pl_hoodoo [Final release]

Chilly

L6: Sharp Member
May 3, 2008
His screenshots are from the top, though. When you're in the map, you're down below the displacements in the skybox and they come across as being in a nice desert valley. Not sure if he's planning more, but it's definitely not bad as it is now.

Feb 14, 2008
But he does, you can even noclip to it...

Or were you joking... hmmm...

Or were you talking about those screenshots there? Ahh.

Spacemonkeynz

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 31, 2008
The goldrush doesn't have much of a skybox, most of the detail is built in the actual map itself.

The thing is, the skybox is always drawn even if you can't see it. Where as Geometry in the map itself is only drawn when it's visible. Which is why I think Valve did what valve did with Goldrush.

soup!

L1: Registered
Jun 30, 2008
amazing! just a quick question, how do you get those red textures, can't seem to find them.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
no skybox due to a cordoned compile..... as is the same with almost all the screenshots I've posted ¬¬

Textures are here - http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=55

I'm a little dissapointed with the definition the displacements have from the angle you can see them from, the light just doesnt shadow them at all :( I'll have to add a few hoodoos infront of them so there is a little shadow definition (that was my plan anyhow)

DSOYS - you can see them in the middle one too :p

The trouble is I've got so much stuff left to do that isnt detailing like clipping stuff off, setting fade distances, lightmap optimisation, areaportals, hints and tidying up the entities that I wont get it done before I go away for a week :( I really don't want to go just so I can get this finished with.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I'd take a laptop with me, if only had one.. I hate going away, it just makes me feel so useless not having anything to do all the time. Holidays are the worst invention ever. I mean whats up with people who relax all day and do nothing but... how can they not have something productive they want to do :/

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Well, at least I'm glad you don't rush the map out before you go. That would be worse than the fact that you have to wait to finish it, in my opinion.

Chilly

L6: Sharp Member
May 3, 2008
I'd loan you my laptop if it didn't cost $75 to ship it to you. :) I'm dying to put the fully finished version on our server, but I'll be patient and wait until you finish it properly. Can't wait.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Theres a good reason why I love the cordon tool, it speeds up my work and cuts my frustration both by 100 times.

Altaco

L420: High Member
Jul 3, 2008
Theres a good reason why I love the cordon tool, it speeds up my work and cuts my frustration both by 100 times.

I discovered it a month or so ago and I suddenly realized why people love it so much.

My front view isn't a total clusterfuck now! :wow:

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I suppose if you're only taking screen shots it's good. Presumably the cp's don't work as most of the capture entity "system" is outside the world?

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
most of, the entirety more like.

since I'm [virtually] not changing the layout betwen _a4 and _b1 I have little need to make sure the cart still works properly, obviously I do every now and then, I had to when I made the little shack it goes into on stage 2 and the lift it goes down on stage 1 but other then that there isnt much I need to compile the whole lot for.

I don't compile to take screenshots though, I compile to make sure everything looks they way i thought it would when I did it in hammer and to check I've got my lights' brightness roughly right. Screenshots just come whenever I feel a compile looks good enough for one.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Well, now I'm interested in this cordon tool. Why have I never heard of that before? o:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
the yellow hazard stripe at the top, toggle it to enable/disable it when it is enabled it only compiles the stuff inside its bounds (use the holldow yellow/black stripe next to it to set the area) and since it efectively seals the map in a giant box you get no leaks. it removed everything outside its bounds in both the 3d and 2d views so it speeds up your pc for a busy map and it makes the 2d views easier to use. cordon = win