New Rocks Pack

Model New Rocks Pack 1.0

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
How about seperate builders also? Then people can merge those rocks into 1 larger one. It allows much more variety. prop_statics are cheap to use in a map so if there are 10 more rock models which can increase the detail alot then its welcome.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
To be honest, some reskins of the alpine rocks would probably help out a little as well, since there are a nice selection of medium sized rocks in the forest directory that only have the one skin (grey). Whilst all the desert rocks are tall and pointy, or just a pile of tiny stones.

As for more original rocks, simply a wider selection of medium sized rocks would be ideal. Anything from 64x64x64 to 512x512x512 and variations there of (64x128x256 etc etc etc). They're only rocks, you don't have to be too specific, otherwise you'll get the same problem you're trying to solve; that they become familiar.

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
I agree that maybe they are a bit low poly (easy to see tris) but that could be the renderer too, phng in game would probably look smoother on those rocks.
Those might even work for lod models pretty good, Valves lod models are pretty ugly/low poly. I hate when they 'pop' in view.

I like the shape, TF2 doen't have any round boulders like that. Skins would be awesome.

Make sure you have different hieghts for different classes. Stock rocks have 'steps', some all classes can climb, some are scout only...

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Some WIP screens of desert style rocks I am working on...here's 5!

The lightwave open GL doesn't make the props look that great, but I can't complain too much.

PS: I love being stuck at work, the graveyard shift, so I can sit here and model on my 10 inch laptop. *snooze*

rock_01.jpg

rock_02.jpg

rock_03.jpg

rock_04.jpg

rock_05.jpg

Last edited:

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
The all look great!

I have to say though that #3 and #4 looks slightly like clay rather than rock (shape wise, not texture). Could use a few more sharp edges like those seen in the last picture imo.

Still, good job mate, I love em ;)

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
The all look great!

I have to say though that #3 and #4 looks slightly like clay rather than rock (shape wise, not texture). Could use a few more sharp edges like those seen in the last picture imo.

I agree.

The process makes more sense each time.

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
did you create these textures from scratch or use some kind of tf2-base to work off from ?
if the first should be the case, care to ellaborate ? :D
cause i tried rocks quite some time, but the texturing got my bowed, kinda :/
and your textures kinda differ from model to model on this one, could this be true ? the last one has the nice painterly style, the rest is very noisy.
but shape-wise you're almost there, with the style. last and first version has it, rest is a bit blobbish ^^
keep on pushing and i think with the rocks it's best to have them shown ingame, cause i don't like the tf2-ones in the model viewers, but ingame, they really shine a light :)

Last edited:

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Update, better textures, and reworked meshes, should look better. I'll have more rocks next time around.

rock_01b.jpg

rock_02b.jpg

rock_03b.jpg

rock_04b.jpg

rock_05b.jpg

Acumen, I'm using stock tf2 textures with some blending modes in PS, multiply and overlay. With baked AO of course.

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Please don't (repeat: Do NOT) square off those round rocks you've got so far. just make new ones that are much more angular and release those as well.

What you've got so far are great!

/pro choice!

ps please try and make them use one texture per skin if at all possible!

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
ps please try and make them use one texture per skin if at all possible!

I wish I could! The stock rock models have all unique textures that all have baked ambient occlusions, that's why they look so good.

So I need some suggestions,

@ DTX1, each texture is 683 kb, 1024 X 1024 resolution. If I reduce them to 512 x 512, they resize to 171 kb...but of course they no longer look as good as they did before.

Which would you rather have, quality or reduced filesize? I'll go with quality any day.

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I thought the official ones all had one texture that was something like 2048*4096?? if you did this you could shrink each's texture down to just under the scale it has at 1024 and probably be able to fit an extra one or two into it's space.

Do the normal non alpine-rocks use the seamless detail texture? if not you could experiment with adding that and reducing the original filesize, it might keep detail levels but reduce filesize. I'd expect this to be used regardless for the alpine ones since thats what valve did :p

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
+3

rock_06.jpg

rock_07d.jpg

rock_08d.jpg

Now I have to do real work (for school) so don't expect any more updates for a while.

Last edited:

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
I can't help but think notable shapes like the arch and that tall one are defeating the purpose of this endeavor. They stand out a lot and will just become the new overused rock prop.