Nothing but Boxes and Wireframes in Hammer Editor

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Muck'n 'Ay, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Muck'n 'Ay

Muck'n 'Ay L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I must have either done something incorrectly or neglected it, because I can only see texture changes that I've made after I load the map. Searching through the prop libraries is also going to be tedious because I can't quite see what I select could actually like appear in-game before I run the map. Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

2. TheFluffycart

TheFluffycart L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Alright, this is an easy fix! In the window you want to be 3D and textured, go to the upper left corner of that screens window, and select 3D textured

3. Muck'n 'Ay

Positive Ratings:
    That fixed it. Thank you, and have a wonderful day. :)

And to clarify for anyone who's confused, TheFluffycart is referring to the text "camera" in said 3D window.

Edited so as to not clutter up the thread unnecessarily: is it normal to see props as yellow and magenta boxes from a distance until you close in on them? Can I fix this and why?

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  4. Box Of Paper

Box Of Paper L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Tools > Options... > 3D views > Model render distance

5. Da Spud Lord

aa Da Spud Lord Occasionally I make maps

Positive Ratings:
    Yes, that's normal; Hammer will turn distant models into boxes to reduce rendering costs. I would advise turning the Model Render Distance setting to the max within Tools > Options > 3D views, unless you're mapping on a potato your PC should be able to handle it, and mapping doesn't require 60 FPS anyway.

6. Muck'n 'Ay

Positive Ratings:
    To Box Of Paper and Da Spud Lord, thank you. :)

• Like Like x 1