pl_waste

What Is Schwa

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 13, 2008
This has made its way into our permanent rotation at the PoE servers. We freakin' love it.

Vigilante212

L420: High Member
Dec 21, 2008
I think the name should be revised to tw_waste personally. or at least do a popup msg explaining whats going on for people who have never played it before. I found the map a bit confusing at first, but after few minutes it was easier to get around. The sewer area is kinda useless only purpose it serves it to drop down from that one side. Map looked great though.

HojoTheGreat

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 11, 2008
Leave it pl_. The reality is it IS a payload map, and if anyone is confused that's what the Welcome Screen is for! You could also enlist some help from the community to make your own intro movie to further help.

But no, changing the prefix will not be a helpful IMO

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
I would agree with the prefix thing, but for the reason that pl maps are very popular, and you'll be able to ride that popularity even if you map isn't your average pl map.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
I'd have to agree, there's A/D CP and Linear CP, and they are both CP, it can be the same for PL.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
An intro video would be pretty cool. However, players seem to understand the concept right away after seeing the cart move around. An intro video isn't necessary, and would balloon the file size to over my personal limit (60MB)

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
understood.

On another note: after observing some full server games, it is now possible to win, but the stalemates are still very present.

I'm seriously thinking of implementing dynamic cart speeds:

Attackers will push the cart at 2.0x speed.
Defenders will push the cat at 1.5x speed. (Used in B2)

this way, if one team can successfully clear out the enemy, they should be able to make significant advances. This is similar to 5CP maps, where the Defending team's active CP's capture time is almost always twice as fast.

In addition, the max round time will be reduced to 6 minutes

Last edited:

uma plata

Jan 20, 2009
Had fun the other day on B2

The middle area is seeing a lot more action, I've noticed. That cover helps teams set up and defend a little instead of suiciding right away

That open panel in the sheet metal is perfect for fully charged snipes to the foot. Not sure if that's a concern...

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
I figured snipers would have a hoot with it, so I went with it. It's not OP, I hope.

Last edited:

FreeLance_FoX

Sep 6, 2008
Defenders will push the cat at 1.5x speed.

What is this cat pushing you speak of...? :p

No seriously, the new version is great. I loved playing it. :3

What Is Schwa

Jan 13, 2008
On another note: after observing some full server games, it is now possible to win, but the stalemates are still very present.

I'm seriously thinking of implementing dynamic cart speeds:

Attackers will push the cart at 2.0x speed.
Defenders will push the cat at 1.5x speed. (Used in B2)
We've played about ten full games at my server and none have ended in a stalemate, however, we've had some LONG games. I don't really like the idea of the cart moving at different speeds for each team simply because that gives the middle CP a huge advantage. I don't want to see waste turn into something like Grannary where middle CP = eventual win. The game we just played the cart was pushed right next to our last CP, and we held off the attackers and steamrolled the cart right back into their base for a victory. It was awesome, and I think due to the swift motion of the cart.

In addition, the max round time will be reduced to 6 minutes
Yes, this is good... I was also thinking, perhaps give only a little (or none) extra time to the attackers for capping the next to last point. Often that point will go back and forth in quick intervals as players touch it which immediately maxes out the time. If only defense gets extra time than you'll avoid the endless game syndrome and attackers will be pressured to really make that last push, and defenders know that if they can repel the attack they'll be rewarded with more time.

I'd like to try something like this:
Start of game/max = 6 Mins
Middle CP = + 5 Mins
Attackers take next to last CP = + 0 Mins
Defense Reclaim next to last CP = + 4 Mins

In all, we are LOVING waste. This is seriously a refreshing piece of awesome and it will have a permanent place on our server. Hit me up nice time you have a build and I'll try to get it uploaded. We are pretty much full every night and the guys like testing stuff.

Last edited:

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
A faster cart speed would not mean the middle point would be any harder to take. It only means that the reward for clearing an area out would be greater. It is not very fun to clear out the entire enemy team, only to meet them again in full force right before the CP and have it all repeat all over again over the middle CP.

Last edited: