ARENA Pitchfork

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
Alpha 6 B

- Removed railings from upstairs.
- Changed shed route to ramp to give slower classes faster access to shed roof.
- Loads of minor changes and bugfixes.

ricardojvc6

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 8, 2009
Well Wilson I hope this map is sucessful :) Minebrawl wasn't because of optimization. It was shitty.

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
Well Wilson I hope this map is sucessful :) Minebrawl wasn't because of optimization. It was shitty.

03353.gif

Seriously ricardo, stop bringing Minebrawl into every map thread you post to, if you want to inform us you gave up etc. post into minebrawl thread.

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
Gameday bump.

Personal notes.

- Modify shed to discourage camping your own side with engineer.
- Replace all spawns so the upper route is easier to noticed and gets used more.

Mr.Blob

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jun 12, 2009
How about:
- increase the size of the map.
- Making an area in the center of the map to be "taken" and "defended"
- Allowing the back areas before that mid area to be a "fall back" for Snipers & Medics ect.

Stop insisting on the map having such a small size. This does not suite classes such as sniper at all!
- If I can hardly snipe with a small degree of success on this map. - I doubt many others could.
- The map feels too small. - The map encourages camping because of the small, narrow chokes.
The 1 unit thick brushes look strange.

Over all after 6 alphas. I don;t feel any of these point have yet been addressed.

Mr.Blob

Jun 12, 2009
I'm afraid in this case, you refuse to change the map to what is needed for it to fit the game play requirements of TF2. - You should no longer be allowed to submit this for game days / testing.

"Map must be designed for normal play." "This means no melee, class restricted, too small for 24 players, or otherwise gimmicky maps."

Restricting classes to play in your map makes it gimmicky.

Quite frankly I have mentioned these problems to you a number of times. - if you choose to ignore them fine, but a lot of people can now "loose interest" in this map.

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
I can't see how i am restricting classes to play, (I would understand if map was indoors only, or water everywhere, or use some other stuff to restrict classes from performing what they are supposed to do) i seen snipers play well on the map too and i have open bunch of rather extreme sightlines for them to use, it is not like i am ignoring all feedback, stop making it such big deal, it is stupid.

Mr.Blob

Jun 12, 2009
I can't see how i am restricting classes to play, (I would understand if map was indoors only, or water everywhere, or use some other stuff to restrict classes from performing what they are supposed to do) i seen snipers play well on the map too and i have open bunch of rather extreme sightlines for them to use, it is not like i am ignoring all feedback, stop making it such big deal, it is stupid.

Oh yeah, who've you seen play well in this map as sniper?
Just think about Valve. - say you detail this map really nicely and it's put towards Valve's attention. - to possibly go official.

They're going to not think twice due to the sniper not being able to be played in this map. - proof is this was zpq's "Blackwood Valley", another arena map. it's twice the size of pitchfork but was still thought of as being too small for Valve's standards.. IE: 32 slot servers.

Why you refuse to take some advise and change Pitchfork for the better, I have no idea.

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
Because if i choose to not take feedback on certain thing, i do so. I do mapping as hobby, i am not aiming towards getting maps offical or having really popular maps, i just do it because i kill time with mapping. (and reading MSPA)
I just decided to stick with one element on arena map that i seen work well on other arena maps, stop making it big deal and move on, if it is such problem, just skip map next time you see it.

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
I think it is more down to people and their habit panic when one of their ideas or feedback didn't get trough, i admit, deal with it picture was bit too much but was it worth of telling me quit testing map etc. hell no.

I would understand the situation if i decide to take down feedback towards something really downright unfunctioning and shitty, but this is not the case, i seen enough people having fun on the map and there is not that many people complaining about the size that much, stop freaking out about this.

Mr.Blob

Jun 12, 2009
Was probably me. :D

Edit: for the record - not being negative or mean on purpose, but what you do with your map, is up to you, I really do not care. :)

Sergis

L666: ])oo]v[
aa
Jul 22, 2009
I don't like how you have skybox wall right next to playable area without anything indicating that theres a map boundary. Even though I've learned to disable my pyro "airblast-everything-that-looks-like-an-enemy-into-everything-that-looks-like-a-deathpit" reflexes, I still find it annoying.

Also, the mid is still kinda dark and missing the hologram.
arena_pitchfork_a6b0000.jpg

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
I know about hologram but can't fix it, it is there and everything is normal, it just won't show up ingame.

Turbo Lover

Fight me under Glasgow Central Station
aa
Feb 15, 2011
Nope. It should show the standard question mark hologram for neutral CP's even on Arena.

I would however double check everything is in the correct place, I've already found myself losing entities becauseit was in the correct place in one view but way off in another.

Last edited:

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
There is flow issue on the map, sometimes teams end up camping their both sides, i been trying to trace down the cause of this, but i can't put my finger on it. Not going to relase new alpha just yet, testing if few changes to cp routes and shed help the issue or do i need to go deeper with this.

Alpha 6 C

- Removed the base side wall of shed to make shed camping far less effective tactic.
- Made the doorways to cp less cramped.
- Added sings above the doorways leading to side area.
- Added more lights to cp.

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
I think the issue with the camping is basically that instead of having a cfentral arena with a play area around the outside (watchtower, ravine, nucleus, lumberyard) you have two seperate arenas, with a wall in between. Can you really blame me for staying on my side of the wall? Maybe widening the routes between the sides?