Vents Pack

Model Panels - Pack 2015-08-30

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
well, sure i'm on it. i just thought i might do some other models first on the list, since those are rather detailled in comparison.
but since i got the best feedback for these models so far - i might do them before the lights and lamps stuff :)

Last edited:

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
thanks man, it's really nice to get that kind of feedback.
keeps the motivation level way up :)

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
its ~2000 triangles - which is about the same polycount as the siren or chair models have - also "minor" props, imo. before i started with my tf2 modeling i studied quite a bunch of original tf2 models to get a feeling for the work- and polyflow. I realized that they are quite heavy on the polycount-side which is because a lot lot lot of the details are modeled out. especially the buttons on all of the consoles and stuff. and since you won't be putting these fusebox 10 times in a row, it's alright, imo.
i mean, one open is enough, everything else will be repetetive. the rest may be closed fuseboxes, which will have far less, so its all good in the end, in my opinion :)

thx for all your feedback so far, guys !

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should :p

Having the option/ability to have a lower polycount is reason enough to do so, to increase performance.

That said, decent LOD versions would probably handle most of this issue.

I support the idea to have lower poly count versions, even if it is pedantic.

P.S. These are lovely.

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
we'll have see how the optimized version turns out in the end :)
on the lifesaver models the tubes were cut down extensively as well bringing down the polycount to a reasonable amount. we'll be all happy family :p

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
The fuse boxes look great. You should normal map the vents, on them.

Even the trims around the buttons would come off well in a normal map. The buttons should be polies imo. And the 'raised panel' the buttons are on could be normal mapped.
That would save alot of polys, keep the detail and keep the polys where they matter (on major details).

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
man you sound rather rude on this :D
you're right though, i totally forgot about this piece. they'll be done in valve time, for sure !

Octoplasma

L1: Registered
Jan 19, 2009
make one open with a deep back. I need a place to put my intel :)

Good work BTW

Tapp

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 26, 2009
In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with high poly counts, so long as LOD is well handled. It's that level of detail and 'roundness' which makes if valve standard.

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
finished texturing on one of the fuse boxes, obviously the easy ones :D
tried to keep them to the valve junction mining ones....

fusebox1_ingame.jpg

Tapp

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 26, 2009
Acumen you are a god. May you sit on your custom-model throne beside rexy, and find all your creations flourish throughout the custom maps of the world.

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
yeh, Tapp, i wish i'd see some props used more often ;)
but i guess mappers wish their map to be played on more often, as well :D

so i went over my old vent-models and adapted the style of the tf2-ones to fit better.
i made some variations and wanted to ask, which sizes should i scrap/which ones add ?

vent1_wip.jpg

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Keep them all. Except maybe the second one from th left, under "original size". The screws don't line up properly (on the texture?) and the others give more than enough variaty in size.

edit: P.S.

http://acumen-design.de/projects/show/fusebox1_ingame.jpg

Those might look good with Blu and Red skins. Providing you execute the colours well.