Sabotage

Sabotage b2e

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Thanks, i'm looking forward to getting some substantial feedback when it gets tested properly. Then i can really get stuck in on solidifying the layout and doing the details. I'd like to think i have anticipated most of the potential issues well in advance. But cannot be certain just yet.

:)

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
Just some progress screens. Hopefully get _a4 out this weekend. May only get one more chance to work on it before all my uni deadlines need doing, as the contest deadline is at the same time as my last 3 uni projects. QQ

ctf_sabotage_a40003.jpg

ctf_sabotage_a40004.jpg

ctf_sabotage_a40005.jpg

ctf_sabotage_a40007.jpg

I REALLY wanna throw some detail at this thing already. I just need to test the spawn waves and timers etc a little more. Plus the capture cool down mechanic isn't working just yet.

I'm a little annoyed at the lack of feedback, half the posts in this thread are mine and my last 2 gamedays went without comments.

A good thing i asked for the demo's i guess...

Last edited:

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
I'm in the same boat. 4 Uni deadlines around the beginning of May. :(

Anyway, in the second screenshot those roofs with no supports are seemingly defying gravity and in the third screenshot the triangular face at the top of the RED building is oddly dark.

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
Yea, there's a skybox brush there that apparently ate that top section of that building (which is func_detail). I'll have to nodraw it instead.

As for the "floating" roof, it's attatched to walls on 3 sides, and with a thick support beam running through the middle (which isn't that visible), it's not that different to the space outside 2fort's main spawn. If it's really that out of place and i get more comments on that aesthetic, i'll see what i can do to make it look more natural.

I'll really concentrate on the visuals when this goes beta, hopefully this will be the last alpha. The cooldown mechanic doesn't seem to be working though, in that the teleporter function with the "hidden room" is still being bypassed for some reason. I might need a little help with that.

Last edited:

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
ctf_sabotage_a4

ctf_sabotage_a40016.jpg

Right, capture cooldown is working, might need reducing from 20 seconds though. Lighting is all done.

Download: http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=3101

Can people let me know if they can extract this. It's Bz2 format which seems to be the new standard format around here. I'm to understand it's easier for those running the server ftp as well?

If things are difficult with the download file can people let me know so i can replace it with a standard zip/rar. My first time using 7zip here.

Last edited:

E.B.

L1: Registered
Mar 15, 2009
Just extracted it with 7zip and there weren't any problems afaik. I'll run around in it later and if I see anything odd I'll add it to this post.

Last edited:

Gerbil

aa
Feb 6, 2009
You can extract this with WinRAR too. So not much of a problem there.

I would love to test this out sometime. Tell me if you have a test :)

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
Right now all the open gameday slots are taken so it looks like i'm gonna have to wait a while to get this tested on an actual gameday. I'm usually too busy to play impromptu's...

Personally i've had trouble extracting bz2's and 7zips with winrar, i get CRC errors which corrupt the files. But maybe i just need to update my copy of winrar. Anyway, i'll let you know when there's a test.

E.B.

Mar 15, 2009
I was gonna add this feedback to my last post but I didn't know if you'd see it there.

The roll-up doors going into the middle area all have a small gap across the top. Also, they open a little bit late and soldier + faster classes will get stopped if they're walking straight through.
There's not enough light directly outside the "Intelligence" spawn door.
Your stairs need playerclips so that you don't get the shaky/bouncy thing as you walk up them. The one set that has two mini-ramps on either side of the steps is a great way to see what I'm talking about.
You can get up here (http://imgur.com/H8zLs.jpg) by jumping on the fire extinguisher and then on the consoles.
Odd location for health and ammo here (http://imgur.com/yt0r5.jpg)

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
Woops, guess i forgot to remove those when placing those stairs.

I knew there was something i needed to change about the doors. They'll deffinately get an increased speed and maybe even larger trigger area. I'll get rid of that open space above the doors too, you can't actually shoot through them but they shouldn't really be there anyway.

Anyway, i'll get ontop of those things.

Mar 23, 2010
so, is this like ctf_deliverance?

loved that map...

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
so, is this like ctf_deliverance?

loved that map...

Yes, although deliverance has a dynamic intel spawn where the intel spawns a little closer to the losing teams base. The dynamic however performs eraticly, and Shmitz might end up removing it as it often handicaps the team it's supposed to help.

From your past work, I can trust you will make this map shine.

Thanks, I would like to think so :) I havn't been able to finish any of my maps in the past because i always fail at TF2 scales. Now i've studied them more, i hope i can make a well scaled map.

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
For those interested, ctf_sabotage_a4 should now be on the EU (and other) server(s), thanks to Booj. Sorry we couldn't get it up sooner, there was a distinct lack of admins whilst we ran the 2 simultanious impromptu's today.

So if anyone has any impromptu's during the week, feel free to throw in this baby :D I'll try and get back to the 15 something other maps we played in their respective threads in the mean time.

E.B.

Mar 15, 2009
just a quick note, you know how you have the non-functioning rollup door next to a functioning "hazard area" rollup door on either side of the main area? you might want to think about throwing a prop or two in front of the non-opening one, just to make it totally clear that it doesn't open.

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
The non-opening door is the remnant of a redundant detail that was a train track going through the centre of the map.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/grazr/ctf_sabotage_a20006.jpg

The cover of the flat bed was more intrusive than it was helpful in cutting sight lines between both base exits and was later removed. I havn't gotten around to replacing the central cover yet as i'm still considering the intel concept. In the end though, those 'fake' doors will probably be gone in the next release. The arrow signs should serve to direct players in the mean time.

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
Gameday bump.

I did notice things seemed a lot bigger with other players running around. Even walking around as heavy in pre-release it didn't seem that excessive.

current issues appear to be:
  • door triggers too small
  • stairs need clipping
  • Large rooms

The spawn waves were suppoed to be 12 seconds, i noticed Psy said they were 20, but that shouldn't have been the case.

Are there any other specific complaints? People said the left flank didn't get used much, people would rather run past the enemy spawn, despite (and i timed this) both paths take the same amount of time to travel. The ignored path has both high ground and is further from the enemy spawn... but apparently is the less prefered route.

Last edited:

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
It was extremely confusing at first. The textures seemed mixed and not very team-specific, so for the first 10 minutes I had no idea where to go at all. The route that's to the right when you're heading towards the enemy seemed overly long... I think some flow issues also added to the confusion. So consider that, and get more red in the RED base and vice versa.