TF2Maps.net New Site Information Mega Thread

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Hello everyone and welcome to the new forums!

Before you go off and starting poking random buttons, make sure you read this guide! We don't want a repeat of what happened the last time some un-named cool staff member did that. This thread is the portal to all the major changes you need to know about.

New important stuff
  • Ads. Ads are now gone for all logged in users. If you are logged in, regardless of if you are a VIP member, veteran or not, you will not see ads.
  • The forum upgrade greatly increases optimization and speed of the website. It also allows us to do many new things that we haven't been able to before. This includes:
    • New ways to notify users of events.
    • Better moderation tools.
    • Better cohesion between different sections of the website, see below.
    • Improved private messaging system
    • Improved media tagging
    • New poll tools
    • New and increased user profile … stuff…
    • New rating and review system for resources (which we encourage)
    • And a lot more stuff we forgot. We encourage you to explore all options, nooks and crannies.
  • The 'old' downloads of TF2Maps.net will be archived and will be linked via the new downloads section of the forum. Downloads will need to be imported onto the new site. For information on how to help with that, please see this thread.
How to port your map over from the old forum database

All old forum posts will be preserved with the move. You will find your map thread right where you left it, but not necessarily how you found it. All maps can now be hosted via our downloads section. If you create a map and upload it onto the downloads section, it will AUTOMATICALLY create a forum thread for you, with your download linked in. You will be free to edit the thread in the map workshop however you wish. This also applies to all non-map assets. They will each get their own thread in their respective places.

IF YOU HAVE AN EXISTING MAP THREAD IN THE WORKSHOP SUBFORUM AND .
IF YOU WANT TO HAVE YOUR MAP FILE HOSTED VIA THE ON-SITE FILE HOSTER, PLEASE READ THESE STEPS.
  1. Go to the "Download" tab at the top.
  2. Click "Add Download"
  3. Click the black box next to "Category" and click "Import Queue" at the bottom.
  4. As the *FIRST* line of your new download description, please include the thread ID, or link to the NEW FORUMS thread id. That is, go to the map workshop subforum and find your maps thread, link it in the new download panel.
  5. Fill in the rest of the information for your resource
    • Title is the name of your map
    • Version string is the version (a5, b1, rc63)
    • Download Type allows you to either use an external link to upload your map, or click "Upload File" and you can browse to your download from your local computer.
    • Description is where you'll tell us about your map.
    • Additional Information URL is a great place to put a workshop link, if your map has it. If there is any other place that has a more information about your map, you can put it there also.
    • Click "Upload Images..." this will allow you to add up to 5 images to your download.
    • If you tick "Upload download icon" this will allow you to add a thumbnail-like image of your map. Think of this image as like, a cover of a book, but for your map! You will add this image after you do the next step.
  6. Click "Save." This will add your map to the download list and automatically create a thread for you, if you don't already have one.
  7. Thats it!

If you would like to help move assets and maps over of inactive members, follow the same steps above, just make sure to do step 3. A moderator will be able to change ownership of the thread so that they receive proper credit.

VIP subscription changes:

With the new forum software, we have decided to change a few things about VIP.
The new price of VIP is $2.99USD per month subscription
  • VIP perks are:
    • Custom HTML allowed in title (Umbrellas are good!)
    • Max avatar size of 512KB (Might allow animated ones)
    • Max of 3 images in signatures. (Veterans have 1. Everyone else, 0)
    • Max of 10 recipients in private messages.
    • Can arrange widgets on homepage (homepage customization!)
    • The same VIP server stuff as previously
    • … And the feeling of supporting a community that you love!

• All existing VIPs have had their VIP extended accordingly.
  • We hope to accept Stripe as a method of payment, in addition to paypal.
  • If you were someone who had VIP until 2025 (looking at you swamp guys), you have VIP permanently.
How to upload maps for the time being
The site uploader is working, just needs to have some things tweaked. It is possible for VIP's and staff to use said uploader. If you are a VIP and need to upload a map, you can use this link to do so. Yes, it will 'complete with errors:' As long as it is blank, you're fine.

FAQ
What happened to the old download section?
Unfortunately, we're going to have to start manually moving things maps, props, textures, etc. Over from the archives into the new resource system.

Can I help move things from the archive to the new site?
Yes! You can help move assets over. Simply follow the instructions above. Please include any pictures of the assets, along with their descriptions. If there is a thread associated with the asset, link that too. Maybe sure it goes into the "Import Queue" category when you upload. The mods will take it from there. The asset doesn't even need to be owned by you! We can reassign its owner when it gets uploaded here.

If I help, do I get anything?
Yup! If you upload 30 assets to the new system, you get 1 month of VIP. For each asset you upload after that, you get an extra day of VIP. 1 "asset" is would be like, a texture pack or a big prop or a popular, but inactive map. If a file has 30 textures in it, for example, that'll still count as one.

Please keep track of the number of maps you've imported, we'll be asking you for it when we come round to giving out VIP. We're doing this based on an honour system, so please don't lie :(.

That's the quick run down for now, I'll be updating this as we go.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
Please just tell me that this mean you can remove a poll from a thread.

Then I'll be happy.

Osspial

L2: Junior Member
Jul 21, 2015
It seems that code is broken on the new forums.
5Ery5A1.png

ibex

aa
Sep 1, 2013
Leaving feedback here, because idk where else.
BKGDTfM.png

I actually like the old way of being able to see all the people that "like" or "thank" the thing.

edit: The bar does have a lot of extra space behind the "like this." anyway, and this new interface leaves a lot of space under messages as is.

Last edited:

Kube

aa
Aug 31, 2014
@ibex I would disagree with you, I think that it's a nice way to reduce clutter and unneeded information. But I see what you mean.

ibex

aa
Sep 1, 2013
@Auwi it brings up an overlay list, if it simply expanded in the bar that would be fine.

edit: It's just a feedback thing, not a big deal.

Osspial

L2: Junior Member
Jul 21, 2015
I also just noticed that links to threads on the old forum are now broken. Is this just something that needs a switch-flip to fix, or is it going to be more complicated than that?

Edit: Welp, it's fixed.

Last edited:

Kube

aa
Aug 31, 2014
Captain_Clam said:
I dunno, I always enjoyed being met with a wall of thanks on a good tutorial and thinking, "Wow, this is a big thing"
I totally agree with you on that front, I just hope seeing a large number can portray something similar without sacrificing simplicity.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Another thing- I just noticed that it is no longer possible to see all threads a user has created. This was a rather useful feature, and I'd like to see it brought back, if possible. Unless, of course, I'm just being dumb and don't see it.
sxDHy3R.png

Kube

aa
Aug 31, 2014
oh noes can't delete this post? let me see...

Edit: Nope, no more hiding your embarrassing mistakes in life, unless you physically edit them out of existence. sad.