New version of map not working when compiling

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
I hope it's prop_static.

Please use prop_static in multiplayer Source levels. Please.

Another Bad Pun

In the shadows, he saw four eyes lit by fire
aa
Jan 15, 2011
ˆˆˆthisˆˆˆ

And yeah, avoid detailing for an alpha 1 build (actually avoid texturing as wel except where it's vital to gameplay (like a crate jump).

I think stuff like this, HDR too, really just comes down to preference
That being said, I do think it is important to start placing hint brushes and area portals during alpha.

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
I think stuff like this, HDR too, really just comes down to preference
That being said, I do think it is important to start placing hint brushes and area portals during alpha.

Preference, sure, but detailing stuff in early alphas is in some ways a waste of time since you probably have to do it all over again at some point due to layout changes. No map is perfect in a1/a2 states. Same with HDR: most lighting is very basic in alpha versions so there is no need for HDR.

And yes, optimizing should be done from the minute you start mapping on a new map. Start with basic area separation, and then get into the details. But never wait until further on in the map's development, it will cause you a lot of trouble, and since it's not exactly a fun thing to do mixing it in with the detailing and layout stuff early on provides a nice base to work from further down the development cycle.

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
Btw is it Bad to use prop_dynamic?

No, but only do it if you have an animating prop (either from within the prop's animation file or via map logic, such as the Payload cart). Any prop that can't be animated from within itself (excluding map logic) or doesn't need to be parented to another object in order to move should be a prop_static.

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
Check your displacements, if all of them are at the power of 4 reduce that to 3 at least. Displacements with a power of 4 give a heavy impact. Idealy have all displacements a power of 2 and have 2 next each other to mimic a power 3.

Note that in most maps you dont need anything higher than 2.