pl_waste

Cerious

L420: High Member
Aug 10, 2008
If you're gonna get b1 out soon, lemme find some more bugs and visual glitches for you first, I just found a few more I'll get uploaded.

And yeah, I'd remove fog for now until Valve decides to release a grayer, foggier smoke for you. Oh, and I think there are two different kinds of smoke at your disposal btw: a grayer, thick one that you have all over right now, and a pitch black smoke that is on the red side of Well. I'd replace the gray smoke on the red side with the black smoke from Well.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
I was planning the beta compile right now, actually, but I will wait for your reports first.

Cerious

Aug 10, 2008
Can't do it today, so I'll have them maybe tomorrow. If you want, you can compile a beta release candidate right now so we can prune it for bugs.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
I'd prefer that you make your post ASAP, because I only have this small window of free time this week.

Last edited:

NoHeroes

L2: Junior Member
Oct 16, 2008
Thanks, I've had this problem before and it was resolved by toning down the # of dynamic entities, something that was most likely increased when I was finishing the detail work.

Would your server happen to be a 32-man?

I've simplified the goal entity system a bit and toned down on some of the frills, so I should have a good one out as beta 1 sometime this week!

Yes, it is a 32 players server.

I wish I had more info to give you, but there were no error's related to the map in the logs.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
"ED_Alloc: No Free Edicts" tend to not leave anything in the logs, so it's very likely that it's the cause. In which case, it is easy to fix.

Last edited:

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
wastepromo.jpg

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
tf2maps.net automatically resizes my pics, so I can't make the buttons functional. at least in this forum

Cerious

Aug 10, 2008
Captions on top of the image they describe this time.

Room looks extremely bland, and you can see the skybox under that first canister on the far right of the screenie.

These shadows are less visible on the Blu side of town, but you should still fix this.

While this looks nice, this taxes me FPS wise significantly. I'd reduce the number of props you have in here (there are many barrels in here you could just get rid altogether). If you want to, consider reducing the size of this room in both the Blu and Red sides altogether.

NEVER place arrows under a track, it looks goofy and stupid. This applies to the Blu side as well.

Ugly shadow (this is on the Red side as well). Also, I don't like that metal texture you use above the doorway, it looks a little out of place (the metal texture on the roof is fine however). If I were you, I'd check the entire base for out-of-place shadows, there are many more, like the shadows on the rounded walls.

These shouldn't have a red glow:

and

I might have forgotten a few with this red glow, so check both of your bases to make sure you have none of these. And for the below image, I don't like the first aid sign one bit.

General suggestion: Your outdoor areas are actually pretty flat. Maybe a few things to break up the terrain and provide cover would be nice (Boxes, crates, small trucks, etc.). Good work on b1!

Chilly

L6: Sharp Member
May 3, 2008
Hey, thanks for hopping on our server and playing with us tonight. Overall people seemed to really like it. I like your idea of lowering the spawn time for attackers a bit, since I think that would help prevent stalemates and make those checkpoints worth more.

Here are my simple suggestions:
1. There's an overlay/decal arrow on the floor that's placed under the track. I think it would look better to the side, even if it means coming up with a different overlay design.

2. The upper area at the end of each side needs a little more cover/detail. It's very wide open right now and an excellent sniper will completely control that. I think one row of equipment up there would really help and would give engineers a bit of protection as well (on offense and defense).

3. Reward players for going into the water at middle somehow. This could involve increasing the health down there and making the other health in the area smaller or something like that. Right now it's primarily a spot for spies to recharge, but it'd be cool to see it used more.

4. The first forward spawn seems a little complex, IIRC. It's not a big deal since your arrows are excellent, but I remember there being at least 2 turns, a ramp, and 2 doors to go through. Perhaps make the spawn room itself bigger, make that first door glass, and move the spawn itself further back so it feels less cramped. I don't remember it in detail, so I could be completely wrong on this.

Other than that it was great. Keep in mind that you shouldn't base much of the balance on watching our game. We have an interesting mix of excellent players (including one of the top demomen in TF2), people that just screw around (we had a pyro that was just airblasting and axing the whole time), and people that do things in really unorthodox ways (like when I play offensive engineer). So just temper your opinion of watching us play against that. :)

EDIT: Someone suggested a cart model that looked the same forward and back. I think this could be a good idea. The arrow on the cart hud is hard to figure out on the fly, so if you can get the colored cart working somehow that would be a great improvement. Otherwise consider some sort of integrated lights around the track that show which way the cart is currently moving. Don't do it if they'd look cheesy, but it might help the gameplay slightly.

Last edited:

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
Thanks Chilly, but I have difficulty trying to think of what area you are talking about in #2

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
I added the b1 to my community's server and we played this with 20 people...everyone loved it, the only complaint was that it was too big. I was like, seriously guys, too big? But any rate it's a really fine product, and I bet the final will be a lot better.

Chilly

L6: Sharp Member
May 3, 2008
Thanks Chilly, but I have difficulty trying to think of what area you are talking about in #2

If you exit your first spawn and go up the stairs on either side... that area. When attacking or defending up there, it just feels too open since there's really no cover. If you still don't know where I'm talking about let me know and I'll grab a screenshot. :)