(SOLVED) Player spawns outside of set spawn areas :(

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

Legendoniance

L1: Registered
Apr 15, 2020
(SOLVED)

Hello!

I'm new to the mapping in TF2, and am stuck on my first major issue :(

I'm starting off small, with a little dodgeball map (inspired by tfdb_box_sides_a3), based on the dodgeball plugin by envynz found here: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?p=2534328

Currently my only big issue is with player spawns.
I have set multiple info_player_teamspawn for each team, but upon joining a team, the player doesn't spawn in any of them, and just falls through the world.

What could be wrong?

I have attached my map's vmf file here.

As a side note, could someone help me look through the stuff I have in the map and how I can improve or if you have any ideas I can add on to the map.

Thank you all yall kind souls for helping :)

(PS: Ignore the windows and box style rooms, I haven't got around to it as I don't know what I should add in there.)

Attachments

• tfdb_mymap.vmf
    179.7 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:

theatreTECHIE

Yet another Techie for the net...
aa
Jun 19, 2015
Your skybox brush is covering the whole map, so all the entities are inside the brush. This means that the game can't spawn things correctly, and in addition, you have leaks when compiling, making your map not compile correctly.

Instead what should be happening is that there should be solid brushes (not func_detail) surrounding the map to completely seal the area where the entities are from the outside of the map (the black void). Easiest way to do this is to have 6 brushes surrounding the map (one on top, one underneath, and then one on each of the sides).

Take a look at UEAK Crash's tutorials on YouTube to help you get started with a simple box, then you can build your map up from there.

Legendoniance

L1: Registered
Apr 15, 2020
@theatreTECHIE

Thank you for the fast reply!

I am learning by watching Crash's videos.
It seems I have much to learn.

I find myself wanting to do something, then looking back a lot at his videos trying to find how to do it.

However, in this case I assumed the skybox to have to wrap around the map, but having just re-watched his videos I realise the skybox around everything is not how he did it, but rather just cuts of blocks at the top of the map for the skybox.

Thank you for your help!