Ian Boswell's map reviews

Radaka

L420: High Member
May 24, 2009
I notice that he focused almost exclusively on detail work (much like Fearlezz).

EDIT: I smiled when he was looking for the intel to pop up again after capping 1-1 in Vector. The message that popped up immediately answered his question right as he was beginning to ask it.

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
He doesnt care about the gameplay, he just tells how he likes the visuals of a map

cough cough...round 2 scoville, he says something in the area of, huh, placeholder textures, i guess ill focus on the layout

and i dislike how he failed to capture the explosion on vector <_<

TMP

Ancient Pyro Main
aa
Aug 11, 2008
lol, he didn't realise it was going to explode.

He had nothing bad to say about most of the maps, I think it was pretty cool that he did that. Its a review from what he could do, so he did it. I think he did a good job.

Its not like those really mean much anyways, I mean, they're just one guy's opinions, even if he is stating them "Like a jackass" (Which I do believe he is not)

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
It's crap. How do you review something if you don't know what you're talking about?

How do you appeal to people that don't know the game with that attitude? I know what you're saying, but honestly, this presents a point of view that we really don't have.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Ian was looking for more maps to run through in the chat, I suggested Panic (naturally) and I think it turned out great! ;)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb51xtfUovA"]YouTube- TF2 - PLR/A&D CTF Contest - PLR_Panic[/ame]

It's pretty funny actually!

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
lol, he didn't realise it was going to explode.

Its mostly the fact that you could hear something happening in the background, he doesn't turn and shovels the ground then just barely notices an explosion <_<

and I like the panic one, was waiting for him to do it, panic has so much random crap in it I knew it would be amusing to watch

Sep 12, 2008
Ian was looking for more maps to run through in the chat, I suggested Panic (naturally) and I think it turned out great! ;)

YouTube- TF2 - PLR/A&D CTF Contest - PLR_Panic

It's pretty funny actually!

Hahah, but nothing can beat Cornfield! It's got rewarded Ian's "Awesomesauce" Prize!! =P

His reactions are very funny, but not really usefull imo, since his video stops at the start of stage 3. Apparently his tf2 crashed >_<

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3OxdP-ukzs"]YouTube- TF2 - PLR/A&D CTF Contest - PLR_Cornfield[/ame]

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H91jUBka_uw"]YouTube- TF2 - PLR/A&D CTF Contest - PLR_Nightfall[/ame]

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
How do you appeal to people that don't know the game with that attitude? I know what you're saying, but honestly, this presents a point of view that we really don't have.

but these maps are made for team fortress 2 players, by team fortress 2 players

it's like I went out and rated maps for Hello Kitty Adventure

Westerhound

L5: Dapper Member
Feb 5, 2009
Seems a bit useful to see how new players may eract if the server they're on suddenly changes to one of those maps. Like when he was bit confused in Panic where the cart was at stage 1 and how he went crazy when the carts rolled backwards and fell down to the dark hole

jpr

aa
Feb 1, 2009
I found it funny how he wanted to see the cap doors open in snowdrift but then he turned away for a second and missed it.
These aren't exactly the most useful reviews but they help you to see through a beginner's perspective... or something.
I just like everything that's about something I made

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
These are useful comments from a good game designer. Come on. Again, I notice you people really have trouble appreciating comments from people who aren't mappers too =/

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
The problem isn't that he is not a mapper. It's that he didn't play these maps at all except on his own.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
But he isn't entering his views into the competition as part of the vote marking scheme, so i don't know what your apparent concern is. He's merely commenting on the design out comes. He doesn't even go into how they play properly, and that obviously wasn't the point. As a game designer he is educated to think critically about such things, and everytime he does mention or predict certain gameplay mechanics he's 100% correct.

To claim he's naive in everything TF2 related because he isn't a hardcore fan is in itself naive. He references the TF2 commentary as part of the intents of TF2 as a 21st century game, and how these maps approach this design process set out by Valve. Nothing he says is out of line or jumping the gun. Plus he's as new to CTF A/D as any other player who hasn't played TFC, not to mention how these maps don't fully replicate the TFC style. So to watch him walk back and forth in confusion and frown upon his noobish behaviour is pretentious and arrogant.

It's always good to have a fresh perspective question something, whether it's wrong or right. It allows us to question things we believe we already know and have become complacent with.

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
But he isn't entering his views into the competition as part of the vote marking scheme, so i don't know what your apparent concern is. He's merely commenting on the design out comes. He doesn't even go into how they play properly, and that obviously wasn't the point. As a game designer he is educated to think critically about such things, and everytime he does mention or predict certain gameplay mechanics he's 100% correct.

To claim he's naive in everything TF2 related because he isn't a hardcore fan is in itself naive. He references the TF2 commentary as part of the intents of TF2 as a 21st century game, and how these maps approach this design process set out by Valve. Nothing he says is out of line or jumping the gun. Plus he's as new to CTF A/D as any other player who hasn't played TFC, not to mention how these maps don't fully replicate the TFC style. So to watch him walk back and forth in confusion and frown upon his noobish behaviour is pretentious and arrogant.

It's always good to have a fresh perspective question something, whether it's wrong or right. It allows us to question things we believe we already know and have become complacent with.

I never said I have a concern about this, or think it's terrible - it's a nicely made video, with some interesting notes, but there's so much wrong and so much he says that really doesn't work out like that in gameplay that people might get the wrong idea about a lot of these maps. A refreshing perspective is nice, yes, but if my refreshing perspective is "the sky is green", it's not going to help.

I just wish he would've made these videos with like the help of a STV demo, not a run-though on his own :)

Last edited:

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
but these maps are made for team fortress 2 players, by team fortress 2 players

it's like I went out and rated maps for Hello Kitty Adventure

They do have excellent balancing.

Fearlezz

L10: Glamorous Member
May 4, 2008
A refreshing perspective is nice, yes, but if my refreshing perspective is "the sky is green", it's not going to help.

Depends completely how you see it. Did you expect all the answers and solutions to be thrown at you? No.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
if my refreshing perspective is "the sky is green", it's not going to help.

+Colour is invariable data, not an opinion; and i fail to see these "there's so much wrong and so much he says that really doesn't work out like that in gameplay" moments. He discusses the merits of layout choices and that's as close as he comes to discussing any sort of gameplay elements.

If you watch through all the video's you'll also notice he has played some of these maps online as well.