Nothing but Boxes and Wireframes in Hammer Editor

Muck'n 'Ay

L1: Registered
May 7, 2018
I must have either done something incorrectly or neglected it, because I can only see texture changes that I've made after I load the map. Searching through the prop libraries is also going to be tedious because I can't quite see what I select could actually like appear in-game before I run the map. Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

TheFluffycart

L3: Member
Jul 6, 2019
Alright, this is an easy fix! In the window you want to be 3D and textured, go to the upper left corner of that screens window, and select 3D textured

Muck'n 'Ay

L1: Registered
May 7, 2018
That fixed it. Thank you, and have a wonderful day. :)

And to clarify for anyone who's confused, TheFluffycart is referring to the text "camera" in said 3D window.

Edited so as to not clutter up the thread unnecessarily: is it normal to see props as yellow and magenta boxes from a distance until you close in on them? Can I fix this and why?

Last edited:

Box Of Paper

L3: Member
Jul 15, 2019
Tools > Options... > 3D views > Model render distance

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
Yes, that's normal; Hammer will turn distant models into boxes to reduce rendering costs. I would advise turning the Model Render Distance setting to the max within Tools > Options > 3D views, unless you're mapping on a potato your PC should be able to handle it, and mapping doesn't require 60 FPS anyway.