How to post a map in this forum! (READ ME!)

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Hey guys!

So now we have the big fancy working download section of the forums. If you are going to be making a map thread for the workshop to gather feedback and discussion about your map, you will want to make sure you follow these steps. You don't need to do this exactly, but it's a super useful feature.

If you want to have a map hosted on our servers, you will want want to follow these steps:

IF YOU ARE CREATING A NEW MAP THAT DID NOT EXIST ON THE OLD FORUMS. (THAT IS. YOU ARE POSTING A NEW MAP FOR THE FIRST TIME)
  1. Click "Downloads" at the top of the webpage.
  2. Create a download in the category "Maps." You can set whatever you want your gamemode is.
  3. Also set which version number it is.
  4. Fill in the appropriate fields. Map name, description, pictures, etc.
  5. When done, click save. This will create a thread with the maps name in THIS forum.
  6. You can then go to this thread and edit it as much as you want.
  7. If you wish to update your map, just go back to the download page that you created and update it as needed. The download page will keep track of all versions and changes that you make. No more having to format a change log!
  8. Return to your thread and edit anything else you need.
THATS IT. Super simple, super streamlined, super nice.

IF YOU HAVE AN EXISTING MAP THREAD IN THE WORKSHOP SUBFORUM AND IF YOU WANT TO HAVE YOUR MAP FILE HOSTED VIA THE ON-SITE FILE HOSTER, PLEASE READ THESE STEPS.
I will leave this thread open for questions.

1. Go to the "downloads" tab at the top.
  1. Click "Add Download"
  2. Click the black box next to "Category" and click "Import Queue" at the bottom.
  3. As the *FIRST* line of your new download description, please include the thread ID, or link to the NEW FORUMS thread id. That is, go to the map workshop subforum and find your maps thread, link it in the new download panel.
  4. Fill in the rest of the information for your download
    • Title is the name of your map
    • Version string is the version (a5, b1, rc63)
    • Download Type allows you to either use an external link to upload your map, or click "Upload your Download" and you can browse to your download from your local computer.
    • Description is where you'll tell us about your map.
    • Additional Information URL is a great place to put a workshop link, if your map has it. If there is any other place that has a more information about your map, you can put it there also.
    • Click "Upload Images..." this will allow you to add up to 5 images to your download.
    • If you tick "Upload Download icon" this will allow you to add a thumbnail-like image of your map. Think of this image as like, a cover of a book, but for your map! You will add this image after you do the next step.
  5. Click "Save." This will add your map to the download list and automatically create a thread for you, if you don't already have one.
  6. Thats it!

Last edited:

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
Awesome, but seeing cp_theory up in the recent threads it's odd that there are two near-identical-looking threads there.

Edit: Meaning, both threads are under Map Workshop, but one is the map description, while the other is to link to the resource thread.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I just deleted the duplicate myself but that's also because I didn't follow proper procedure on importing old maps.

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
tyler said:
I just deleted the duplicate myself but that's also because I didn't follow proper procedure on importing old maps.

OK, cool. Also just figured out the new quote, so that's also cool.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
So how come, when I go to post to the import queue, the only map types available are "multi stage" and "medieval"?

Also, someone brought up the possibility of one of the sysadmins running a find-and-replace script on the database to automatically fix old Steam Screenshot hotlinks. Is that a possibility?

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Because those are tags. "Import" is the same field used for CP, KOTH, PL, etc. It will be changed once you import and an admin fixes it up. The import queue just doesn't create a thread when you add a resource so that we can make sure the old thread gets tied to it properly.

killohurtz

Distinction in Applied Carving
aa
Feb 22, 2014
Those prefixes are sort of misleading - you only need to select one of those if it fits your map. The actual gamemode tag is not available in the import queue, and the map will be sorted into its correct category by whoever processes it from the queue.