Map loss

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by N0VA, Oct 30, 2016.

1. N0VA

N0VA L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    So recently i have been working on my map koth_progresso, (though its more an experiment map)

So today i went to load up hammer because i wanted to play around with player clipping
    upon opening the .vmf however, my entire map was gone. as if i pressed "new" instead of "open"
    I double checked to make sure i loaded the right .vmf and even restarted hammer twice,

Any idea what could have caused this? or is there still a way back?

As a beginning mapper this is EXTREMELY de-motivating.

Thanks in advance
    ~Nova

EDIT: i have managed to find myself an autosave folder, though the map is kinda "damaged" it has most of the things i had saved last time

2. killohurtz

aa killohurtz Distinction in Applied Carving

Positive Ratings:
    This has happened to me a handful of times, and it seems to be a result of something going wrong while saving the map - I had one such incident happen because my PC bluescreened right as I hit Ctrl+S. As far as I'm aware, this bug is irreparable. The best ways you can be prepared for it are to do frequent internal versioning (re-save with a different filename whenever you do something significant), keep your autosave interval short, and do vbsp-only compiles occasionally (you can decompile these, though the resulting vmf won't be exact). It sucks, but there isn't much else we can do when the software is this old.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. N0VA

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks for your help, indeed i have autosave enabled as i knew it would come in handy,
    2 things about the map has changed,
    1: the respawn entity changed to a green gordon freeman (i have ABS resource pack installed
    2: some game entitys (tf_gamerules etc) have turned into gray blocks, while they previously had textures.

4. killohurtz

Positive Ratings:
    The engineer model and the tf_gamerules icon (among many other entity icons) were part of ABS's FGD, so it probably just needs to be reinstalled.

5. N0VA

Positive Ratings:
    (this probably my last reply to this, i hate spamming a solved issue)
    Will it hurt my map in any way?
    texture loss, setting up outputs agian, etc?

6. killohurtz

Positive Ratings:
    No, the vmf should be just like you left it. It's as if the map was a book that Hammer "forgot" some of the words to, and the FGD is the "dictionary" that will let it understand them again.

7. Idolon

aa Idolon the worst admin

Positive Ratings:
    I have my advance compile options set to save a backup of the map on every compile, which has saved my bacon on a number of occasions (my computer crashes a lot).

• Thanks Thanks x 1