Most Poorly-Designed Official Maps

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
Mannhattan is actualy a good begin of a new concept but definitely has flaws since its difficulty progress isnt correct (that is in the map, not in the waves).

CP 1 is quite often lost showing its a decent point, hard to hold all waves but well enough to defend. CP2 however is a pain for bots to normaly capture, its 1 massive bottleneck for them making it the easiest point to defend. And then comes the final assault which most teams have issues with to defend. Its a part that for a good team is interesting to defend, but those never face it.

Thats the main issue on that map.

But if we actualy look at the way the map plays it also adds a whole new variety of tactics. Its actualy the first map which has small S shapes for bots to walk. And although some might not like that, its actualy gives more variety compared to other maps.

If i have to call a dull and even more flawed map i actualy would say bigrock. That map is basicly: Hold the cave... the rest of the map is barely used and nearly allways requires a tank for that. Thats bad design since you only use 20% of the map (compared to mannhattans 50%). Bigrock also doesnt realy add anything new either except for long frustrating walking distances. The rest of its shape is left or right which decoy and coaltown also had. Except there those paths are actualy used alot more often.

And let mannhattan actualy be quite short in walk lenght for the players, while its S shape makes it capable of having long rounds which remain far more interesting than bigrock ones.

Mannhattan is a good map and worthy for MvM

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
fun fact: I have never opened bigrock, not even to look around.

EDIT: Now I have. JEEEZZZUUSSSS that looks bad.

Last edited:

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
Hoodoo isn't terrible, but the second point on Stage 2 is WAAAAAAAAAAAY too easy to defend. BLU seems to always lose unless the team balance is off. Might be nice to see it modified. Please don't kill me, YM.

Turbine is pretty bad. The routes are all crowded and easy to defend, and the blind dropdown into the intel room is useless. There's also a serious lack of open space. Having outside areas would have probably helped with that. Oh, and there's pretty much no ammo kits. Anywhere. Except in the bases.

Bunbun

aa
May 18, 2014
Is there a official map where the layout is terrible and even the detailing isn't that impressive?

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
Turbine is pretty bad. The routes are all crowded and easy to defend, and the blind dropdown into the intel room is useless. There's also a serious lack of open space. Having outside areas would have probably helped with that. Oh, and there's pretty much no ammo kits. Anywhere. Except in the bases.

Normally I detest the "pro" versions of maps -- warmfront, for example, sucked all the style and a lot of the fun out of coldfront -- but the pro version of turbine is actually VERY good. Lot of really needed changes and still mindlessly fun.

wareya

L420: High Member
Jun 17, 2012
The pro version of turbine introduces that complete and utterly ridiculously awful banana flank.

And no, turbine's layout isn't as ridiculously terrible as you might think. It gets the very basics of CTF right. The problem is that it didn't go far enough in being ridiculous.

The routes are crowded because it was made before people took 12v12 for granted. It's an 8v8 map.

The "blind dropdown" really truly honestly isn't useless. I've had it be very useful in my time on the map.

The REAL problem is the lack of flank from vents to hallway, which turbine2 addresses.

Last edited:

RubbishyUser

L7: Fancy Member
Feb 17, 2013
Rumor has it that cp_cloak is used to test lip-syncing, which is why it has all of the classes' faces surrounding it.

Moonrat

nothing left
aa
Jul 30, 2014
I absolutely hate Koth_King

When I first played it, I noticed that the map was way too fucking big for a Koth map. It also had lots of routes, but lacked sight lines and the middle point was easy to lock down if you knew what to do

I don't really like Hoodoo either, though it's not really bad, I just don't feel like it hits all of the sweet spots that other TF2 maps do....

Junction, from what I've played, was bad, but after most people left the sever, and it was 6v6. I had a lot of fun with the map. its just not a good map to brings lots of friends to....

Bigrock is also an ehh from me, with most the map being closet space for the mercs, and the fact that beside the cave, it's structured exactly like Coaltown and Decoy....

I don't like Process, but I haven't played much of it....

I don't really like Pipeline either.

Frontier can suck it, I hate the cramped space, and it's structured very oddly for a PL map.....

That's about it for the maps part.....

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
Bigrock is also an ehh from me, with most the map being closet space for the mercs, and the fact that beside the cave, it's structured exactly like Coaltown and Decoy....
Bigrock is my least favourite MvM map partly because it just doesn't have much of a theme beyond "uhh it's a desert I guess", which makes it boring and forgettable.

In that regard, Decoy is my favourite MvM map.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
All of the payload race maps are pretty bad. If it's not multi-stage for no good reason (why would you do that in a symmetrical map, seriously?) they're burdened with horribly placed rollback zones that lead to stalemates that aren't even real stalemates because there's no bloody timer. There's a good mode in there somewhere, but I haven't seen a map that showed that off properly and made it past alpha.

JohnRavenEye

L1: Registered
Jul 27, 2014
Junction has some pretty bad clipping on it. Some stairs aren't clipped and some wall conduits are still solid so they get in the way of playing. Also, I believe you can get onto the lights on top of control point B.

T

The Asylum

Junction.

Junction makes Hydro look like Gravel Pit by comparison.

biskuu

L2: Junior Member
Oct 25, 2014
Pipeline has a TON of props that you shouldn't be able to stand on and almost all (if not all) stairs are un-smoothed, meaning you cannot surf them and when you walk on them your head goes up and down.
Still, pretty fun to play on pubs. :p

Nov 2, 2010
Is there a official map where the layout is terrible and even the detailing isn't that impressive?

Fastlane

zeldacdi__medium.jpg

I feel guilty as hell criticising other people's maps but I hate Fastlane. In visual terms, it's not bad; it gets the visual theme right and it matches some of the other official maps, but it's so BORING to look at. Name one interesting landmark of Fastlane. You can't, can you? The second points are random squares of concrete and the midpoint is just a bleeding shack. How does that shack stand up, anyway? It doesn't even have walls yet it somehow supports a roof. Bizarre.

The mid and second points are so wide and open that I constantly get sniped by people hiding in the ditches or in the doorways. Worst of all is when capping the second point and Soldiers and Snipers stand on that walkway above you, taking potshots at you while you have no cover whatsoever. Then the final point is just a box which everyone piles into and it turns into a clusterfunk.

So yeah. Not a fan.

RubbishyUser

L7: Fancy Member
Feb 17, 2013
Fun fact about Fastlane. It's set on top of a mountain, like Upward or Offblast. You didn't even know, did you?

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
Fun fact about Fastlane. It's set on top of a mountain, like Upward or Offblast. You didn't even know, did you?

I see absolutely zero indication that Fastlane is on top of a mountain.