Metalworks

CP metalworks B22

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Anyway, people tend to overestimate the importance of a name being relevant to the theme of your map (I've never found any bad water in Badwater or any water at all for that matter).

This is silly. It's Badwater Basin, but pl_badwater is the filename. Similar to Furnace Creek. See any furnaces on cp_furnace?

Aug 23, 2008
Quick query: Thoughts on the point at last? I started with it flush with the ledge around it, moved it up. Now I'm not sure where it should be. A lot of 5cp lasts are lowered down, giving the defenders a bit of height, so they can push back on the point when people jump on it.

waxpax

L5: Dapper Member
Feb 25, 2011
Last felt really small and almost claustrophobic, but, at the same time, it had enough obstacles in it to make it difficult to play as a medic. When I played, it felt like the only place I could really play was behind the point and mostly on the back right. If I tried to play on the left and attempt to heal people in the pit-like area, I ended up just being jumped, so, I kind of just had to ignore anyone that wasn't either on the point or behind the point. It also seemed hard to defend, but that might have just been because it was a pug team.

Aug 23, 2008
Updated revenant: Primary note, the maps name going forward is going to be metalworks, to try and keep with the tf2 naming conventions.

I've been working this one for a while and then started working on process, so I don't really have a change log. Reverted last a bit, putting the point back down. Changed some textures and such around certain connectors. Changed the layout of middle a bit, to make the height a bit harder to acquire.

ETC.

Aug 23, 2008
B14 is out:

Changelog:

- Changes to middle. I extended it quite a bit to make combat flow a bit better. Also put a rather large point in the center to give some separation between the two sides. Added flanking cargo containers, height advantage for roamers.
- Changes to last. Reverted to a previous version of the map. Point is in a corner of the area now, and should be a bit easier to defend, and a bit more linear to attack.

Sep 1, 2009
I quite like the changes you made to the map overall and gameplay is much smoother and more forward which I enjoy. My only problem with the map at all is that I feel the final point on either side needs to take a bit longer to cap as a single quick scout coul easily ninja it during the test.

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
My only problem besides what Godslayer said was the platform opposite of the last point, you could easily push defenders back to their spawn from there when they came to defend last because it overlooks both ways out of the spawn.
My other problem is with the mid, the pipes you can climb are pretty low, so they get easily on the way, you should rise them higher and have somekind small ramp up to the. Also the railing around the mid structure got easily on your way when trying to shoot on the point.

Other that those, this was really fun map, good job.

(I want old name back :( )

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I thought this map stalemated A LOT, but according to the feedback panel it resulted in 2-2 wins after a ton of team switching. That said, it was a stalemate for ages and then a bunch of steam rolls at the end, which wasn't that fun. Mostly it was the doors around CP1-2 that made it difficult to push out. A single demo could hold down an important flank and the sniper platform looking onto CP2 was also problematic for defenders counter-attacking CP2. In public play this is probably less of an issue, but we had a lot of clan/pug players in during the beginning stages of the gameday that raped certain locations in the map. IE the doors and that ledge at the end of the right flank of CP2.

TMP

Ancient Pyro Main
aa
Aug 11, 2008
I played this in a lobby today, I found the lack of ammo rather frustrating. But overall I liked it. I heard sentiments on too many flank routes in one, but I'm not sure if this would be an issue if this becomes played more.

I played demoman, and found it fairly fun.

Aug 23, 2008
Updated to b17. Lots of playtest sessions with invite players, got a lot of feedback and made some minor changes to layout to help with the overall flow.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
A couple things that continue to bother me about this map:

1) All your windows are using the same "lit" skin. It seems natural to me that not every room in an industrial estate would be occupied, especially since industry hours are strictly 9 to 5 and this is set at night. I can only imagine it's set during winter months and in the UK because no where else would have such mild weather. You should change some of the skins, if only to break the monotony.

2) Every room and/or courtyard is littered with ramps or stairways. Height variation is good, yes, but it's like some spaces are a faithful representation from MC Escher's infamous "Relativity" drawing (Google if you must).

3) Said stairs are all set to a 2:1 ratio. Some 2:1 stairs are fine and occasionally aesthetics make them work as well, but it takes players longer climb a set of 2:1 stairs to the next height; and stairs are very difficult to undertake combat on and around (among other things they also make players predictable as they are forced to make linear movement). This is exploited primarily by demomen, snipers (especially huntsman) and less so, solly's. Ramps are fairly happy at any angle and depending on the aesthetic used to implement said ramp you can easily get away with odd or numerous ramps because rockets and grenades react in a more predictable fashion on them (they're flat surfaces). Stairs, not so much. The other thing is that stairs take up a lot of space. You don't have much open space for people to run around in, theirs either a low bridge going over the top or a ramp/stairway cutting across one or more flanks.

I find one of the reasons this map has a tendancy to stalemate is because combat, despite the multiple routes, is very linear. People running towards and away from each other with little opportunity to run around each other within a single space.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2008
Woop thanks man. The map was likely to be voted into esea as well, but due to a voting snafu it had to go up against gravelpit, and due to the popularity and long standing awesomeness of that map for comp, I lost by a WIDE margin.

Also, newest version of the map is b22. I forgot to upload it here, was hoping a last minute admin decision would get metalworks into esea anyway.

Aug 23, 2008
LETS SEE HOW MANY WE CAN UPDATE OJESUS

b24 is out.

-reverted second forward spawns, the postion was too far forward and a demo man spawning there could pretty much deny a cap of second.
-replaced one of the cargo containers at last with a series of boxes, still provides height but not nearly as much LoS blockage.
-adjusted some ammo around the map.
-added some platform extensions at middle, allowing for a bit more dodging etc
-fixed first forward spawn roof