New Map PUG Group

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
Pugged Axle, Collis, and Trotim1 tonight. Those demos should be going up on the media fire I posted by tomorrow and I'll be posting them in the map threads as well, if I can find the threads. For Trotim1, we also recorded the mumbles of each team and the discussion after wards, I'll be posting the package of the demo and those audio files in that thread tomorrow, though, because I want to go to bed and don't want to wait for them to upload, hope that's not a problem.

That's absolutely no problem, any reason you didn't record "the mumbles" for the other maps?

waxpax

L5: Dapper Member
Feb 25, 2011
That's absolutely no problem, any reason you didn't record "the mumbles" for the other maps?

Honestly, I think we just sort of forgot that we could until we got to your map, as silly as that sounds.

Also, since I assume the quotes mean you're not familiar with Mumble, Mumble is a VOIP program like Vent but, in my opinion, better. Most comp teams in TF2 use Mumble to comm in game and ESEA this season gave 8 slot mumbles to every team that is playing as I think they are trying to convert some of the CS people from Vent or other VOIP programs to Mumble. Mumble is what we use for the voice in the pugs, so, if you want to join in on one sometime, you'll probably need it, you can download Mumble here,: http://mumble.sourceforge.net/
It's a really nice program and it's still in a pretty decent state of development, the ability to record the Mumble was just added officially a few weeks ago.

The multiple quotes button is this one: ["+], down next to the quote button.

Yeah, I saw that that was the button to use about as soon as I posted that question, felt really smart. Looks like I've figured out how to use it as well.

Edit: We also upgraded the server to 32 slot (who would've guessed that a 32 slot server would be the same price as a 20 slot) so we might be able to test some of the bigger maps and test some of the gameplay modes that don't work that well for 6s, assuming we can get people to play Highlander and I can get around to making Highlander configs/steal UGC's. We'll probably try to keep the focus on 6s though because most of the group comes from 6s comp and we'd like to try and find some maps that we could eventually use in leagues.

Last edited:

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
FYI the feedback plugin is run through a database here at TF2maps and handles sensitive information. It is only run on tf2maps.net and playstuff.net's servers (a well trusted community for years). It is doubtful you could run it without at least talking to the head huncho DrPepper: http://forums.tf2maps.net/member.php?u=1 about syncing said database with your server. Again, as far as i gather, it handles sensitive information in the process, so as nice as it would be to cooperate in this testing endeaver it is doubtful you can run this plugin on your servers.

waxpax

Feb 25, 2011
FYI the feedback plugin is run through a database here at TF2maps and handles sensitive information. It is only run on tf2maps.net and playstuff.net's servers (a well trusted community for years). It is doubtful you could run it without at least talking to the head huncho DrPepper: http://forums.tf2maps.net/member.php?u=1 about syncing said database with your server. Again, as far as i gather, it handles sensitive information in the process, so as nice as it would be to cooperate in this testing endeaver it is doubtful you can run this plugin on your servers.

That would probably make it more difficult to run the plugin. My initial concern was if the feedback plugin would be compatible with SOAP DM, as SOAP unloads all plugins when a tournament mode round starts and I didn't know if that would affect the feedback plugin.

I'm also not sure how useful it would really be, since people won't really be able to take the time during the pug to write out a comment and I don't know how many people would want to type the comment as opposed to just say it aloud in the mumble when we can record the mumble.

Also, if the database collects sensitive information, I don't know if I'll want it linked to the server as we still use it to scrim on and I don't want a bunch of people possibly stealing our strats :p But, seriously, it's probably more trouble to set up than it's worth at this point, maybe in the future it will be more desirable, but I'm not sure at the moment.

Thanks for the information, though, was quite helpful.

Edit: On a side note, I think my team played DrPepper's team in TWL preseason, probably 3-4 seasons ago, now; I think the team was like Overtime Commando's, or something like that and we played on an A/D map styled like Gpit, I don't remember the name of the map, though, as I seem to have deleted it from my server, Extraction, maybe? I remember DrPepper because we asked what he got his community sniper rifle for (this was back when the community weapons weren't handed out as frequently so it was still pretty cool to come across one and see what someone got it for) and he mentioned it was for TF2 Maps. I don't know if he still plays comp, though, as I think that team died before the season was done and I haven't really seen him on any other teams since then.

Edit 2: Yeah, it was CP_Extraction.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2009
Hi, I'll plug-in my koth map if you don't mind. It's a small-ish, open map with an alpine theme. Plays kinda like harvest but with a more prominent control point, greater height differences, and some water all over the place.

While it was not particularly designed with competitive play in mind, I'll just say that it has plenty of opportunities for scouts and soldiers to shine (and jump-happy demomen to a lesser extent, but comp players may have something different to say about that).
How well snipers can do is still a mystery to me, because of the contradicting feedback I've received on that matter (ranging from overpowering to unplayable...), I'm also curious how comp players would evaluate that.

I had a south-american comp community who stumbled upon it and played b1 a while back, but they complained about optimization and water not being transparent enough; Eventually, the water has been fixed, and while performances have improved there's no real fix for that : it's a conception mistake from the very beginning, and the map wouldn't play the same at all if it was better optimized.
So basically, on average, your framerates won't be as good as on stock Valve maps. Nothing catastrophic though.

So maybe you can pick it up and see for yourself if it's worth your while ?

waxpax

Feb 25, 2011
I ran through Watermill earlier in the week; I thought it might be a little too complex for 6s, seemed to have a lot of hiding places and ways to flank. But it's been a while since then and I"ve looked at a ton of maps, so I'll probably look at it again tomorrow and maybe see if we can pug it during tomorrow's games.

waxpax

Feb 25, 2011
Blade, Luxor looks like it would be way too big for 6s. I was looking at it with Walka though, and he really liked the fact that it looked fun to jump around, he thought it would make a good trick jump map.

Loc-n-Lol I think we're going to try playing Watermill tonight, also probably playing Stark, and idk if we'll do a third map. Should be starting in the next couple minutes. Sorry about the short notice, but I just got home about 20 minutes ago.

waxpax

Feb 25, 2011
Just got done pugging Watermill, Stark, Petrol, and Antiquity. I'll be getting the demos and mumble recording out when I have them, will probably be posting the mumble recordings tomorrow since I need my teammates to upload some of them for me.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I feel like someone asked what your position on dev textures/lack of major detail was, but I forgot. Eventually I'd like you guys to try my current project (a 2cp a/d like Gorge), but ideally before I start all the major detailing.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Hey Waxpax, thanks for this testing service. 6v6 custom map testing is a rarity and you and your group are handling it pretty well from what I can see.

Keep up the good work.

waxpax

Feb 25, 2011
I feel like someone asked what your position on dev textures/lack of major detail was, but I forgot. Eventually I'd like you guys to try my current project (a 2cp a/d like Gorge), but ideally before I start all the major detailing.

I don't really care about the dev textures as long as it's easy to find which way to go out of forward and as long as it's easy to find the points. Obviously the prettier the map, the more likely people are to have a good first impression, but we played Petrol last night and that map is almost completely grag dev textures. I'd rather get the map early so it's easier to change things if we find a problem, so, yeah, get me the map when you think it's ready and hopefully we won't try to pug it before then :p

Hey Waxpax, thanks for this testing service. 6v6 custom map testing is a rarity and you and your group are handling it pretty well from what I can see.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks! We've been able to get a lot of people to show up for every pug we've had so far, so, hopefully we'll be able to keep testing maps.

waxpax

Feb 25, 2011
Mr. Blob, I had actually downloaded the a0 version of Tundra earlier and had already loaded it to the server, I'll try to replace it with the newer version you just posted.

I think we're looking at playing at least koth_peaks tonight. I kind of want to try cp_integrity so we might play that one too. We'll probably try to do a third map too, but I'm leaving that slot open atm since I can't really decide right now, been wanting to pug cp_bazillion for a while, though.

waxpax

Feb 25, 2011
Ended up playing koth_peaks, cp_integrity, cp_mainline (without heavy), and backwards badlands.

I think we might be limiting most of the pugs to just cookie cutter classes with some expectations depending on if the type of map, people are getting frustrated trying to see how a new map plays and then stalemating on last because you're still trying to figure out how to push the point and then running into the defenders running double engie.

Edit: Also, starting tonight, we'll probably only be recording each team's match comms if someone requests it, we'll still record the post game discussion, though. I don't really know how beneficial the match comms really are and it's just easier to only record the map discussion.

Last edited:

waxpax

Feb 25, 2011
Should be having some pugs tomorrow (the 11th) starting around 8:30est, I'll either be late or miss them entirely tomorrow as my parents are visiting. Stalin's been having some computer problems lately, though, so that might be an issue tomorrow. Hopefully it won't be one and hopefully we can also get some pugs going on Saturday as well.

RavenStryker

Former Alias: †Blade†/Xi.Cynx
aa
Nov 25, 2008
Blade, Luxor looks like it would be way too big for 6s. I was looking at it with Walka though, and he really liked the fact that it looked fun to jump around, he thought it would make a good trick jump map.

Sry been away for some time, 'tis a shame it seems to big. Did you actually run through it at all, cause the pictures make the map seem much bigger than it is, it just has lots of routes for flanking points and to keep things fresh.

waxpax

Feb 25, 2011
Sry been away for some time, 'tis a shame it seems to big. Did you actually run through it at all, cause the pictures make the map seem much bigger than it is, it just has lots of routes for flanking points and to keep things fresh.

Yeah, I ran through it with Walka the same day you posted it in this thread, didn't look at it for very long, though, so I might look at it again when I can get some other people's opinions on it and see if I just got the wrong first impression from it. It's happened a couple times already that I've changed my mind on a map since I've looked at something like 30 maps in the past 2 weeks and I either get them confused or am too quick to judge. I honestly didn't expect Trotim1 to play as well as it did in 6s and we probably would'nt have pugged it if Trotim hadn't posted in this thread.

It looked like it would be good to pub, it just seemed like 12 people wouldn't be enough to really keep the action going. As much as I dislike Viaduct, of all the koth maps I've looked at, Via is probably just the right size for 6s. Most koth maps I've looked at are either too big to maintain a quick combat pace, or cater so much to snipers that the map would be dominated by them.

But, yeah, I'll look at it again with whoever I can get and see if it would work. All I really need to do is convince 12 people to play a map for us to test it anyway and there have only been 1 or 2 maps that the people in the pug refused to play, so that's pretty good odds that we can get any given map tested in a weekend.

Also, looks like we're pugging these maps tonight:

koth_peaks_b4
cp_resonance_b12
cp_aqueous_a3

I think the creators of all three of those maps are either going to be in the pug tonight, or will be trying to be there which is the primary reason we're testing them tonight. Should be starting around 9est.