Major Mapping Contest #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flame

aa
Jul 19, 2009
well in our defense, the contest judges havent been announced yet so signing them up for 26 writeups is kinda absurd.

the submission got extended a week for bugs and youre already asking for votes.

the servers have not been set up for 8v8 nor do they have the proper cfgs.

and making a week long popularity contest is unfair to the mappers... also i won youmes sweepstakes, whens my vacation

Armadillo of Doom

Group Founder, Lover of Pie
aa
Oct 25, 2007
I already messaged the judges. Those who responded approved of the changes.

Submissions did not get extended for a week. Authors had 1 week to fix bugs. All authors received notice of the shortened time-limit, and I've had zero complaints.

The main servers should be set w/ comp. configurations now.

I never approved any vacations.

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
Here's a complaint: I know for a fact most of the people voting right now haven't actually played my map. I'm guessing this is also true for many other authors.

I'm hoping the thread is going to be reset, tests will be set up for a few weeks, and voting will start later. Otherwise 16 people are going to be really, really disappointed.

Armadillo of Doom

Group Founder, Lover of Pie
aa
Oct 25, 2007
Here's a complaint: I know for a fact most of the people voting right now haven't actually played my map. I'm guessing this is also true for many other authors.

I'm hoping the thread is going to be reset, tests will be set up for a few weeks, and voting will start later. Otherwise 16 people are going to be really, really disappointed.
Why can't they happen at the same time? The whole point is to play now, and then cast your votes. If we do official testing for weeks, and then open the threads, everybody will have forgotten the map specifics or simply lost interest.

Nov 14, 2009
I bet that most people will vote from screenshots, and name recognition.

"Oh Dr. Spud! That guy won the last contest! Must have a good map!"

They then proceed to click on the thread...

Then they look at his fabulous screenshot...

Then they vote for his map to stay in...

I know that my map does not deserve to be in the top 10, or anywhere near, but I was hoping that I could get some feedback from this contest, to make my map, and my future maps better. The way that this is currently going, it looks like only the 10 best/popular maps are going to get feedback, which I think is extremely un fair.

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
I bet that most people will vote from screenshots, and name recognition.

"Oh Dr. Spud! That guy won the last contest! Must have a good map!"

They then proceed to click on the thread...

Then they look at his fabulous screenshot...

Then they vote for his map to stay in...

I know that my map does not deserve to be in the top 10, or anywhere near, but I was hoping that I could get some feedback from this contest, to make my map, and my future maps better. The way that this is currently going, it looks like only the 10 best/popular maps are going to get feedback, which I think is extremely un fair.

No matter what happens. Well known mappers and maps will get more feedback, that's just what happens.

Can somebody tell me why people are assuming most people won't at least run through maps before they vote? Why are people making this assumption. I trust people enough to play/run through every map before deciding who to vote for, I know I did.

Geal

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 16, 2009
Why can't they happen at the same time? The whole point is to play now, and then cast your votes. If we do official testing for weeks, and then open the threads, everybody will have forgotten the map specifics or simply lost interest.

Although that's true, I think there should be at least a few days of testing time before voting opens. I mean hell votes were being cast in the thread not even ten minutes after it opened, and I seriously doubt that was enough time to play all the maps and get a good feel for the ten best! if anything giving two or three days of designated playtest time will at least help give everyone an equal chance. As Spud said, I'm sure many of the people who have voted have not played all of the maps.

Also, are the official judges going to be casting their top ten? Not that we even know who they are, so I suppose they could in the thread without us knowing.

Fraz

aa
Dec 28, 2008
Although that's true, I think there should be at least a few days of testing time before voting opens. I mean hell votes were being cast in the thread not even ten minutes after it opened, and I seriously doubt that was enough time to play all the maps and get a good feel for the ten best! if anything giving two or three days of designated playtest time will at least help give everyone an equal chance. As Spud said, I'm sure many of the people who have voted have not played all of the maps.

Also, are the official judges going to be casting their top ten? Not that we even know who they are, so I suppose they could in the thread without us knowing.

Most of us have played most of the maps in the past 6 or so months when they've been in development. I know I have, there were only one or two where I hadn't playtested them in a server with other people.

Nov 14, 2009
Well, thats a problem. If you are basing your votes off of what you saw a month, or two ago, then you shouldnt vote. At least, I hope thats not what the judges do...

Fraz

aa
Dec 28, 2008
Well, thats a problem. If you are basing your votes off of what you saw a month, or two ago, then you shouldnt vote. At least, I hope thats not what the judges do...

That's not what I'm saying... I've played most of the maps, through most of their development. Looked through the final submitted versions and then decided.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
IMO this is a repeat of some of the problems with the Swamp contest, writ larger.

Do it in multiple rounds or a bracket. When you present people with a smaller number of choices at one time, the odds are higher that they will actually play those choices.

Nov 14, 2009
Just a suggestion for the next contest:

Have people sign up to be popular voters about a week before the end. Next, split them up in to 4 groups, and split the maps in to 4 groups. These people will vote on the maps, and rate them on the same scale as other groups. Then, the top 3 from each group goes on to a next level, where full popular voting, and judge voting takes place.

Oh ya, and through all the levels, all the people in the group would have to rate EVERY MAP THEY WERE ASSIGNED.

This solves the current problem of none of the bad maps getting feedback, and tyranny of the majority.

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
I think getting the Preliminaries done and doing it like past contests afterward would be fine.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
Casual Pugs on US public server = awesome idea

easily accessible, and maps get more exposure. We don't exactly need good players, we just need it to be played with real comp settings.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
I just posted a vote on the prelims thread, but I'll be editing it the more pugs I play.

IE, I just discovered how fun bedrock can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.