Ian Boswell's map reviews

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
Fair enough, I have watched only five of his vids, and assumed they were all like that.

strangemodule

L5: Dapper Member
Sep 10, 2009
I liked his reviews. It is nice to see someone who comes in with little to no expectations/knowledge and see how they react.

Tapp

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 26, 2009
If he plays tf2, his opinion is just as valid; maybe more valid, than everybody else's. He represents a demographic of tf2 players, one which is probably far larger than the group of mappers debating in this thread. You need to remember that a good map should appeal to as many tf2 players as possible, and you must achieve that by any means necessary. Just because he isn't an expert, and maybe hasn't played a lot of tf2, doesn't invalidate his opinion. Instead, learn from it and teach players like him in your maps. If he missed your finale, try adding a pre-finale effect, and vectors to draw attention to it. If he got lost, clarify your layout with arrows and well-placed windows. And if he failed to notice you game-changing flank route, then the pub players will too. There is not greater folly than to criticise your critics. That's my 2 cents.

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
This thread has gotten more painful than the map reviews themselves. The fucking opinion police has to come jump down the throat of anyone criticizing this guy? Really?

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2009
I think this guy has some problems with his reviews, namely him not actually playing the map beofre reviewing it. It looks like this is his first run-through of all the maps. On the other hand, he does bring some good insight into all the maps, as i never really noticed some of the things he said, as I was worrying about playing, not the color of the sky etc...

Westerhound

L5: Dapper Member
Feb 5, 2009
So would it be okay if he renamed them "first thoughts" or something like that cause they're not actually reviews?

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
Guys lets just all shut the hell up mmkay? You don't wanna take his opinions into account? Fine. You think he's too noob? Fine. The guy may not know as much as you or I do, but at least don't jump down his throat for doing something, out of his own time, that may or may not be helpful. Would you take it as bad if he made a well thought out post discussing his thoughts about your map in a showcase thread? Just leave the guy alone, just leave this thread alone, no need to start an arguement over it. This has gone on for far too long. Now, everybody shut, the hell, up.