koth_castletower

KotH koth_castletower a1

Sonoma

tf_logic_lesbian
aa
May 12, 2020
1644592582358.png

something went really wrong during your compile, see if you have any light entities inside a brush somewhere

Sonoma

tf_logic_lesbian
aa
May 12, 2020
1644592899884.png
1644592903162.png

For a first map this isn't half bad actually, there is plenty of verticality in the map which not a whole lot of new mappers understand when they first start, however while there is a good amount of height variation, there aren't a whole lot of sightline blockers, I would find a way to block some of these sightlines. This map is pretty big and wide with routes that completely bypass the point. From my experience of playtesting koth maps that have routes that completely bypass the point, it leads to a less focused map and prone to spawncamping.

1644593151965.png

this is the route in particular that I'm talking about, I think you could probably do away with it or find a way to condense it into the other routes.

Budman

L1: Registered
Dec 5, 2016
From my experience of playtesting koth maps that have routes that completely bypass the point, it leads to a less focused map and prone to spawncamping.

1644593151965.png

this is the route in particular that I'm talking about, I think you could probably do away with it or find a way to condense it into the other routes.
Two ideas I have would either be making access to this area one way that lets people come here from spawn OR scrapping the connection to spawn entirely and connecting to this cliff area via a tunnel from the lower watery area. Do either or those ideas seem like they'd have any problems that come to mind? Backup backup is to just turn this into an offshoot only accessible via the indoor area

I'm also going to be making this area less wide since its too big + I want the pickups to be riskier

something went really wrong during your compile, see if you have any light entities inside a brush somewhere
It's an issue with my lightings settings. I thought I'd figured it out but I guess not lol

Edit: Not my lighting settings, my environment light had some messed up values in it or something.

Last edited:

Budman

L1: Registered
Dec 5, 2016
Budman updated koth_castletower with a new update entry:

okay you're right it's not beta ready. here's a really rough looking redesign of the layouts

I apologize to anyone who didn't like that I called it "beta" before. I'd been using the versions really just for myself and didn't know there were community standards with them. I had been calling it beta as I had reached detailing and hadn't originally anticipated being able to get such a high quantity of feedback (I only realized my resource here with TF2 maps far into working on this).

I really appreciate the feedback I was able to get in my previous test and have made changes in an...

Read the rest of this update entry...