Packing Custom Content.

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Intergalactic Trash Can, Aug 9, 2017.

?

Also what do you like to see in a 3 cp maps

Poll closed Aug 23, 2017.
  1. It like to be KOTH

14.3%
  2. Moving Spawnrooms

28.6%
  3. Short Respawns

23.8%
  4. NOT like powerhouse

23.8%
  5. Vertical Gameplay

47.6%
  6. A cool Mid

76.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Intergalactic Trash Can

Intergalactic Trash Can L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I've been straying away from Custom Textures, models etc; because I have issues with packing them. I've tried CompilePal (CompilePalX too) but they don't seem to work or function properly. But now some models I've found would be super helpful in my maps but I can't add them without causing packing issues. Please any kind of recommendation or explanation would really help.

2. Grubzer

Grubzer L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Try to use VIDE
    you can find tutorials on it on youtube

Tip:

Store custom assets inside /tf folder

Storing them in /custom folder will make a VIDE's autopacking feature almost useless

• Like Like x 1
  3. Intergalactic Trash Can

Positive Ratings:
    Link please to VIDE. It would be much appreciated.

4. Grubzer

Positive Ratings:
  5. Vel0city

aa Vel0city mission somewhat possible

Positive Ratings:
    I recommend CompilePal though over VIDE. Alongside a much nicer UI for your compiling needs it has an automated packer that doesn't give a damn about where you store your custom files (which really should be in tf/custom to keep the base install clean).

6. Diva Dan

aa Diva Dan hello!

Positive Ratings:
    Compilepal has given me lots of issues packing personally and can miss out on some models if you don't prechache them, like flag pickups or stuff like that. I much prefer vide because it's really quick and everything that you need is saved into the bsp 100% of the time. Compilepal also can't take BSPS so if you wanted to pack a bsp you already uploaded (and packing failed) you would have to compile the whole map again which can take a lot of time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Respectfully Disagree Respectfully Disagree x 1
  7. LadyRaee

LadyRaee CHEERFULLY SUICIDAL

Positive Ratings:
    upload_2017-8-10_12-53-44.png
    upload_2017-8-10_12-54-18.png
    upload_2017-8-10_12-54-57.png
    upload_2017-8-10_12-55-47.png
    upload_2017-8-10_12-57-7.png
    upload_2017-8-10_12-57-31.png
    I don't think so good sir

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Grubzer

Positive Ratings:
    For me it wasn't working at all, so i moved everything inside /tf

9. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    If you feed it a vmf with just PACK checked it'll look for a bsp of the same name and pack that

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Diva Dan

aa Diva Dan hello!

Positive Ratings:
    Oh, I had no idea, I'll note that. I wonder why it can't just take bsps directly. Not that the pack option on compilepal works for me anyways...

11. Intergalactic Trash Can

Positive Ratings:
    Is there anyway to manually pack a custom asset into a BSP? Or are the softwares presented are the only way?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  12. fubarFX

aa fubarFX The "raw" in "nodraw"

Positive Ratings:
    CompilePal is a build tool, not a packing tool. It's a build tool that happens to do packing and it's great at being a build tool. CompilePal does not aspire to be a good packing tool. it's just a different approach to similar issues. Just figured I'd clear up the core philosophy of what compilepal is. Also unlike all source tools, compilepal is still in (semi)active development (well, at least it's not dead), so all bug reports are welcome and will be ironed out in time.

13. Diva Dan

aa Diva Dan hello!

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah I understand that it's main purpose is to build bsps, I'm just saying I prefer vide for packing content, which is what OP was having a problem doing.

14. Intergalactic Trash Can

Positive Ratings:
    Quick Question: When using VIDE, should I scan though all the custom content or just the models / textures i used. Also when I put in the custom content they turn white, I couldn't find a expliantion on YouTube for this

15. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    The scan folder should be a root folder, not models or anything like that. So try the folder above models.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  16. DrSquishy

DrSquishy L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    VIDE doesn't auto pack the custom folder, instead, after packing the main tf folder, if you put your custom content into the custom folder (I just put them into the base models and materials for convenience), just add \custom to the end of your scan path(so it becomes C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\custom), and then it will scan through the custom folder

17. Crowbar

aa Crowbar perfektoberfest

Positive Ratings:
    Custom folder doesn't work like that, though. It doesn't contain /materials, /models and such (it wouldn't serve much of a purpose if it was so) - folders within it need to.

18. DrSquishy

DrSquishy L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I meant as in tf\models and tf\materials

19. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    And what do you do with VIDE when you have custom content that is in different folders in the custom folders? That's why I use the custom folder only for client mods and just use the the tf root folder for mapping. So I got those two things appart. Isn't that the point of the custom fodler anyway? To store different client mods? Or am I overlooking a better way to organize mapping stuff for the custom folder?

20. BIO BENNY

BIO BENNY L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I personally use pakrat, and make a separate duplicate directory on my desktop called putinMAPNAME with all the custom content I used that links perfectly. It's a bit tedious with any kind of scripts like soundscapes and other manifests but you can easily edit the path manually which I find more useful then automated packers. I find pakrat useful because if I screw up I can easily tell where I did, because it's all in the directories.