See for me i cant. i play a bit to much games.. so idd go through 10 hours of game a day and have for the last 2 days of spore.

$50 for a game you run through in 10 hours to me is wrong.

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

L10: Glamorous Member
Apr 12, 2008
I agree, but any less than that for 50 and it definitely was not worth it. I'd like to get 2 weeks, at least. I did with Bioshock when they had it on steam a few weeks ago for 15, and that was great.

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
Ive played through it, id rate it a 5.5/10. All flash, no substance

I find it hard to believe one can make a credible assessment by playing a grossly crippled version. The biggest feature of the game is its massively shared content, which to my knowledge isn't available in the pirated version.

Edit: A good analogy came to mind. It's like assigning a rating to a map on FPSB based solely on the screenshots.

Last edited:

Snipergen

L13: Stunning Member
Nov 16, 2007
Yeah Shmitz is right, I can't wait to play online and show off my sweet creatures and share them.
I pirated it as fast as I could just to play it, I just couldn't wait. I'm so buying this the second it's in the stores.

+side: its HUGE, its original, its good, funny but Jezus its HUGE. Animations, variations

-side: graphics, some very crappy models for the trees, and how long are does it keep you busy?

It's a must buy though, like it or not.

Last edited:

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
The biggest feature of the game is its massively shared content, which to my knowledge isn't available in the pirated version.

idk to me, that is the weakest "feature" of any game.

So i can use a building Snipergen made.. or i can see a car that Shmitz made..... big deal, HUGE big deal.

I can see that in a youtube video.

Armadillo of Doom

Group Founder, Lover of Pie
aa
Oct 25, 2007
idk to me, that is the weakest "feature" of any game.

So i can use a building Snipergen made.. or i can see a car that Shmitz made..... big deal, HUGE big deal.

I can see that in a youtube video.

True, but you can't blow up said building/car in the youtube vid. I'll know in a few days if I've won a free copy. But if not, I'm still getting it soon-ish.

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
True, but you can't blow up said building/car in the youtube vid. I'll know in a few days if I've won a free copy. But if not, I'm still getting it soon-ish.

Aye but thats my point. I personally don't care if the building looks like a computer case, speaker or a cup... If doesn't make the game play any different

Armadillo of Doom

Group Founder, Lover of Pie
aa
Oct 25, 2007
Aye but thats my point. I personally don't care if the building looks like a computer case, speaker or a cup... If doesn't make the game play any different

:( It's called suspension of disbelief. By your logic, an rts that is nothing but pixels is no different from C&C or WarCraft, so long as the gameplay remains the same. And to the best of my knowledge, Spore has 3 major ways to run your civ/empire, and by extension a large number of permutations. I suppose the novelty will be different for each individual.

Arhurt

L6: Sharp Member
May 7, 2008
But it does make it different. The aesthetics of the models, their shape and configuration and the props/parts used will influence gameplay.

The fun comes in many shapes:
You can appreciate other's works, you can appreciate others appreciation of your work.
You can try to make the ultimate and most survivable/influent/fast-growing creature that will be totally kick-ass gameplay-wise.
Or you can try to make some other creature that is not as badass as the ultimate one, but looks better or appeals to you fight trough it's own genectic failures and try to make it trough the evolutionary scale.
You can then experiment by maybe creating a type of creature that will dominate the gameplay, only to then try and make a "counter" to it that will exploit the previous creature's weaknesssess.

And all of that with shared content, but not intrusive sharing (Ie. noone will come up to you and blow your planet)

The game has deeper ramifications than it may meet the eye. I guess time will tell, but I've had good, and surprizingly deeper, experiences with SimCity and The Sims, so the least I can be is opmistical.

my 2c :)

MrAlBobo

Feb 20, 2008

it just seems odd to hear a mapper complaining about the uselessness of what is essentially custom content...

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
:( It's called suspension of disbelief. By your logic, an rts that is nothing but pixels is no different from C&C or WarCraft, so long as the gameplay remains the same. And to the best of my knowledge, Spore has 3 major ways to run your civ/empire, and by extension a large number of permutations. I suppose the novelty will be different for each individual.

? confused me =( c&c and warcraft are 2 completely different game styles even if they had the same models. Spore does have 3 different ways of playing.. you can eat plants and dance *social* or you can kill everything *aggessive* or you can mix them both *religion* none of which really change anything up.

You can try to make the ultimate and most survivable/influent/fast-growing creature that will be totally kick-ass gameplay-wise.
Or you can try to make some other creature that is not as badass as the ultimate one, but looks better or appeals to you fight trough it's own genectic failures and try to make it trough the evolutionary scale.
You can then experiment by maybe creating a type of creature that will dominate the gameplay, only to then try and make a "counter" to it that will exploit the previous creature's weaknesssess.

If that were the game i would be happy, sadly the game is very simplistic and the "customization" comes in the look of your creature, not so much the stats

it just seems odd to hear a mapper complaining about the uselessness of what is essentially custom content...

A mapper can paint the game essentially changing the game to anything and adding to its overall-ness. *not a word, is now* If i texture a "can" 50 different ways or add a different cap onto it.. its still a can and doesn't change to the game play. NOW if i could change that can into a wall or a door THEN that would be something. Sadly spore is me changing a cans color.

MrAlBobo

Feb 20, 2008
A mapper can paint the game essentially changing the game to anything and adding to its overall-ness. *not a word, is now* If i texture a "can" 50 different ways or add a different cap onto it.. its still a can and doesn't change to the game play. NOW if i could change that can into a wall or a door THEN that would be something. Sadly spore is me changing a cans color.

yawn...have you ever gone through the torment of watching someone take a racing game and basically spend hours upon hours "texturing" every car in the game, just so they can play one race? The game is meant to have something for everyone, while you and admittedly me would not enjoy "texturing a can" I can guarantee someone will...

as an aside...im probably going to hate the tribal phase...despise any game where you control people as a group and not individually

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
as an aside...im probably going to hate the tribal phase...despise any game where you control people as a group and not individually

Dont worry... that phase as well as the cell/creature/civ only lasts maybe 30-50 minutes.....

Its a space game.

yawn...have you ever gone through the torment of watching someone take a racing game and basically spend hours upon hours "texturing" every car in the game, just so they can play one race? The game is meant to have something for everyone, while you and admittedly me would not enjoy "texturing a can" I can guarantee someone will...

^ you know what you are right. I guess i had much higher expectations of what i was hoping would be a great game, not an editor.

Last edited:

MrAlBobo

Feb 20, 2008
its a game thats based around the concept of building things and seeing how they interact with the world...it should have heavy editor emphasis

but meh...its difficult to defend a game when you have yet to play it...we'll see if my opinion changes when its actually released...already got it preloaded...so ill know sunday ;)