Panic

PLR Panic b2

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
/sadface

Hope you get it all pretty in time for the deadline.

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
I think it would be pretty cool if you could add some warning lights or sounds (Uh, in the spawn?) or something that informs the team whose cart is about 1/4 of the way from the end of the track to HURRY UP and push the cart. I'm not sure if there's a good announcer voice clip for this, but it would be cool if you implemented some way to inform new players that that cart MUST be pushed.

You could just use "GET TO THE CART!" to get people to go there.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Stage 1:

Team_Fortress_2-2009.08.31-00.12.35.jpg

Team_Fortress_2-2009.08.31-00.16.56.jpg

I'm open to suggestions/improvements :)

Sep 12, 2008
Oh my god.... :D That looks lovely. One thing maybe: the ambient lighting is kinda red on some walls , especially in that first picture. None the less: <3

Waif

L7: Fancy Member
Mar 22, 2009
wow, I remember playing one of the first dev textured alphas and now it looks amazing :O
I can still see the same layout underneath however:)

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
wow, I remember playing one of the first dev textured alphas and now it looks amazing :O
I can still see the same layout underneath however:)

Yeah I tend to leave a lot of my dev structure intact. And then avoid detailing the playable areas because it might interfere with the gameplay... It probably won't but that's just how I do things, and habits are hard to break :p

I'm glad I got some positive feedback on the images, I'll try to wrap stage 1 up and release another alpha, so I can start collecting balance data again. (we need more plr in the gamedays!)

Zwiffle

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 24, 2008
I need to get in on testing this some time, it looks amazing. Lighting looks up there with eerieone's Premuda and Scotland Tom's Schism - very nice indeed. Of course I can't really speak on game play, and PLR isn't my favorite game mode, but it's not bad. Maybe I'm just not a fan of Pipeline.

But anyhoo, I'll try to help test this guy out, it looks very promising.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Hey hey.

Updated to a6, I felt this needs to get out in the air again, and I was just working in circles with the detailing... I need some new eyes to look at stuff and tell me where I can improve.

So:
Stage 1 is all textured, detailing is still lacking in places but it's mostly there.
Fixed a rare bug that caused autorolling carts in stage 1.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
The latter part of stage 3 is kinda problematic. It's hard to push the other people off their cart because they are just hiding behind it. So it ends being a bruteforce attack, where both teams try to push harder than the other.... but it doesn't work that way in panic. You can't pull away, your best chance of winning is keeping the other team from progressing.

To ammend this I've thought of disabling the cart dispenser on the last hill (stage 3).
Does that sound like a dumb idea?

---

Also, I'm trying to come up with a (good) anti-stalemate system, no promises yet.

Zwiffle

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 24, 2008
To ammend this I've thought of disabling the cart dispenser on the last hill (stage 3).
Does that sound like a dumb idea?

I think it could be kind of cool if you set up a little sequence like an electric malfunction that zaps the cart, frying its dispenser systems or something. As long as you put a message to both teams clearly saying "BLU CART LOST DISPENSER SYSTEMS" or something similar, it would be a nice change of pace from each team just accruing health while hiding on the other side of the cart.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
I've started building my anti-stalemate mechanism.

It's really simple (the idea is simple, implementation is another story), I've added a round timer to stage 1 and 2. When the time is up Overtime will begin, causing both carts to slowly autoroll forwards. Match continues as usual, except there will be a winner.

Timer lenght and cart speeds have not been determined yet. I'm still bug-testing the system; interacting with crossovers and rollbacks, blocking and pushing. But so far it seems to be working flawlessly.

This is probably the most advanced thing (entity wise) I've ever made, and I'm starting to get lost in the network of outputs and relays...
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1281220/SS-2009.09.10-02.00.19.jpg

I hope this is worth the effort!

Edit:
Might aswell show some progress too (stage 2)
SS-2009.09.10-02.34.17.jpg

Last edited:

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
I've started building my anti-stalemate mechanism.

It's really simple (the idea is simple, implementation is another story), I've added a round timer to stage 1 and 2. When the time is up Overtime will begin, causing both carts to slowly autoroll forwards. Match continues as usual, except there will be a winner.

I am very glad to see an anti-stalemate setup...that's one of my biggest complaints about payload race. That, and the bug where both carts will magically teleport to another stage before there's a winner.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Interesting. Think you could make it a publicly available prefab? ;)

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Updated to a7!

Includes:
A first version of my anti-stalemate system.
Cart dispensers will stop healing in the last hill of stage 3. (still provides ammo)
A rough texturing of stage 2.

Team_Fortress_2-2009.09.10-22.22.44.jpg

-------

Psy: I wish I could. In the end its more like an upgrade to boojums base setup, not an add-on. And since my plr setup was already a mess before I implemented this.... well, long story short: It would be faster if you made it yourself. Honestly.
I'll be happy to answer any questions in the chatroom/pm if you happen to get stuck (I did, several times!)

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Alrighty. I don't think it'd be too difficult for me because I'm already sort of half way there. :p

Anyway, I like the screenshot but the flat roof needs some stuff on top of it. Crates, tires, general junk really.