MVM Oilrig

Volcomator

L1: Registered
Feb 18, 2013
Alright, RC3 is out. Sorry for the delay to those who were waiting!
Testing is hard because getting 6 peeps to be on at the same time is annoying :p
But alas, I think the map is as good as I can (personally) get it to be!

OP updated with the new download link!

Here's the current changelog:

GENERAL
----------------------

- Fixed even more engineer glitch spots
- Heightened a few more doorways to make it easier for robots to navigate
- Removed Demopans from both difficulties
- Included the robot_oilrig.pop, Normal, and Advanced population files for server administrators who need to tweak them for their own needs.

NORMAL
----------------------

- Lots of balances/changes to the popfile. Too many to list really, but Normal difficulty is more like Normal now. Not nearly as hard as before
- Upped the threshold for Sentry Busters. 1500 damage and/or 15 kills in succession will cause one to spawn. Up from 1300/10
- Changed the Giant Tagger Scouts on Wave 1 to normal Tagger Scouts.
- Ignus the Trailblazer no longer gets 100% crits vs burning players
- Tweaked the spawn rates of some of the robot squads. There should be less "waiting" in between squads now.

ADVANCED
----------------------

- Reduced the Samurai Soldiers on Wave 1 to 35, down from 60
- Reduced the Gnome Heavies on Wave 1 to 82, down from 100
- Reduced the Crit Heavy / Loch-n-Load Demo spawns on Wave 3. There are about 1/4 as many as before
- Switched Wave 4 (the 16-Tank wave) and 5
- Tweaked the spawn rates of some of the robot squads on Wave 2.

MarshalN

L1: Registered
Dec 19, 2010
Hi there,

Just played this for the first time through a whole game with a full team on advanced.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/marshaln/screenshot/615023469842468173

Basically - good map! I like grapple heavies - and I saw how our scout got trapped by them once. There are a few things I noticed

1) The paths are either slightly left or right. The rooms don't seem to be used much at all either on the left or right. Is that by design? Right now they seem more like giant empty spaces that serve no purpose. Is there a way to make them more useful? Same for the bottom pit - is it mostly just cosmetic? I didn't see any bots go there.

2) Is there a way for non soldier/demo/engi to get up onto the containers/shed in the front area? Not that it's that useful

3) It was slightly on the easy side - I guess it's about the difficulty of a regular advanced mission, not quite mecha difficulty. I think the final boss can walk a little faster - if the team got to wave 6, at current walking speed it's going to be a bit too easy.

4) Wave 5 can use a few medics, I think, to spice things up. Otherwise it's just raw damage output and we never budged from the front area, whereas for wave 4 it was actually a bit harder. I think the issue really is the waves are probably about equal in difficulty, but with wave 5 you're working with an extra few hundred in credits. So adding a few uber medics would solve that problem - or maybe a few giant medics near the end.

5) How about a giant grapple heavy?

6) The spawn area is really big - is it necessary? Also, when we spawn, half the time we spawn facing the back (sea) which is really disorienting - it's like coming out of a tele facing the wrong way. Could you actually cut the spawn room size a bit so it's easier to navigate (and perhaps less confusing for newcomers)?

7) This is nitpicking - but there are a lot of fake doors on the map - gates that are closed, etc. It's actually possible to get lost on the map if you don't know where things are. I wonder if there's a way to streamline it a little.

sitebender

L3: Member
Aug 15, 2012
Playing it now. The waves are just way too easy with 5 people. Most of which are pretty dumb. A lot of downtime with the giants after they die.

>> edit >> Maybe I was playing normal without realizing it.

Toxindude

L3: Member
Aug 2, 2012
Screen shots look great. Nice idea for a map. Looks very clean and tidy nice detailing.