Most Poorly-Designed Official Maps

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
2Fort/Dustbowl/Goldrush have fallen out of favour. Remember that these were popular and "well designed" maps back in the day.

Nevertheless, we are never going to see another 2Fort again. It is no longer fit for TF2. It no longer fits the game it was designed for, which means it's poorly designed. 2Fort is a bad map.
No I don't remember that. They were bad the day they released. :p
2Fort and Dustbowl were poorly designed in TFC, and they ported over poorly (hell, TFC 2fort was a port itself). Goldrush was just an adaptation of Dustbowl's design and layout which made it suffer from very similar problems.

Apr 14, 2013
Silly maps:
Turbine, Standin, DeGroot Keep, Hightower/Helltower, Harvest

"Old" maps:
2Fort, Dustbowl, Junction, Goldrush, Hoodoo, Asteroid

Stinkers:
5Gorge, Well (both types), Hydro, Doomsday

I will move doomsday to the silly maps.
Apart from this, I think most maps really depend on the players with you. I had quite a lot of fun playing ctf_well one day on some random server, and the other day I joined ctf_well on another server and there was nothing bus spawncamping.

But assuming that you have a good player base, I'll say that, besides the maps already mentioned, G-pit is unbalanced and splits both teams in half (some might disagree, but I think it's pretty bad), and ctf_sawmill is just terrible.

wareya

L420: High Member
Jun 17, 2012
2Fort and Dustbowl were poorly designed in TFC
I know dustbowl was always trash, but 2fort was played competitively, even if it wasn't badlands. It plays nowhere near as poorly as it does in TF2.

Anyways, my O on topic:

Poor:
ctf_sawmill
ctf_doublecross
cp_5gorge
cp_fastlane
cp_yukon
manor/mountainlab
pl_frontier
pl_hoodoo
arena_nucleus
arena_offblast
arena_badlands
koth_badlands

Terrible:
plr_anything
cp_junction
arena_watchtower

Last edited:

Bunbun

aa
May 18, 2014
(In my opinion)
Top 5 valve maps:
5. cp_steel
4. pl_frontier
3. cp_gullywash
2. cp_granary
1. cp_badlands

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
All official maps, ranked very roughly from best to worst in my opinion:

Hydro
Badwater
Goldrush
Upward
Badlands
Barnblitz
Coldfront
Dustbowl
Frontier
Thunder Mountain
Viaduct
Lakeside
Yukon
Gravelpit
Nucleus - koth
Doublecross
Hoodoo
Gorge
Lumberyard
Nucleus - arena
Offblast
Ravine
Doomsday
Pipeline
Harvest
Fastlane
Sawmill
Granary
Steel
2Fort
Egypt
Well - cp
Junction
Turbine
Well - ctf
Degroot Keep
Watchtower

MVM:
??? no idea how I'd rank any of these except to say mannhattan is poop.

Never played/Played only once:
5Gorge
Foundry
Freight
Gullywash
Process
Standin
Snakewater - (Didn't even know this was official until I looked at the wiki map list for this post)
Hightower
badlands - koth
well - arena
Kong King
Sawmill - koth

(It is best to note that excepting the original 6, badwater, goldrush and badlands, I haven't really had that much play time on any of these maps)

RubbishyUser

L7: Fancy Member
Feb 17, 2013
I know a lot of the veteran mappers are busy a lot of the time, but I'm kind of worried how many rarely look at what maps are actually in the game. That's really backwards thinking. Maybe we should start running official maps gamedays! :p

Shogun

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 31, 2014
What's the point in an official map gameday though? These maps are already in game, so just hop on a Valve server if you want to play them. They're finished products, so there's no point in leaving feedback, and if you want to analyze them just create a server with that map and take a look around.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
This is the community I play TF2 with, so I play here. I don't want to play on some crappy server with moronic randomers, I want to play here with the people I know.
Then, people like you, get agressively angry whenever official maps are run on our servers even if there was nothing else going on at the time. So it never happens.
Thus -> I don't get to play Valve maps much beyond the week they're released

RubbishyUser

L7: Fancy Member
Feb 17, 2013
float and YM, I was just being silly about "official map" gamedays. On topic, I honestly think the standard of the majority of Valve maps are very high, and am glad that they mostly give us them in their polished state. That's why I worry about the beta maps; rather like the many early access games on Steam, I worry that people treat them as a finished product and think Valve aren't doing their job.

That does beg the question: why not make huge changes to the maps in game that aren't getting attention because of how poor they are? Here I'm obviously talking about the maps that aren't divisive in popularity, so I wouldn't suggest 2Fort or Dustbowl, but some kind of update to Well or Turbine wouldn't go amiss.

Still hoping that Turbine2 becomes an official thing...

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
It's a bag of turd. Big spammy warehouse, then a bend and then the base. The only redeeming feature is the banana skin industrial grinder.

molybdochalkos

L1: Registered
Aug 21, 2014
It's a bag of turd. Big spammy warehouse, then a bend and then the base. The only redeeming feature is the banana skin industrial grinder.
Off the top of your head, if you had the option to change the map to your liking (provided you believe it's salvageable in its current state), what would be one or two major changes you'd like to apply to it? Anything from adding a new route to rearranging or removing props, however general or specific you'd like to be.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
ctrl+a > del.

I dunno what I'd do to it, I played it about 10 times during two weeks, over a year ago.