pl_waste

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
For those asking for more cover for the Middle, how does this look?

cover.jpg

Cerious

L420: High Member
Aug 10, 2008
Too much sheet metal cover! That is wayyyyyy too much. I would also move the crates back a little to replace the spot the L-shaped wall, because that wall looks pretty akward. And definitely put a small health pack on top of the crate like in Granary. I'll come up with a second round of criticism, this time more gameplay oriented as well.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I'd agree with pretty much everything cerious said there, bring the L shaped wall back a bit and give it a bit more of a logical reason to be there, right now it looks out of place, bring the crates back a max of 128 and reduce the amount of sheet metal on those ledges by 1/4.

Overall this looks excelent, I haven't played it for a while but its on my list to play!

uma plata

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 20, 2009
I like the layout of the middle area from B1

It would probably see more action if it were easier to push out from point 2 to mid, from either base

You might be able to do this by either

1) having a level 2 balcony above the right side rollup door, accessible by base defenders (would help flank when attackers get set up outside the left rollup)

2) make a dropdown from the base level 2 into the water pipe. Right now that is only accessible if you get in front of either rollup, which if attackers are set up outside, can mean instant death. Making the pipe entrance protected might encourage more people to use it too...

idk, just some idle musing

Last edited:

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
I'd agree with pretty much everything cerious said there, bring the L shaped wall back a bit and give it a bit more of a logical reason to be there, right now it looks out of place, bring the crates back a max of 128 and reduce the amount of sheet metal on those ledges by 1/4.

Overall this looks excelent, I haven't played it for a while but its on my list to play!

That's what I had in mind, too. That's why I posted a hammer screen.

Oh well, so much for shortcuts :(

The sheet metal looks a bit out of place anyways, I might replace it with an actual wall and possibly even a roof

The containers were in there in a very, very early build. I'm sort of glad to see them back.

Last edited:

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
I'm wrapping up Beta 2 right now -- It will be ready tomorrow

pl_waste_b20000.jpg

(Screenshot is from a quick compile -- not final)

-Improved performance
-Added more cover around the middle checkpoint
-Reduced size of healthpacks around 2nd checkpoints
-Widened up the "U-turn" chokepoint
-Rearranged final areas to make it easier for defenders to get to the upper deck
-Reduced time rewarded after each capture
-Reduced respawn times for attackers
-Added more ambient sound
-Updated tug-o-war logic
-Several bug fixes

Last edited:

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Oh I like that much better than the other revision. I was worried and I was going to say you should go back to the b1, but it looks much better now. Cool!

/excitement

MungoKing

L3: Member
Jul 12, 2008
Ah, cool, looks more polished now, especially the contrast between the red side (wood) and the blue (metal). Makes it look much nicer, and not to mention looks to be a good game play tweak, can't wait to play!

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
pl_waste_b2 (Hot Tug-O-War Action!)
by Eric "Icarus" Wong
Download from FPSBanana
Download from TF2Maps

pl_waste_b2_1.jpg

Beta 2 Release Notes:
-Improved performance
-Added more cover around the middle checkpoint
-Reduced size of healthpacks around 2nd checkpoints
-Widened up the "U-turn" chokepoint
-Rearranged final areas to make it easier for defenders to get to the upper deck
-Reduced time rewarded after each capture
-Reduced respawn times for attackers
-Added more ambient sound
-Updated tug-o-war logic
-Several bug fixes
-Download now includes a pre-bzipped file

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
It's unfortunate, this gameday has turned into a mess :(

At least everything is working now, and no bugs yet reported... except the sudden death part.

I haven't tested the map on Sudden Death before, so I didn't expect that to happen

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
Biggest Question I have for Beta 2:

Did the changes I made reduce the stalemates?

If not, how does a cart moving at different speeds at different times sound?

Last edited:

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
So we were playing this on my community's server today and a friend of mine snapped this screenie I thought was amusing and alarming at the same time. Look a the cart!

luckyshotislookinggood.png

Last edited:

Cerious

L420: High Member
Aug 10, 2008
Oh yeah, I remember while playing, when the cart was hotly contested (i.e. people from different teams were constantly pushing it) the cart would occasionally flip out and spin or do 360s. I thought this was intentional for a while lol.

Aug 19, 2008
It´s some strange bug where there are too many people around the cart and something goes wrong with the collisionboxes and the cart starts breakdancing.
had that once in cashworks, we had to step away from the car, wait until it calms down and let it roll back a bit.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
Spy sappin' mah cart?

I've seen the same thing happen in Badwater, so I think it might be a bug that isn't ours to fix.

Feb 14, 2008
One suggestion that came up on gameday, was that you found some payload tracks like the ones on well (but of the correct size of course), so that they didn't have any wooden crossbeams on them. This would fit the theme of the map much better. I believe Buzzy made some of these a while back but I'm not sure if he ever released them, and I haven't seem him online recently. I just checked and they're not in the models forum.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
Just so you know, if you're running pl_waste on a server w/ population issues, it might be a good idea to delete pl_waste_b2.res.

It really makes the download progress bar look reaaaally slow for some reason.

Dammit valve, give us a proper download bar.

BTW, I've heard the cart acrobatics were fixed in B2.

One suggestion that came up on gameday, was that you found some payload tracks like the ones on well (but of the correct size of course), so that they didn't have any wooden crossbeams on them. This would fit the theme of the map much better. I believe Buzzy made some of these a while back but I'm not sure if he ever released them, and I haven't seem him online recently. I just checked and they're not in the models forum.
I think that's more than possible already. I can always shrink the track into the floor and hide the wooden crossbeams.

Last edited: