Positive Ratings:
    Don't

rename this map.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  3. RubbishyUser

RubbishyUser L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]

Blu team on the left, red team on the right. I will still be upset that this isn't called don't any more, but at least you've chosen a real area in British Columbia for me to look up puns around.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Berry

aa Berry resident homo

Positive Ratings:
    I had no idea it was a real place to be honest.

Let the puns continue!

5. Berry

aa Berry resident homo

Positive Ratings:
    A7
    Download

6. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, we found this after we picked our name, too.

A player from our server almost bought a bottle for us that he was going to bring to PAX when we met up, but ran out of time before he left.

7. Prestige

aa Prestige im not gay anymore

Positive Ratings:
    this map is turning out really good. i would remove the current flank and instead return it to it's "nice holding area" glory (similar to viaduct cliff). then add a flank to make lower more useful area to be and you got yourself a map.

this is what I would do personally. It might be too easy to go past the point and remove focus from the point area but I think the way the routes to the point are positioned to the point, it would be neat and fun. dropdowns/crate jump route would be enough if it ends up too flanky.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: May 28, 2014
  8. Berry

aa Berry resident homo

Positive Ratings:
    A8
    Download

9. sevin

aa sevin

Positive Ratings:
  10. Berry

aa Berry resident homo

Positive Ratings:
    A9
    Competitive-based changes:
    Download (.bz2)

11. Berry

aa Berry resident homo

Positive Ratings:
    B3

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. EArkham

aa EArkham Necromancer

Positive Ratings:
    You should update OP with the new detailing.

This is overall a pretty good and fun map. Decent distance to mid.

Not crazy about the direction you face when you spawn. Not a major issue, you can orient yourself pretty quickly, but it seems a tiny bit disconcerting at first.

The spawns are awfully spacious, feels empty.

Someone mentioned red spawning in blu's spawn at one point.

There's a crate near the second row of buildings that should be moved closer to the building corner. Little too strong for snipers otherwise (I'm sure the sniper using that spot during the test today will feedback it, since he mentioned it in game a few times).

Overall a good map, looking forward to seeing future tweaks and revisions.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. ThrowingPie

ThrowingPie L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I enjoyed playing the map but a high sniper spot/ balcony might make the sniper better when defending. If you're team controls the CP then you can snipe from the point but other then that the sniper is slightly limited. ( just my two cents might not work if you try it)

Overall I enjoyed playing on the map and think it looks good.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Nerdbot

Nerdbot L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I love the look of the map, and just running around and giving it a cursory glance I think the layout has some great potential.

(Nerdy pet peeve: the garage doors on the front of the BLU base can't possibly go anywhere!!! They lead right into elevator shafts!!!!!!)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Berry

aa Berry resident homo

Positive Ratings:
    Not sure if it still is or not, but TF2M's image updatey thingie is down I think (it was the last 2 or 3 times I checked)

16. Freyja

aa Freyja It hurt itself in it's confusion!

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]

I'm sure you know of this one. You should edit the VMT to not produce detailsprites.

Additionally, I *hate* this rock texture. It's just so ugly, repeditive, noisy and ugly. It's your choice I guess but I think the winter (yukon) rockwall, although not tiling vertically, looks better 100% of the time.

[​IMG]

This area feels really empty. Some grass props, random barrels or crates in the corners, just general clutter against the walls would really help to make the area feel less empty and more lived in without changing the layout much if at all.

[​IMG]

This out of bounds area is nice, but the cliffs, like Frozen said in the other thread, feel quite pillowy and unnatural. Making them flare out at the bottom (like actual cliffs do, unless they're eroded from below by water) would make them look nicer. Also I feel some more emphasis on the sign is probably important.

[​IMG]

Sign colliding with props.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I feel this detailing so far suffers in the same way as to your otherwise outstanding detail 2SS entry. Your lighting is just really poor, it's empty and creates a very flat and lacklustre feeling to the map. The environment lighting is cool, but isn't enough alone.

Lighting your doors is a really easy way to improve this, and official maps do this everywhere. Take a look at the lighting specifically in something like this or this. You can see in both how the actual routes you can take are extremely visibly lit, drawing players towards them, and it really helps to break up the monotony of the lighting at the same time.

[​IMG]

This is another place in maple ridge that could serve so much from just some highlighting. From this angle, I can't even tell there's a door there, it could simply be a dead end or area.

[​IMG]

The lighting in this room feels weird. I walked in here and thought the lighting was odd, I had to actually search for the window it was coming from. While accurate, the rest of the lighting in the room neutralizes the natural lighting, so the skylight coming in actually feels super out of place and looks like it was cast from the light above.

[​IMG]

Your door frame here is floating.

[​IMG]

I don't like this style of stair, it feels way too long horizontally and as a result looks odd, I think stairs work best as 2:3 gradients.

[​IMG]

In the case of a place like this, where lighting variation does less to create interest because of the full daylight, you should use a lot more dense detailing around the routes instead. Flat walls aren't bad, but in this case it is because this wall acts as the fa├žade for the blue part of the map, and it's incredibly drab, especially around the door. Here's an example of a rather boring (texture wise and architecturally), but makes up for it using clutter, lots of overlays and light fixtures to create more detail density, and thus more interest.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  17. wareya

wareya L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    nightfall/cliffwall.vtf is best gray cliff texture

18. puxorb

aa puxorb L69: Emoticon

Positive Ratings:
    One complaint that I have with the map is that those gameplay doors inside the spawn for the elevators, while very cool, are also quite confusing. I had a hard time trying to find the actual gameplay door surrounded by these.

I would recommend trying to recreate them out of brushwork with a metal grate as the inside part and metal/ibeam001 as the border/trim.

19. Pocket

aa Pocket Ya like Jazz?

Positive Ratings:
    Addendum on a couple of Aly's screenshots:

And it's a single flat surface made out of wooden slats that are inexplicably held together, just for the purposes of nailing a sign to it. Valve has made maps that use detail brushes just to attach signs to props too, but they're a lot subtler about it; they're usually gray sheet metal and the exact same size as the overlay.

And it's clipping into the wood. Remember, those are tracks for the door to run on; they need to be exposed.

20. TheoF114

TheoF114 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    B4:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 3