MVM Oilrig

Volcomator

L1: Registered
Feb 18, 2013
I guess what I mean to say is that custom content does not seem to work for other users. I'm just wondering if cubemaps are a factor

Here's a screencap from a friend of mine:

material_issues1.jpg

Thats the custom skybox texture as seen by everyone else I've given the map to (about 5 to 6 people at this point) o_O But of course, for me, it looks completely normal

Furthermore, every custom model I've used will be missing its texture (black/purple checkerboards) yet all the clients have the necessary materials

EDIT: Here's how the models come out

KhwX7kKRPu.jpg

Sorry about that big image

Last edited:

Volcomator

Feb 18, 2013
If you pak custom models you need to pak their materials as well. Pakrat misses the materials for some reason, so you need to grab them manually. They should be in materials/models/whatever- you need the vmt and vtf for every model or skin you use.

No idea what's up with the skybox.

Ahhhh!! Okay that explains it. I always forget that Source puts model textures in its own folder (I'm used to HL1 where the textures are embedded into the model itself)

Thanks a lot!

I think the Skybox problem may be something with the VTF. I'll check into that

colacan

L5: Dapper Member
Apr 14, 2012
BackBSP works good for me, pretty sure it does the textures automatically. I'm not sure though. Anyway, I love this map, looking forward to playing it!

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
You should look into VIDE, I'm fairly sure it grabs model materials automatically, not to mention it can pretty much replace GCFscape and VTFedit, as well as some other tools.

IrishTaxIDriver

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 27, 2008
Hey this looks pretty neat! I think the theme is well realized and detailed...

...except the first screenshot. I'm not getting an oilrig vibe from it, and I believe its due to your texture usage. The tiles and concrete material scream grounded building to me.

Volcomator

Feb 18, 2013
Definitely will give those a shot. Thanks for the suggestions!

Hey this looks pretty neat! I think the theme is well realized and detailed...

...except the first screenshot. I'm not getting an oilrig vibe from it, and I believe its due to your texture usage. The tiles and concrete material scream grounded building to me.

I can understand where you are coming from with this. It might also be because the floor is textured with tile. It might help a lot if I change it to a metal or something.

I'll see what I can do

Last edited:

IrishTaxIDriver

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 27, 2008
I can understand where you are coming from with this. It might also be because the floor is textured with tile. It might help a lot if I change it to a metal or something.

I'll see what I can do

Yeah, I mentioned the tiles in my post. They're just not materials that seem appropriate for an oilrig.

Mar 20, 2012
I enjoy the idea of an MvM on something as small as an oil rig. This should prove interesting.

I would definitely take Irish's advice and move anything that's overly spytech to your industrial theme. The map area looks small enough that changes in theme aren't really warranted.

Those security fences look leagues better than the wood fences, also.

Get a playable version up!

EDIT: Also, bump up that water texture resolution. It looks really strange in comparison to the skybox oil rig in the distance.

Volcomator

Feb 18, 2013
Okay, I fixed that water issue in the skybox.

Also, the new generator room:
oilrig_newspawn.jpg

I think that's a lot better than before

Everything is all sorted now so I just need to run internal tests on the population files with some friends of mine. After that everything should be good to go for bumping this to RC.

Volcomator

Feb 18, 2013
Okay I've got it all ready to go and added a download link to the OP. Enjoy! And please give me as much constructive feedback (no stuff like, this map is too laggy) as possible so that I can help to make the map better!

There are two difficulties in this version. Normal mode loads by default and you can switch it to Advanced via console commands or by voting

If there aren't any game-breaking bugs (shouldn't be) then I will PM yyler to have this moved to the Showcase

Last edited:

Volcomator

Feb 18, 2013
I made a mistake in the structuring of the folders. The .pop files should go in tf/scripts/population, right now they are just in /scripts/

I already fixed the link but if you have already downloaded the map then you'll need to stick the population files into the correct folder. Sorry about that!

Volcomator

Feb 18, 2013
Well.. triple post I guess :rolleyes:

RC2 is out!

Changelog:

Changelog said:
RC2 CHANGELOG

*-* GENERAL *-*

- Packed more custom content into the BSP. This should make distribution much smoother across servers
- Made the loading dock deathpit larger. This should make it easier for Pyros to reset the bomb
- Made the loading dock doorways much larger. This should make it easier for Pyros to reset the bomb
- Improved the 3D Skybox
- Added extra NoBuilds to prevent Engineers from building on top of certain props. This prevents Sentry Busters from getting stuck
- Fixed some displacement errors
- Fixed rain particles appearing indoors

*-* POPULATION FILES *-*

Normal

- Removed 4 Giant Boxing Heavies from Wave 2
- Made Wave 3 a bit easier
- Reduced Tank health on Wave 5 to 27,500, down from 35,000
- Support bots on Wave 8 wait 15 seconds longer between spawns
- Reduced Ignus the Trailblazer's damage bonus by 15%

Advanced

- Sniper, Spy, and Sentry Buster support now have a 60 second cooldown, up from 45
- Sentry Busters only appear after 1,500 dmg dealt / 15 kills, up from 1,000 dmg dealt / 10 kills
- Added 150 credits to Wave 1
- Added 100 credits to Wave 3
- Reduced Gnome Heavies on Wave 1 to 100, down from 125
- Reduced Giant Demoman Chargers on Wave 1 to 3, down from 4
- Fixed Quick-Fix Medics on Wave 2 unintentionally appearing as Giants
- Reduced Tanks on Wave 4 to 16, down from 30. This should make the wave less lopsided
- Pyros on Wave 4 are no longer set to AlwaysCrit. Spawns increased to 40, up from 30
- Made Wave 5 a bit harder
- Increased Gust's knockback force by 10%
- Increased Gust's health to 25,000, up from 20,000
- Gust's medics now have 30,000 health, up from 20,000
- Gust's medics now regenerate 200 health/sec, up from 150 health/sec
- Gust's medics are now 15% more vulnerable to knockback and airblast
- Dr. Unvunderbar (Gust's Uber Medic) now has a 12 second uber, up from 5

Download link is updated.
Enjoy!

compy

Jun 14, 2012
Some stuff worth noting after looking at the res file:
The nav file doesn't have to be referred to in the res file. It automatically gets downloaded to clients.
Plus, where's there's a space between the path to the population folder and the name of the popfile in the res file is supposed to be a slash.
Code:
"Resources" 
{ 
	"scripts/population/mvm_oilrig_rc2.pop"				"file"
	"scripts/population/mvm_oilrig_rc2_advanced.pop"		"file" 
}
Aside from that, good work! :D

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
Hi, nice map.
But, is there a way to increase starting currency? Say, to 5000$…

If you want to do that in a server you're admin of, or on a local server, turn sv_cheats to 1 and type curency_give 5000 in console.
I'm not one to speak for other people, but from my experience making MVM, starting with $5000 would be an obscene amount of money right off the bat. Heck, off the top of my head I think in the entirety of Maelstrom there is only ~$6000. Anything above $800 at start to me seems excessive, and tends to make missions a lot easier as a result.
My two cents. You can also make a popfile yourself and add $5000 but that's not the best option.