Major Mapping Contest #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
And I guess it also didn't help us that out contest was right in the middle of new CEVO and ESEA seasons.

If there were comp players that would be interested, they'd be preoccupied on their competitions.

The only reason Turbine is played is because the Euros seem to like it despite the easy to hold mid.
Everyone keeps bringing this up so I'll say it again. Euros don't play Turbine anymore! It SUCKS!

Almost nobody plays CTF anymore. Not competitively, not publicly.

Last edited:

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
I'm sort of wondering why we're all still arguing. I think we've heard and said everything you guys are talking about before, and the contest is over. Let's move onto the next important issue, shall we?

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Well, I just asked a question (twice actually) which I didn't get an answer to because it got derailed within 1-2 posts. A question which I feel was relevant even if things are 'over'.

Jimmy

L420: High Member
Jul 6, 2009
Results will be posted after the weekend.

Ima goin skydiving :thumbup1: (never ever been on a plane before :D)

High five land lubber! Oh wait thats boats. Wait for me to think of a non flyer term.....

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
Almost nobody plays CTF anymore. Not competitively, not publicly.

Correlation is not causation. Blame the lack of good maps, not the mode itself. Or blame people like yourself that think correlation is causation, and completely write the whole category off because the few maps that existed for it in the past were crap.

That was kind of the whole point of this contest, to fix that problem.

Nov 14, 2009
I played almost exclusively on a 24/7 CTF server for quite a while. Very fun, great lot of people. When I started mapping, I stopped playing TF2 for a while, and realized that the other gamemodes are better than CTF.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Correlation is not causation. Blame the lack of good maps, not the mode itself. Or blame people like yourself that think correlation is causation, and completely write the whole category off because the few maps that existed for it in the past were crap.

That was kind of the whole point of this contest, to fix that problem.

It might have even worked if it wasn't comp orientated. But since many of the maps only got seriously tested publicly anyway i guess it's not too far to say they'd potentially become successful in the public domain if they were to continue to be developed to that end. Which is actually something i'm more interested in right now. I'll deffinately be following many of the maps if they are to continue towards a final complete resolution.

I think that's definately something worth persuing by the authors. It'd be a shame for these nice maps to reach a dead end like this...

sniprpenguin

L6: Sharp Member
Mar 14, 2008
It might have even worked if it wasn't comp orientated. But since many of the maps only got seriously tested publicly anyway i guess it's not too far to say they'd potentially become successful in the public domain if they were to continue to be developed to that end. Which is actually something i'm more interested in right now. I'll deffinately be following many of the maps if they are to continue towards a final complete resolution.

I think that's definately something worth persuing by the authors. It'd be a shame for these nice maps to reach a dead end like this...

I actually switched between roughly 6v6 playtesting and 24-32 man testing for Metalwood. I knew that mine prolly wasn't going to do good, but I would still like to continue that trend. Right now, I'm just waiting for the judges' feedback while I try to work on something not-my-map.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I actually switched between roughly 6v6 playtesting and 24-32 man testing for Metalwood. I knew that mine prolly wasn't going to do good, but I would still like to continue that trend. Right now, I'm just waiting for the judges' feedback while I try to work on something not-my-map.

I only managed 2 legitimate 6vs6 PUG's on my map, neither of which occured in the final release version. Most were 4vs4 fail PUG's or 8vs8 fail public games. I had hoped that was enough...

The design of my map was supposed to cater for traditional CTF issues such as spawn orientation and the relative spawn camping, whilst the scale would cater for both PUG and public player numbers. The timing and distance for objectives and spawn waves were executed perfectly (as far as i could tell), giving consistant back and forth action anywhere from 1vs1 to 8vs8. Feedback in games i hadn't attended certainly did not say otherwise.

I also had some strong judge support but apparently that still wasn't enough to become a finalist. :/ I'll just have to think of a way to make it more viable in 8vs8+ player numbers so that i can get some coverage in public play.

edit:

Hah, that second server is my regular.

Last edited:

Jimmy

L420: High Member
Jul 6, 2009
I feel sorry for the people like grazr who seemed to get very little public testing. I managed to get my map in many pub games with decent sizes (10 players + ) and overall about 7 PuG's, 3 of which were on the 2nd last version, with a PuG after the changes to make sure they worked. I for one think that if people worked a bit better together this would have been much easier. I have lotsa thanks to Owl, Midget and Stickzer0 especially considering they were present at almost every testing of my map, and owl organized a few without me knowing :p .

Status
Not open for further replies.