Panic

PLR Panic b2

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
a3:
Made the tracks in stage 1 go into the side building.
Supercharged the cart speeds in stage 3 (I dont expect this to work, it's just a test).
Moved the crossing entities in stage 2 further apart (enough, hopefully).

I've realised its impossible for me to test stage 3 by myself because one of the carts will inevitably fall down into the void, so I might increase the alpha release rate by a few hundred % :)

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
I've realised its impossible for me to test stage 3 by myself because one of the carts will inevitably fall down into the void, so I might increase the alpha release rate by a few hundred % :)

I... eat... your... Payloads! I EAT 'EM UP!

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
I'm aware of it, but I havent got around to fixing it... thanks to you both though!

Stage 3 should (In this case, and in my mind) be about 'not losing' instead of 'winning', I've now tried to make the cart slower uphill but much faster downhill. I think the speed might have been a little too high :) but its a step in the right direction. Now I need to make it easier to assault the enemy team and push them back.

crazy idea: Maybe I should remove the top capture point completely?

Zanpa

L4: Comfortable Member
Jan 17, 2009

I thought this while reading your post.
You should at least try it. Imho it would be awesome ; not like Pipeline 3 where each team goes for their cart, you'd have to attack the enemies' to win.

Do want.

The_Ulf

L6: Sharp Member
May 26, 2009

Ooh, very interesting idea indeed. As Zanpa said, you should try it out at the very least.

I'm tempted to say this would mean the only road to victory would then be spawn camping the other team into submission, but I want to see this tested before you dismiss your idea.

BrokenTripod

L5: Dapper Member
May 11, 2009
I think the cart does move back a little too fast, since a simple airblast can push away heavy classes enough to make them unable to catch up to the cart. You really need a scout or something to catch the cart after a certain point.

If you DO decide to remove the capture point at the top, I'm not sure how you would explain to people that LOSING occurs when the bomb reaches the bottom of the pit. I was REALLY confused when it happened to the enemy team.

Also, someone mentioned that if you want the end to be epic, make it so the winner's cart shoots to the top and makes an explosion...Uh, you could use a custom payload that had a rocket engine attached to the back =P

Overall I liked the first and last level the best. The 2nd part ended in like the middle of the map so it wasn't too hard to push after a certain point.

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
When we played today, the first stage was by far the best stage. The second stage became a steamroll, because the track ends in neutral territory. Neither team is able to build up defenses around the cap points, so the first team to push into the middle area usually wins easily.

The third section was interesting, but it didn't totally work. Is there a way to make the cart roll back faster near the cap point, and slower near the back of the track? That could improve it.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
I think the cart does move back a little too fast, since a simple airblast can push away heavy classes enough to make them unable to catch up to the cart. You really need a scout or something to catch the cart after a certain point.

If you DO decide to remove the capture point at the top, I'm not sure how you would explain to people that LOSING occurs when the bomb reaches the bottom of the pit. I was REALLY confused when it happened to the enemy team.

Also, someone mentioned that if you want the end to be epic, make it so the winner's cart shoots to the top and makes an explosion...Uh, you could use a custom payload that had a rocket engine attached to the back =P

Overall I liked the first and last level the best. The 2nd part ended in like the middle of the map so it wasn't too hard to push after a certain point.

When we played today, the first stage was by far the best stage. The second stage became a steamroll, because the track ends in neutral territory. Neither team is able to build up defenses around the cap points, so the first team to push into the middle area usually wins easily.

The third section was interesting, but it didn't totally work. Is there a way to make the cart roll back faster near the cap point, and slower near the back of the track? That could improve it.

First: Thanks for the feedback! Just what I need to get motivated ;) (been working on my other maps a lot lately...)

Rant about my stages so far:
Stage 1: I'm quite happy with this stage, it plays fast and hectic, and doesn't involve direct spawncamping to win. It has a interesting start and easy layout.

Stage 2: Probably the weakest part at the moment. The goal with this stage was to bring fighting away from the spawns and make a deathmatchy arena in the middle... while that succeeded, it's not very fun. The side building on the far end are not used as much, it's easy to get behind the enemy and harass them by spawn. As you point out it feels hopeless to win once the enemy has seized control of the middle.
I might redo this one from scratch if I can come up with a good idea.

Stage 3: Could use tweaking, but I'm sure it will work in the end!
Needs some restructuring at the top of the tracks... I want the last stage to be a struggle, but still give the players a panic attack when the carts go downhill. I'm thinking this might need different strategies than 'normal' plr maps, it's going to be fun to see what ideas players develop.
The playtime on this stage has been short so far, and there are many unexplored areas still, like the highest ledge for demoman/soldiers on the middle building. Control that and you can easily decimate the enemy and force their cart down.

General: The rounds go by pretty fast, which I think is a good idea. But it might get repetative if it's too much of a rush. I hope that once I start detailing I can bring the stages together and make it feel like progress is being made upon stage completion.
But hey, when the map is named Panic, fast gameplay is a requirement :)

edit: ohyeah, and I need to check lighting on everything again, some people still had problems identifying team colors (NOT GOOD!)

Last edited:

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
I am remaking stage 2 from scratch, and I find myself with very limited hammertime these days.
Here is a progress shot from hammer though:
SS-2009.07.17-23.14.32.jpg

I've also made some changes to the carts in stage 3, to make it more of a "DON'T LOSE!" battle instead of "PUSH CART TO VICTORY!!" race. More on that once I get it working correctly :)

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Updated to a4.

Check the first post for new images.
Submitted it to gameday, should be interesting.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Heh, I really should start detailing soon, but I'm still concerned with gameplay :/

tortilaman

L1: Registered
Aug 1, 2008
I'm loving your work on this map ravidge. My server loves it and we've got it on rotation despite the dev textures we love it so much.

Edit: Also, great work on the second stage, the explosion makes it so every stage has something exciting now.

Double Edit: I am hearing from a friend that a4 causes crashes, I'll have to look into it.

Last edited: