[Resource] Badlands cut props

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Resources' started by 404UNF, Feb 20, 2017.

1. 404UNF

404UNF No longer a "TF2 Beta/Cut Content Historian".

Positive Ratings:
    Whoops, I made this thread in the wrong section. I should've put up a proper download for the Models & Textures section. I'll put together a proper "Download" for this in a little bit.

Finally got my hands on the beta Badlands props (hint: Source Filmmaker, beta 0.9.6.3 on the Betas tab has the files).

I've ZIP'd them all up for easy download. Just extract them to your "tf" directory or wherever you store custom props for mapmaking.

You may notice some props are off-center. I've been told this is "absolute positioning", and loading the props into an empty map places them exactly where they would've been in the old Badlands map. Not all are absolutely positioned however. The textures for the most part are still in the game, though some models are still missing textures and I don't have them.

Here's some images of some of the absolute positioning:

- Overview
    - Silo + Laser
    - Gas station?
    - Train tracks

For anyone wanting to try to recreate the old Badlands, here's Stephane Gaudette's screenshots of that map.

Fun comparison that was made possible by the props' "absolute positioning". Loading all these props up put them in the exact spot in the map they would've been at:

There's also a bunch of "quarry_" models. The rocky outcropping on the left in the image in the quote box above resembles one of the quarry models. Spawning these models in results in them being on their side. Some Y-axis rotation is necessary. They appear to have absolute positioning as well, but it's almost like that positioning is glitched because they all end up on their side.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 11
    • Thanks Thanks x 5
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  2. Infomaniac

Infomaniac L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Thank you source filmmaker!

3. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Wait a sec, if these old versions of SFM that have props they never meant to make public are still available as betas, does that mean those versions were skipped over in official releases, or betas of those official releases that were changed before they went "live"?

4. 404UNF

Positive Ratings:
    I have no idea. I'm also currently going through all the files for 0.9.6.3 and then I'll be combing through the other betas to see if there's any undiscovered content.

I'm also taking any models from "tf_movies" and converting their textures from VTF v7.5 into the proper version that HLMV and TF2 can actually load. Like the "props_spytech/chair.mdl" that they renamed "chair_sfm.mdl" with the orange leather, or the "props_mining/rock001.mdl" with the custom "snowy" texture in SFM that doesn't exist in TF2. Or this "unlit" c_proto_backpack.mdl from SFM that I've converted into a standard prop for decoration (though it still has a "prp_backpack" bone)

The SFM models often have higher res/quality textures. This is especially evident in the intel briefcase textures in SFM, where there's a very high res and high quality blue briefcase texture but no matching red texture of the same resolution/quality. The unlit c_proto_backpack.mdl is much different from the one we have ingame. The fluid window is completely different.

5. Diva Dan

aa Diva Dan hello!

Positive Ratings:
    Those screenshots look like a totally different game, what cool images!

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. 404UNF

Positive Ratings:
    Unless I'm completely wrong (and I admit, I have been a lot in the past), I believe that was the game's artstyle at the period of time that the images on Gaudette's blog are from, unless those images are touched-up/paint-overs.

7. GooGuGajoob

GooGuGajoob L12: Pro-crastinator

Positive Ratings:
    This is incredible. The aesthetic of those images look like they came alive for cp_foundry!

8. 404UNF

Positive Ratings:
    Fun update: There was somewhat recent discussion in the Valve Cut Content thread on Facepunch by two users who both showed off some screenshots of work they did trying to piece the old Badlands back together.

- Post #1
    - Post #2
    Image #1 - Map work by Suomimies55
    [​IMG]

Image #2 - Map work by fancy990
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2