ARENA Pitchfork

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
DEAR CERTAIN PEOPLE FROM GAMEDAY

I know it is arena, don't like arena gamemode? Don't play the map, or least don't leave me feedback that is about it begin arena map and arena gamemode begin crap.

Thanks.

I got the same thing with Rundown...

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
Alpha 4

- Fixed annoying brush that would stop you from using box route sometimes.
- Made shed health harder to camp.
- Did some changes to area around shed.
- Fixed some other stuff that i can't remember.

Mar 23, 2010
I see where people are coming from with this whole box thing. Not really a bad thing. Feels like granary - all 90-degree angles. Comparing strata to this makes me think of badlands vs granary. Not worse, just different.

And yeah it seems like every arena map turns into koth here...

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
I see where people are coming from with this whole box thing. Not really a bad thing. Feels like granary - all 90-degree angles. Comparing strata to this makes me think of badlands vs granary. Not worse, just different.

And yeah it seems like every arena map turns into koth here...

This won't, that is a promise.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I thought I left you feedback in game, but maybe I didn't or maybe you deleted it.

In any case, there's too many narrow flanks right now. The map plays like a series of hallways with a square in the middle. Squares aren't bad or anything, but you've got very little for snipers to do and very little for scouts to work with. Everything is a blind corner where Heavies, Pyros and explosive classes excel. I didn't try engineering, but it didn't work well for whoever I kept killing because he could only build around corners where it was easy to duck in and out and kill him.

My advice is to open up the side of the map that's edged by the skybox into something larger, maybe redo that area. Also, you've got a rooftop area that players can get on that struck me as really weird, since there's not much to see from up there (I'm talking about opposite the health shack, if that's not clear). I'd either do something a bit more interesting or get rid of it.

The spawn area is a bit large; that might be an area you should tighten up somehow.

Overall, I liked the map actually -- the double health was interesting, but I like it since the map is so small. It's a shame so many people shit on you for making an arena map. Arena is an interesting game mode on the right map, and like you I believe that the smaller maps make better vessels for that. In any case, good luck with this, and don't give up because people are douchebags.

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
In any case, good luck with this, and don't give up because people are douchebags.

Don't worry about it, i got delete feedback button and report button for such cases. :)

Also, thanks for the post, gave me some ideas what to do in A5.

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
I think that the small low route is too powerful. i took it every time, and always got at least one kill by simply being behind the enemy. Meanwhile, the more interesting and balanced upper route isnt used enough. Shrinking the spawns has already been suggested, but i think simply reorienting them so theyre facing the upper route rather than the lower one would help.

ricardojvc6

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 8, 2009
looks interesting wilson. Your new maps are looking gorgeus.

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
WaT? Comming or coming? Is this a Sexual joke, right?..

(Announcer) You Fail. (Announcer)

03532.gif

ENOUGH!

Anyway, just decided to bumb to tell everyone i am working on A5, was working on some other projects (Read: Stuck begin MSPA fanboy) and now that i done with them i can make new version.

My plans for new versions are add small side area that replaces the shortcut to enemy side, it should be more balanced and compact, it also should be less spam fest, i also plan to add some windows to middle building so i don't have to redo everything just to make surprise heavies less effective. Also i plan to do some small changes to spawn rooms to make upper route more used.

That all!

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
03530.gif

WHAT, IT IS ALIVE, AND WITH ANOTHER SHITTY GIF FROM MSPA?!

Yeah, pretty much.

Alpha 5

- Removed old spawn route.
- Made new one that leads to new area.
- Added some props and blocked some OP sightlines.
- Modified lighting just a tiny bit.

LeSwordfish

aa
Aug 8, 2010
I think the point and point building should be a touch wider. The windows that you can run through on the roof should be bigger, too, and a ramp instead of boxes would help, at the moment it takes too many precious seconds to get through.

The new area does improve it, and i've given up on asking for walls instead of skyboxes at the edge.

You seem to be married to the idea of the map being small, and i wont disagree. I would recommend shrinking the outside rooms slightly, though. warning: shitty fireworks diagram ahead.

pitchfork.png

See what i'm getting at? Buy some more space in mid by shrinking the outer rooms by 1/3 or so, buying yourself space to open mid up into a building of its own, not just a hole in a wall. This building can have walkable rooves or not.

the idea here being, Green routes (fun to play, fun to counter) are more used, and the blu route (less fun to play/counter) is used less, thus making it more useful when it is.

Mind you, i have no idea if i'm making any sense.

Oh, and water would be nice, for extinguising fire. In the new areas, out at the edge, maybe.

LeSwordfish

aa
Aug 8, 2010
centralbuilding.jpg

Is that clear enough? If not, some time we'll have to run the map and i'll explain, since i cant be arsed to go over it again.

sidebuilding.jpg

These outer rooms are currently very overscaled.

endbuilding.jpg

The thing i forgot to get a shot of was the spawns, creating an extra spawn room, and orienting it so players naturally head up, or out through the main doors is what i'd do.

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
Alpha 6

- Split big doorway to cp into two small ones.
- Because of new doorways, i no longer need rocks and i can open up the yard.
- Block sightlines from spawn to spawn.
- Open up some other sightlines so snipers are viable on map.
- Connected new control point doorway roof to big roof.
- Made attic window to roof wider.
- Shorten distance between stairwell to second floor and spawn
- Made room before stairwell to second floor tighter
- Fixed some clipping errors
- Fixed players getting stuck on boxes near container.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Sorry the test didn't go entirely to plan during gameday. Your map wasn't downloading for many people.

From what i personally gathered from initial play testing was the area immediately outside the CP was not very interesting with little to no height variation and the catwalks above the CP should have their fences removed to allow people to shoot down.

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
Sorry the test didn't go entirely to plan during gameday. Your map wasn't downloading for many people.

From what i personally gathered from initial play testing was the area immediately outside the CP was not very interesting with little to no height variation and the catwalks above the CP should have their fences removed to allow people to shoot down.

Yeah, none of the arena maps were that day, we played few other arena maps after gameday and issue came back.

As for height variation, i am not sure what i do with the place, as it is small arena map so making effective height variation to the area is bit tricky without making the yard too big and doing other major layout changes to entire map, but i guess i figure something out.