Smalltime

Smalltime RC1a

• This map is featured! Our best maps, all together in one place for your viewing pleasure.

Fluury

L5: Dapper Member
Jul 30, 2017
Hey there! Map's looking good, but there's a problem. We had a match on this map on our server, and suddenly things started getting really blurry for players, some of us having the bug while some of us not. This might be something worth looking into, as it makes seeing enemies from a distance impossible, and also hurts the eyes of participating players. There's a screenshot shown below with displays the effect.

upload_2021-12-6_18-51-24.png

The effect was unfortunately so bad that we opted to swap off of the map alltogether, as staying on the map and attempting to play was impossible. Which is sad as I liked the idea of a Pass Time map that wasn't as long and hard to cap on. I hope this gets looked at!

Do you by any chance have a demo/replay of this happening for further research? I will need a lot more info to tell what is going on here.

Because to be honest, this map was tested and played a thousand times at TF2Maps and I have never seen this occur - I can't even really tell what this bug is!

- Do you have any plugins enabled on your server? Custom stuff?
- Did this effect happen "one by one" for users?
- When did this effect happen?

Unless there is some custom serverside issues going on, I'd wager a guess that you could give the map another try as I can't imagine this would happen again. Thanks for the report.

Fluury

Jul 30, 2017
Hey there! Map's looking good, but there's a problem. We had a match on this map on our server, and suddenly things started getting really blurry for players, some of us having the bug while some of us not. This might be something worth looking into, as it makes seeing enemies from a distance impossible, and also hurts the eyes of participating players. There's a screenshot shown below with displays the effect.

upload_2021-12-6_18-51-24.png

The effect was unfortunately so bad that we opted to swap off of the map alltogether, as staying on the map and attempting to play was impossible. Which is sad as I liked the idea of a Pass Time map that wasn't as long and hard to cap on. I hope this gets looked at!

Update! Found the issue (or rather, @MrBurguers found it , and it's quite a niche one:

The issue is caused by your download/materials folder most likely having a file called 0.vmt. Another custom map you and other people have must have a custom overlay that looks like that, and the map is accidentally using it since when you are close to the JACK it switches to a custom overlay and then, to turn off the overlay, it switches to an overlay called "null".

unknown.png

Except source seems to translate "null" to the actual letter "0" which in turn makes you switch to that funky overlay.

So the solution to the issue - for now - is to get rid of that file in your download/materials folder - or wait for me to patch this, it's on the list.

Gravidea

Apr 17, 2017
Update! Found the issue (or rather, @MrBurguers found it , and it's quite a niche one:

The issue is caused by your download/materials folder most likely having a file called 0.vmt. Another custom map you and other people have must have a custom overlay that looks like that, and the map is accidentally using it since when you are close to the JACK it switches to a custom overlay and then, to turn off the overlay, it switches to an overlay called "null".

unknown.png

Except source seems to translate "null" to the actual letter "0" which in turn makes you switch to that funky overlay.

So the solution to the issue - for now - is to get rid of that file in your download/materials folder - or wait for me to patch this, it's on the list.

Hey! Sorry I didn't respond to you fast enough, but I'm glad you guys found the issue! For now we'll just wait for the update. People really liked the map when the effect wasn't there, so whenever that patch comes around we'll be ready!

Thanks again for looking into this, and thanks to MrBurguers for finding it! I hear about them all the time and it's cool to see they helped you find this little issue too. Either way, we'll be patient and wait for the patch, whenever that is. Thanks again!

I imagine this means you don't need any of the information you asked for before since you found the root of the issue, but if you still happen to need anything, just gimme a shout!

Last edited:

Fluury

Jul 30, 2017
RC1a Changelog:
- screenoverlay now switches off instead of "null" to prevent a bug where some other mapper decided it would be a good idea to put their custom material file into the raw materials folder while also calling it "0", causing the overlay to switch to that material which could be fucky
- adjusted trigger-spheres around JACK to be kosher to Hammer++ - opening the vmf of the map should no longer shower you in error messages.

Read the rest of this update entry...