New prop_static feature?

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
I love how it displays my name in the corner, to make sure I can't escape the guilt that is my modelling techniques.

It's not a bad modelling technique at all, it's quite smart. It just doesn't work when baking lightmaps, and to be fair, we've not had that in source before now on models :)

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
TBH all good engines accept two UV channels. One for the texture where reusing space is A-OK, and one for lightmaps where everything has to be unique.

Mar 23, 2013
TBH all good engines accept two UV channels. One for the texture where reusing space is A-OK, and one for lightmaps where everything has to be unique.

Well this feature seems to be still WIP since it looks really strange with low graphic options

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
I think it might be the actual shader that is buggy. The only fix there is to pick a higher directx level so that you get a different shader.

Dr. Sasha

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 5, 2013
Another screen showing off the new lightmaps on models:

dWI03sf.jpg

Wow, looks like something out of Unity or Unreal with those shaders.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Except that it's prerendered lightmaps. It's not realtime and can't do animations. Dynamic shadows in source still suck.

Really, the shader isn't complex at all. It's literally reading a texture value and multiplying the usual value with it.

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
Wow, looks like something out of Unity or Unreal with those shaders.

Except that it's prerendered lightmaps. It's not realtime and can't do animations. Dynamic shadows in source still suck.

Really, the shader isn't complex at all. It's literally reading a texture value and multiplying the usual value with it.

He never said that they were in fact Unity/Unreal shaders, but simply that they looked like them.

Snowshoe

L2: Junior Member
May 16, 2012
Maybe that's my problem. Are there any commands that prevent lightmaps on static props from working?

I think mat_picmip has to be 0 or -1 for it to work. (High or Very High texture quality)

Also, the reason the black sky is missing on rd_asteroid for some people is because they have r_3dsky set to 0. That's why you see the goldrush skybox instead.

Not sure if dxlevel 8.1 or 8.0 causes it to break, but you can try dxlevel 9.5

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
EDIT: It does, however, not like phong shading at all. So it doesn't seem to work on models with phong on their textures.
And to be fair, neither does vertex lighting.

I've been pushing for something like this for ages, but my version would have been something more like allowing LightmappedGeneric materials to be used in models and recompiling certain models that have large flat surfaces to grab the lightmapped material for those portions only, so you still have good-looking lighting on the detail trim. So, for example, the shipping crates could be all lightmapped, while a theoretical delivery truck could have a lightmapped box and a vertex-lit cab and wheels.

It's my understanding that vertex lighting was implemented in the first place because the amount of fine detail in models and the amount of distortion and papercraft-style folding in UV maps makes lightmaps impractical for anything but large, mostly-flat surfaces. So having to go all-or-nothing on a given model is still a bad idea.

Dain

L3: Member
Oct 21, 2009
I tried applying this to Hydro's dam. One very long compile later and it looked like poop :(

F706DF549015ACCED22350497FCD982459593CD2

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Good to hear.