Panamint Springs

CTF Panamint Springs a18

Owlruler

L12: Fabulous Member
Dec 10, 2008
200th post in this thread, now I demand the lions share!
It was a nice map, all you need to do is to fix the fact that if you stand by the pedestal when the intel returns, even in overtime, you pick it up.

Last edited:

BrokenTripod

L5: Dapper Member
May 11, 2009
"all you need to do is to fix the fact that if you stand by the pedestal when the intel returns, even in overtime, you pick it up"

What? I thought I fixed this already for Hanz =(

Owlruler

L12: Fabulous Member
Dec 10, 2008
"all you need to do is to fix the fact that if you stand by the pedestal when the intel returns, even in overtime, you pick it up"

What? I thought I fixed this already for Hanz =(

I don't know, I joined in the last round and it was there last alpha so I just guess it was still there since he didn't say he'd removed it.

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
I think it is fixed. :/

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Since the thread is like on the 2nd or 3rd page or so I'll quickly bump this for the little test Youme made on the EU server.

I couldn't attend on the server so it would be great if some good give me their opinion. :)

Thanks!

krazy6446

L1: Registered
Jun 19, 2009
The gameplay isn't bad, but some people think that the spire is overused, and that it's too hard to cap the second point on the 2nd stage.

HeaH

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Oct 2, 2008
We didn't manage to capture the second cap in the second stage at all this time. Red locked it down with 3 sentries, which makes it very hard to capture

Waif

L7: Fancy Member
Mar 22, 2009
You still maintaing work on this hanz? Any detailing progress screen shots? :)

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
That bloody 2-2 control point. :mad:

I'm detailling the buildings arround that point atm + searching for solutions. I don't really got a good screen atm, it's all pretty messy with all the nodraw stuff, etc..

-> But I'm working on it. ;)

krazy6446

L1: Registered
Jun 19, 2009
Just an idea, but you could flip the spire or put a wall that is higher than the protective one on the other side.

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Gameday Bump

I saw that BLU had to fight to capture the controlpoints, but they could cap it after a time. I'm now not sure if it's too easy because both teams won the map as blu. :/

I will probably raise BLU's respawnwavetime by 1 or 2 to make it a bit harder (or is this not necessary?).

Do YOU think it's fine now? Things I have to change? Give me your opinion! :)

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
BETA 1? Where is it?

Umh? I'm working on it in hammer. :p

But you won't see it in the next 2 weeks I think. (You will see screenshots though)

Jindo

L3: Member
Aug 6, 2009
So it's going from Alpha 16 to Beta 1? :D

Still, that's quite a while from now, as fun as a16 is, I'm greatly anticipating the new version! I've tested a16 too many times to count.

captainAngry

L420: High Member
Feb 1, 2009
We played a16 yesterday. I had a good time but it was a hard map to defend.

Blue has a huge advantage at the first point on every stage. Since anyone can jump onto the point and cap it, regardless of what the other team is doing, the only strategy that seems to work is to put enough sentry guns up so that no blue player can get anywhere near the point. Even with a team of a demo, medic and heavy, it is still really easy for a scout to jump out of nowhere and cap the flag. This is how the first point on every stage in almost every round we played went, provided red had even figured out where the point was by that time.

Some people have solved this by making it so that the defending team standing near the point blocks the enemy capture. To me, this makes it impossible to win for the attacking team once you get larger teams as the defending team could all stand on the point with their thumbs up their asses and it is still impossible for the defending team to clear them all out.

I hate to use it as an example since there isn't a decent TF2 style remake out there but you should look at the TFC version of Avanti. The reason why that map works as reverse CTF is because all of the points are really closed in. Point one is a small room with a narrow stairway surrounded by places that are relativity easy to defend from. The second point is easy to cap but serves as a temporary stopgap to get defense setup on the third point. The third point is in a large area but the attacking team is very exposed before they wind around the cap point and go through the narrow entrance to get to the cap point and the church is like fort knox with two narrow passageways to attack from.

A lot of your points are either in very open areas or are in rooms that have multiple entries and large open walls for demos/soldiers to jump to. It would probably work really well as a Dustbowl style CP map with a few tweaks but for reverse CTF, it is just too easy to cap.

Anyway, enough ranting:

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
We played a16 yesterday. I had a good time but it was a hard map to defend.

Blue has a huge advantage at the first point on every stage. Since anyone can jump onto the point and cap it, regardless of what the other team is doing, the only strategy that seems to work is to put enough sentry guns up so that no blue player can get anywhere near the point. Even with a team of a demo, medic and heavy, it is still really easy for a scout to jump out of nowhere and cap the flag. This is how the first point on every stage in almost every round we played went, provided red had even figured out where the point was by that time.

Some people have solved this by making it so that the defending team standing near the point blocks the enemy capture. To me, this makes it impossible to win for the attacking team once you get larger teams as the defending team could all stand on the point with their thumbs up their asses and it is still impossible for the defending team to clear them all out.

I hate to use it as an example since there isn't a decent TF2 style remake out there but you should look at the TFC version of Avanti. The reason why that map works as reverse CTF is because all of the points are really closed in. Point one is a small room with a narrow stairway surrounded by places that are relativity easy to defend from. The second point is easy to cap but serves as a temporary stopgap to get defense setup on the third point. The third point is in a large area but the attacking team is very exposed before they wind around the cap point and go through the narrow entrance to get to the cap point and the church is like fort knox with two narrow passageways to attack from.

A lot of your points are either in very open areas or are in rooms that have multiple entries and large open walls for demos/soldiers to jump to. It would probably work really well as a Dustbowl style CP map with a few tweaks but for reverse CTF, it is just too easy to cap.

Anyway, enough ranting:

Well then I have to find something to make all cappoints harder. :/
But what? :( Raising BLU's respawnwavetime will make it a bit harder for blu, not sure if that'll be enough.

Edit: And thanks very much to test the map and record a demo, captainAngry. :)

Last edited:

Waif

L7: Fancy Member
Mar 22, 2009
Well then I have to find something to make all cappoints harder. :/
But what? :( Raising BLU's respawnwavetime will make it a bit harder for blu, not sure if that'll be enough.

I think its the gametype in general and theres not much you can do without either changing the layout or changing the ctf a/d rules :(

remember you can always try lowering the round times if it seems too easy for blue.

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
The round times are already pretty short: usually 3 mins for a first cp 3,4 or 5 minutes for a second cp.

I will have a look what I can change to the control points, if you have any ideas to change the layout of the control points: feel free to tell them to me. :)

Sep 12, 2008
What about a 2sec cap with the flag maybe? What I mean with this is that the flag carrier has to stand two seconds (or more, dunno) on the CP before it finally captures. No idea if this might change gameplay a lot, but I think it might make capping a bit harder, and will make the use of the traditional heavy+medic combo or several other classes together more effective instead of just one rushing scout or a flying demoman. Dunno, think about it, maybe try it, and see if it works.
And here ends my story. Back to the hammer! *zoof*

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Long time ago that I posted some new detailling screens :D (The following screens are containing the brushwork and textures of a few inside buildings in s2, still have to add some props and overlays.)

ctf_panamint_b0007.jpg

ctf_panamint_b0008.jpg

ctf_panamint_b0009.jpg

ctf_panamint_b0010.jpg

^ Yeah this one looks pretty empty now, and boring. :p

ctf_panamint_b0011.jpg

:)