Map feedback has never been easier

MjRNuT

L1: Registered
Mar 23, 2008
If you belong to a forum that supports custom maps please make a thread for this, then post a link to it in this thread so Geit can easily get feedback and address issues with the plugin!

Hello there, I have made such a thread at our humble abode

It's a bit lengthy since we've always run Custom Maps.

Am I to assume that the webpanel is exclusive to TF2Maps.net? The plugin is configured to feed it, rather than say our own webpanel or X webpanels even?

Feel free to move this question to the proper place.

Thanks!

Geit

💜 I probably broke it 💜
aa
May 28, 2009
Hello there, I have made such a thread at our humble abode

It's a bit lengthy since we've always run Custom Maps.

Am I to assume that the webpanel is exclusive to TF2Maps.net? The plugin is configured to feed it, rather than say our own webpanel or X webpanels even?

Feel free to move this question to the proper place.

Thanks!

We will not be releasing the sourcecode to the webpanel, namely because it gains traffic for TF2Maps.net and provides a centralized location for all feedback but also because it's a shocking (but fast and functional) mess.

You are welcome to have the plugin that feeds into the TF2Maps database though, as soon as we move it into a database that is safe for other servers to interact with.

ratty

L1: Registered
Jul 25, 2009
Alright lets all help Geit make this thing popular!

If you want to inform other communities about this plugin simply make a thread with the title:

Help the mappers out - Give a little feedback!

Then paste this into the message box:

I have already posted a thread on these forums:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1543187
http://www.ubercharged.net/forum/index.php?topic=5322.0
http://forums.2fort2furious.com/viewtopic.php?pid=128014
http://forums.nom-nom-nom.us/topic/9898-help-the-mappers-out-give-a-little-feedback/
http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1019991-Help-the-mappers-out-Give-a-little-feedback!

If you belong to a forum that supports custom maps please make a thread for this, then post a link to it in this thread so Geit can easily get feedback and address issues with the plugin!

Lastly if you want to join a forum to post the thread refer to this list for custom friendly communities.

Hi, I searched around to find this thread. I know you meant well, but I just wanted to comment that I didn't appreciate my forums being spammed with that sales pitch. The thing even starts out with the full help on it, which could confuse my users into thinking the poster is an admin and we already added it!
If you want to spread it, make a custom post, written at least as if you wrote it, saying plainly that you found that plugin, and you think they should add the plugin and why. Otherwise its like answering the phone and having it be a recorded telemarketer spamming you. Just start up a conversation that can be responded to, don't just leave a one-way spam on their doorstep. Or maybe I'm being quirky and everyone else loves seeing messages from people where you wonder if they even read your forums.

That said, I will be using this plugin when we run map tests, its much handier than telling people to post comments on our forums.

Last edited:

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
I wonder if it'd be possible to find forum accounts through a user's Steam ID so that we can get thanks via the feedback plugin.

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
I wonder if it'd be possible to find forum accounts through a user's Steam ID so that we can get thanks via the feedback plugin.
its possible for those who have their steam id in their profile.

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
.......png

What?

Boylee

pew pew pew
aa
Apr 29, 2008
This is fantastic. Truly exceptional.

We've just installed this over on the playstuff.net teamplay server and it seems to work wonderfully.

Couple of points to note, don't know if thee have been mentioned before.

• People can delete each others annotations, would be better if you can only delete your own unless you're the map author. EDIT: just me as I'm root admin, derp.
  • If one deletes an annotation an new annotation cannot be put in that place, it still thinks there's an annotation present.

Minor gripes really though. We're going to write some configs that allow for an overtime where people can add annotations, I'll post em up in this thread once we've got them working nicely.

Last edited:

Geit

💜 I probably broke it 💜
aa
May 28, 2009
This is fantastic. Truly exceptional.

We've just installed this over on the playstuff.net teamplay server and it seems to work wonderfully.

Couple of points to note, don't know if thee have been mentioned before.

• People can delete each others annotations, would be better if you can only delete your own unless you're the map author. EDIT: just me as I'm root admin, derp.
  • If one deletes an annotation an new annotation cannot be put in that place, it still thinks there's an annotation present.

Minor gripes really though. We're going to write some configs that allow for an overtime where people can add annotations, I'll post em up in this thread once we've got them working nicely.

All fixed.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Since playstuff are using the same database surely annotations made in either server should show in the other? It's just a bunch of coordinates. I noticed that i couldn't see any on TF2maps after they were made over at PS.

Although, saying that, when i went to PS each time the map was loaded the annotations disappeared...

Geit

💜 I probably broke it 💜
aa
May 28, 2009
Since playstuff are using the same database surely annotations made in either server should show in the other? It's just a bunch of coordinates. I noticed that i couldn't see any on TF2maps after they were made over at PS.

Although, saying that, when i went to PS each time the map was loaded the annotations disappeared...

Fixed. - There was an issue with the callback code for the annotations where it would only work when there was one annotation on the map. >.>

Geit

💜 I probably broke it 💜
aa
May 28, 2009
The transfer must be initiated through the feedback web panel by an admin, it will work best if the event has already passed.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
Freshly downloaded the annotations vmf as an instance in my map's latest version, then collapsed it. VEEERY HANDY.

Small request: is it possible to put the text of the annotation into the comments section of the info_null entity? As it is, you have to stretch the entity box pretty wide for some comments, where if it were in the comments box you could see all or almost all of a comment by simply clicking on the entity.

Also, I notice that each annotation has two "Name" fields. One is red like hammerid fields and reads "annotation" while the other is white and empty. Not a nitpick, but might be a quirk of automagically generating the vmf.

[Edit] Another thing. Just noticed that the vmf is missing two of the feedback comments. From here, the vmf doesn't have Iguana's "map is very health heavy" comment nor StickZero's "fog doesn't fit with skybox" comment. I mention which comments so that you can figure out what comment qualities make them not show up.

Kep

Last edited:

Geit

💜 I probably broke it 💜
aa
May 28, 2009
Freshly downloaded the annotations vmf as an instance in my map's latest version, then collapsed it. VEEERY HANDY.

Small request: is it possible to put the text of the annotation into the comments section of the info_null entity? As it is, you have to stretch the entity box pretty wide for some comments, where if it were in the comments box you could see all or almost all of a comment by simply clicking on the entity.

Also, I notice that each annotation has two "Name" fields. One is red like hammerid fields and reads "annotation" while the other is white and empty. Not a nitpick, but might be a quirk of automagically generating the vmf.

[Edit] Another thing. Just noticed that the vmf is missing two of the feedback comments. From here, the vmf doesn't have Iguana's "map is very health heavy" comment nor StickZero's "fog doesn't fit with skybox" comment. I mention which comments so that you can figure out what comment qualities make them not show up.

Kep

Done.

Not sure how to fix, made a little change that may have done it, not sure.

The VMF Generator only puts in annotations, both of those messages were "general feedbacks" or "comments", which have no location saved. - The only place they could go would be 0, 0, 0

Last edited:

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I've noticed a lot of feedback didn't register because someone used !GF or !FB instead of !gf or !fb. Maybe that could be rectified? I hope?

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
Another suggestion (and someone probably already suggested this at some point):

In addition to the "Delete" button on the feedback site, can we also have a "Fixed/Addressed" button?

Maybe I misunderstand how the feedback site is intended to work, but if I fix something in a map and delete the comment, I'd like the person who submitted it to know that it was actually fixed and not ignored.

This is really a fantastic tool as is though, so let me make that clear. :)

Also, it'd be perfect if mappers could add comments to their compiled map that can be read by testers. Like, "How is this spot for sentries?" or "Is spam a problem in this area?" Maybe an info_target or something.

Kep

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I've noticed a lot of feedback didn't register because someone used !GF or !FB instead of !gf or !fb. Maybe that could be rectified? I hope?

There are probably 20 annotations not even a third of the way into this latest demo that I didn't get because !Gf or !Fb don't trigger.

Either those need to be accepted or !fb and !gf need confirmation messages or something.