Ian Boswell's map reviews

Discussion in 'Contests' started by Fearlezz, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Fearlezz

Fearlezz L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    ianboswell's review on some of the maps:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-bojZNQy5U"]YouTube- TF2 - PLR/A&D CTF Contest - Ctf_Vector Review[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj4BlMqPOxY"]YouTube- TF2 - PLR/A&D CTF Contest - PLR_Scoville Review[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu4n0eVgY4I"]YouTube- TF2 - PLR/A&D CTF Contest - PLR_Solitude Review[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT69YChSC1Q"]YouTube- TF2 - PLR/A&D CTF Contest - CTF_Snowdrift & CTF_Slate[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ug9Mzuj7GI"]YouTube- TF2 - PLR/A&D CTF Contest - PLR_Animus[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cijmDrAZGA"]YouTube- TF2 - PLR/A&D CTF Contest - PLR_Highwind[/ame]

He obviously isn't much in the TF2 universe but he sees things from a whole new perspective, which is very good for us mappers.

• Thanks Thanks x 11
  2. MrAlBobo

MrAlBobo L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    explain to me why this guy that so clearly never plays the game has several hats <_<

and his computer confuses me, lagging on vector, no frame drops on scoville

3. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    The voting thread is for just that, votes. /split

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Ravidge

aa Ravidge Grand Vizier

Positive Ratings:
    These are not really reviews of any stretch, but I guess it's a good way to show of the maps without having to open tf2.

5. tovilovan

tovilovan L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'd call them runthrough rather than reviews... I wonder how he can say the map is fun without playing it online... but nice videos though =)

6. Fearlezz

Positive Ratings:
    I think its interesting to see how the map is seen by others then just mappers here on the forums.

7. Dr. Spud

aa Dr. Spud Grossly Incandescent

Positive Ratings:
    "I'm a professional game designer. Rabble rabble rabble I don't know anything about TF2."

A for effort, but... that guy sort of failed. "It looks like there's a 2 side struggle, one side being blue the other being red..."

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  8. Rexy

aa Rexy The Kwisatz Haderach

Positive Ratings:
    It's crap. How do you review something if you don't know what you're talking about?

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  9. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    this is painful.

10. Ten19

Ten19 L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I couldn't finish these, I assume they're all just as bad as the first one. While it's interesting from an academic perspective to watch someone unfamiliar with the mechanics of a game try to assess the value of custom maps, I suspect it doesn't have any real use to the authors.

11. Icarus

aa Icarus

Positive Ratings:
    Not bad. He obviously had no preparation prior to making these, but I found it far more useful to observe his reactions to various elements in the environment. You can tell which parts confuses him, or parts he feels that are awkward.

• Thanks Thanks x 4
  12. Wegason

Wegason L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Those are awful, he doesn't even know how to play TF2 nor appreciates how TF2 is played.

13. FaTony

FaTony Banned

Positive Ratings:
    You guys don't see the point. It's how complete noob reacts to the game assets he don't know. When I first started TF2, I quickly became familiar with it's maps. The point is to make maps that are obvious, easy to understand and play from the first time.

• Thanks Thanks x 5
  14. Ten19

Ten19 L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    There's a difference in presenting yourself as a newb and presenting yourself as someone knowledgeable when you're secretly a noob.

15. Nutomic

Nutomic L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    He is not a complete noob. Actually, he is a mapper himself and made a map pack for portal, he just isnt familiar with tf2. But he can still tell about the visuals of a map (probably not about the gameplay).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYz8jDSk8_Q"]YouTube- Portal Map Pack Trailer - Hetzchase Nailway[/ame]

16. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    hes probably not a noob and a really talented guy. also, taking his review as a helpful compass on how your map will fare with new players is great.

but...

feedback in general from someone who doesnt even play the game is useless. its like me looking at his maps from portal and saying they are broken because there is no way i can jump from here to over there in this room.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Nutomic

Nutomic L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    He doesnt care about the gameplay, he just tells how he likes the visuals of a map, and the orientation (as far as i have seen). Therefor, he doenst need to know tf2 at all, he just needs to know what is possible in source, and what a good map must look like.

18. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    It was not too bad. Take it or leave it is feedback and free publicity for your map.

19. fubarFX

aa fubarFX The "raw" in "nodraw"

Positive Ratings:
    what is wrong with you guys? I mean come on, this dude took some serious time doing this. can't you guys appreciate it? this dude didn't do anything wrong. damnit he's giving exposure to some maps from the community and you guys are still complaining? I don't care if he's a tf2 noob and can't rocket jump for shit he's still giving a nice overview of some of the maps.

also, it's sad to say but your map WILL be played mostly by noobs. as a matter of fact you ARE making maps for noobs! other mappers can make their own maps ya know?

20. Fearlezz

Positive Ratings:
    Hes a game developer, not so familiar with the source engine, thats all. Hes not the type that sits and play all the time, and thats why, these vids are very useful, so we can improve our maps so it also makes sense to this type of players.