*NEW* TF2 update, with mapmaker requests!

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
I'm quite sure this is merely mirroring the model rendering, and has zero bearing on the weapons code.

Projectile origins flip with the model, so you don't have rockets coming out of the wrong shoulder. (You can check that in thirdperson- pretty funny.)

It took a while to adjust, but I love having my weapons left handed now, so much more natural. However, the backward text on the electrosapper makes me cry.

uma plata

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 20, 2009
Great, now everyone is going to have a key bound to swap sides as needed so they can hit sentries around corners.

Damn straight

I have M1 bound to left rocket, M2 bound to right rocket

It'll be fun until Valve decides to crash the party

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Nope, works with corners, too.

You can even switch sides mid-game for more flexibility!

That seems silly. I would have thought what ABS presumed, the rocket will still be carried on the right by your character model even if it was drawn on the left for your hud. There for rockets would still behave how they always had.

Sebhael

L1: Registered
Jun 10, 2009
Whoa, wait a minute...are you serious? What happened to the old days where all projectiles actually came from either above or below the exact center of the player?

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
I'm actually ok with that. For one, mirror symmetry should be much more acceptable than it was in the past. I'm only concerned about older maps that relied on it being difficult to corner from a certain angle to make a sentry position "strong". Even with that though, if anything this will encourage Valve to buff engies in other ways that make them more adaptable to attacker strategies, instead of the same old "sit behind the sentry and bang on it".

Drexer

L2: Junior Member
Jun 23, 2009
So what's the console command I have to bind to change weapon side?

cl_flipviewmodels 0/1

You can use something like this:

bind "MOUSE1" "cl_flipviewmodels 1; +attack; wait 10; -attack;"
bind "MOUSE2" "cl_flipviewmodels 0; +attack; wait 10; -attack;"

I had to put the 'wait' command because it was constantly firing... gonna have to check a way to do it without it though. This should work at least temporarily.

EDIT: It messes up constantly pressing a button though. >_>

StoneFrog

L6: Sharp Member
May 28, 2008
So wait, just projectiles can fire from different directions now, right? I still assume that hitscan weapons (pistol, minigun, etc.) fire out from the center of the player and that the tracers emitted from the viewmodel, regardless of orientation, are just visual.

Drexer

L2: Junior Member
Jun 23, 2009
After having played some rounds with the viewmodels changing as it pleased me, I've go to say that it's very useful. Specially as soldier and on payload maps. You gain a whole new advantage in battling around the cart.