How to make bottomless pits?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Evader.Mid, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Evader.Mid

Evader.Mid L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    That kills anyone who enters it

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  2. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    Make a relatively deep pit, then put the black_gradient overlay on the cliffsides.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
  4. Deanykong

Deanykong L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Kill_the_Bug

Kill_the_Bug L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    1. Make it a really, really deep.
    2. Try uisng the black gradient thing mentioned above or
    3. Bottom of pit has func_illusionary bottom (player passes through it
    4. Player falls into room black all sides and hits func_teleporter - teleports to room
    5. Inside this room (all black) suspend the player somehow off the floor (so no footstesp)
    6. Then fire your kill trigger - depending on how nasty you want to be is the timer length - you'll want to make it long enought so that people will go f-me and just opening the console and typing kill.

Lastly you will need to have a wind sound to simulate falling.

Don't put one of these near a fianl cap zone.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  6. Deanykong

Deanykong L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    That was deviously beautiful, sir.

7. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    If you must do that, and I wouldnt, keep the timer short. 2 seconds, perhaps. Nobody likes to be kept away from their respawn. This is worse than the Sandman.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  8. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    Having a map mechanic that encourages a player to open his console to type a command to commit suicide, i would say is a poor mechanic.

Incidently, the black gradient is essential as VRAD has trouble calculating accurate colours in low lighting conditions. Relying on a natural blend to darkness unfortunately results in blue and purple blotches, plus the gradient allows you to control a decent into darkness faster as light bounces often illuminate an area more than you'd normally desire. This also means you can kill the player within a reasonable space of time.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  9. tyler

Positive Ratings:
    It's not that VRAD has trouble; it has to do with the lighting formulas Valve uses for rim lighting.

10. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    I'm curious whether setting this to fall damage will affect the trajectory of the ragdoll in any way. And by that I mean, will it prevent it from getting thrown back out of the hole like in JeanPaul's latest map?

11. tyler

Positive Ratings:
    No, you have to set the damage force to zero. The actual option for it is a double negative so it's a bit confusing.

12. xzzy

aa xzzy

Positive Ratings:
    Yes it will. We had it set to the default on Stoneyridge for a long time, and it threw ragdolls around in comical fashion.

You need it set to "fall" to get the "clumsy painful death" kill notice too.

edit - seeing yyler's post I guess that means we just had the damage force set

13. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah we had damage force on. I fixed that one. :p

14. Wander

Wander L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'm not sure, but if that would be a problem, one could use the phys_ragdollmagnet entity to keep ragdolls down and make sure they dont fly back up

15. spekkio

spekkio L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    There's a property within the trigger_hurt called "Zero Damage Force." Set that to yes, and the body will properly ragdoll and fall, instead of rocketing around spasmodically when hit by the trigger. Hope that helps!